flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Top 3: Things that must be killed in 2017

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
system error

system error
I've made some small notes of 3 horrible things that should be kicked out of the civilization for good, before or by 2017.

1. Windows Help
Ever since I started using Windows, this never once help me solving any one of my computing problem. This is the worst Help System you can ever find on earth, not to mention the size of some gigabytes of this piece of shit that consumes your hard disk for nothing. What I want to say is, Microsoft should just SHUT THE HELL UP and stop trying to help and stop pretending to help the "customers". It's a complete waste of time, money and disk space. This one is a lost cause.

2. Adobe Reader
This horrid software gets bigger and bloated by the day almost to the point of explosion. That's not all. This memory hog stays resident like a street whore waiting to spread the disease to the male population, and appears in your start up list to further slow your PC down. The objective? Just to prepare your PC to read a single PDF document, regardless if you want to read one or not. If you threw this one to Mars, there's chance that the poor planet would explode upon impact due to overflow or something like that. It's that bad, buddy! This must go by January 1, 2017.

3. Windows Update
I don't know how to actually kill this one, but you get the idea. I used to spend 2 days (and nights!) just to update the entire department's computers to some "cummulative update" as per Microsoft recommendations. A PC took about 3 hours to download and install those blasphemous thingies and just when you thought it was done, IT ROLLS BACK the entire update just because somewhere half-way, Windows couldn't handle their own BS with some KB3xxxxBS patch or whatever that had nothing to do with me. The entire rollback took almost half an hour. Imagine doing 30 computers! And imagine the entire department depending on those PC to run the day-to-day affairs came to a complete halt for 2 working days. This one almost cost me my job.

So there you have it. My 2017 wishlist. Let me hear yours.
Post 17 Nov 2016, 03:17
YONG

YONG
The first thing that we need to eradicate right here right now is any imminent system error!

Wink
Post 17 Nov 2016, 03:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
nice thread, count me in,

1. violence, bully must be banished away from earth,

2. respect, appreciation must be prioritized from kids age (which means disrespect & unappreciation should go way)

3. truth, humanity & justice should be the way of living (which means all kinds of uncommon sense beliefs system should be gradually fend off)

above are what i intended globally and for personal growth,

in operating system & android, ios, software context:
1. all kinds of win 10 buntu software telemetry that shares info back to builder, invade users privacy should be default off, until users opt in

2. internet should exists like oxygen for humanity, (paid & higher quality for those who want premium oxygen)

3. the security & permission context for software in os should be revamped to more user and per function api centric,
Post 17 Nov 2016, 03:55
typedef

typedef
sleepsleep wrote:
3. the security & permission context for software in os should be revamped to more user and per function api centric,

Or maybe permission groups? Such as (FileIOAllPermission which could contain: FileCreate, FileRead, FileWrite, FileDelete, FileChangeTime)

I like how the new Android asks the user to manually grant the permissions so they know what actually is going on.
Post 17 Nov 2016, 04:12
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
1. Countries and patriotism.
2. Religions and beliefs in gods.
3. Greed.
Post 17 Nov 2016, 05:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jazz

jazz
1. Linux and its kiddo fantrolls.
2. Pop music.
3. Religions.
Post 17 Nov 2016, 15:09
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
I like revolution's list, but I believe those all could fall under egoistic thinking.

1) Egoism

2) Dualism

Who doesn't want to divide things up? You're in, or you're out. It's an easy first step, but rarely is anything complex of a dual nature. People are usually forced into choices and given limited options.

3) either (1) or (2), lol. Razz

I use SumatraPDF for some years now, and Chrome has been able to view PDF's for a long time - even PDF forms. Adobe marketing has killed their reader.

Windows Update cycle has me using tools which largely exist outside of Windows - it's often easier to re-install the OS than open it up to the whims of Microsoft. This added pressure has gradually decreased the need for Windows - it's just not as convenient as it once was. I don't see it going away in 2017 though.

Post 17 Nov 2016, 17:08
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
sleepsleep wrote:

2. internet should exists like oxygen for humanity, (paid & higher quality for those who want premium oxygen)

saw this today,

SpaceX plans worldwide satellite Internet with low latency, gigabit speed
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/11/spacex-plans-worldwide-satellite-internet-with-low-latency-gigabit-speed/

great with elon musk
Quote:
Elon Reeve Musk (/ˈiːlɒn ˈmʌsk/; born June 28, 1971) is a South African-born Canadian-American business magnate, investor, engineer, and inventor.

He is the founder, CEO, and CTO of SpaceX; co-founder, CEO, and product architect of Tesla Motors; co-founder and chairman of SolarCity; co-chairman of OpenAI; co-founder of Zip2; and founder of X.com which merged with PayPal of Confinity. As of June 2016, he has an estimated net worth of US$11.5 billion, making him the 83rd wealthiest person in the world.
Post 17 Nov 2016, 23:28
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
typedef wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:

Or maybe permission groups? Such as (FileIOAllPermission which could contain: FileCreate, FileRead, FileWrite, FileDelete, FileChangeTime)

I like how the new Android asks the user to manually grant the permissions so they know what actually is going on.

but too bad, only recent android devices having the possibility to get upgraded into new android nougat Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

as you mentioned, i suggest permission groups apis should be how stuffs are implemented in future, maybe a linux kernel rewrite? idk or a freebsd kernel modification,

how i wish i were smarter Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Post 17 Nov 2016, 23:34
typedef

typedef
Adobe PDF must go.

My replacement proposal: Computable Document Format.

http://www.wolfram.com/cdf/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eu7oPLm2XA

Now tell me that's not better than Acrobat Reader.
Post 18 Nov 2016, 03:04
revolution

revolution
typedef wrote:
My replacement proposal: Computable Document Format.

http://www.wolfram.com/cdf/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eu7oPLm2XA
Yet another "active document". How can we be sure it won't become just another vector for malware delivery?

Maybe I could add a fourth thing to my list:
4. Malware vectors into computers.
Post 18 Nov 2016, 03:38
YONG

YONG
I wonder why no-one has mentioned Adobe Flash, which causes endless security issues.

Wink
Post 18 Nov 2016, 04:01
revolution

revolution
YONG wrote:
I wonder why no-one has mentioned Adobe Flash, which causes endless security issues.
Already covered in my rogue fourth option above.
Post 18 Nov 2016, 04:08
ford

ford
1. Intel monopoly
2. inflationary monetary policy
3. non-user-upgradable computers
Post 18 Nov 2016, 04:54
typedef

typedef
revolution wrote:
YONG wrote:
Already covered in my rogue fourth option above.

Flash has kind of been obsolete now due to HTML5's presence. Even though I've encountered some websites using it.
Post 18 Nov 2016, 21:57
YONG

YONG
typedef wrote:
Flash has kind of been obsolete now due to HTML5's presence.
Really? Take a look at the following articles:

Why Do Streaming Websites Still Use Flash?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-04-22/.101345

Major Websites That Still Use Flash Player, and Why
http://neurogadget.net/2016/09/04/major-websites-still-use-flash-player/38924

Wink
Post 19 Nov 2016, 03:38
typedef

typedef
YONG wrote:
typedef wrote:
Flash has kind of been obsolete now due to HTML5's presence.
Really? Take a look at the following articles:

Why Do Streaming Websites Still Use Flash?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-04-22/.101345

Major Websites That Still Use Flash Player, and Why
http://neurogadget.net/2016/09/04/major-websites-still-use-flash-player/38924

Wink

Well that explains it. I don't use streaming websites. I only use YouTube and occasionally some websites that use Flash. But I don't encounter it on a daily basis.
Post 19 Nov 2016, 09:30
rugxulo

rugxulo
revolution wrote:
1. Countries and patriotism.

Exactly how many countries are you (or have you been) a citizen/resident? What did they do to you to cause you to distrust or dislike them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anationalism (sennaciismo)

Quote:
2. Religions and beliefs in gods.

Exactly how many religions have you personally been educated in and participated as an active member? What do they believe that causes you to not believe (due to personal circumstances)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_Christ_the_King

Quote:
3. Greed.

As defined by whom? Compared to what, the virtue of charity?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_virtues

N.B. I don't really want an answer to these rhetorical questions. It's not worth arguing. You're obviously a reasonably smart guy/gal, you can figure it out. I just hope you aren't oversimplifying the problems of the world, which can't be solved or avoided with only blind cynicism.
Post 20 Nov 2016, 10:27
revolution

revolution
rugxulo wrote:
Exactly how many countries are you (or have you been) a citizen/resident? What did they do to you to cause you to distrust or dislike them?
I don't see how the question is relevant. One doesn't need to live in any particular place(s) to see what is happening and has happened in the world.
rugxulo wrote:
Exactly how many religions have you personally been educated in and participated as an active member? What do they believe that causes you to not believe (due to personal circumstances)?
One doesn't need to have been a member of anything to see what happens and has happened because of it.
rugxulo wrote:
[Greed] As defined by whom? Compared to what, the virtue of charity?
Greed is a relative term. My definition as the desire for more than is needed.
rugxulo wrote:
N.B. I don't really want an answer to these rhetorical questions.
Oops, too late. Razz
Post 20 Nov 2016, 12:55
system error

system error
sleepsleep wrote:
nice thread, count me in,

1. violence, bully must be banished away from earth,

2. respect, appreciation must be prioritized from kids age (which means disrespect & unappreciation should go way)

3. truth, humanity & justice should be the way of living (which means all kinds of uncommon sense beliefs system should be gradually fend off)

above are what i intended globally and for personal growth,

in operating system & android, ios, software context:
1. all kinds of win 10 buntu software telemetry that shares info back to builder, invade users privacy should be default off, until users opt in

Obviously, you are a social activist.
Post 21 Nov 2016, 22:59

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: