flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Hearing Code?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
take5

take5
After taking another dip into ARM assembly it got me thinking. Assembly has a fairly regular structure/syntax. Would it be possible to translate instructions into sound in a readable way? Like the text-to-speech systems employed for blind users, but less ugly.

Maybe by mapping the instruction set to music theory. Opcodes could be associated with chords and values/registers could be expressed through riffs and melodies. You could "read" a block of code as a 12 second piece of music.

Of course I'm not confident I would prefer it to using a nice big screen filled with code. But if I could listen to a piece of code with a piece of paper in front of me taking notes it would be worth it.
Post 10 Mar 2016, 20:59
Trinitek

Trinitek
I can imagine trying to sleep and hearing assembly notes in my head. It would be miserable.
Post 11 Mar 2016, 06:38
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
hi take5,

i think this is one great idea,
i could memorize song easier compare to memorizing codes,

trigger music audio to logic, i don't know how hard it would be, i don't think i ever experience such yet,

a+b=c
if c > 0 then
do d
else
do e
endif

how to change them to music that able to get the same idea like how we read them through eyes?
it should be possible, but maybe with new born civilization ?

if you read my dream log, i encountered a different kinda of programming in dream lately, using audio and colors, they are a bit different, kinda forgot since memories about dream fade very fast.

but during dream, the song stop (like debug) after some time of playing. like encountering error.
Post 11 Mar 2016, 20:52
take5

take5
@Trinitek I completely agree, but I'm convinced there's a way around that. Maybe some sounds won't have that effect (wooden percussion?)

@sleepsleep I'm not sure how it would affect our mental "picture" of an instruction. But I'd like to think that it will be more expressive.
Post 12 Mar 2016, 04:07

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: