flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > ancient text and prophecies

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
hi, wanna know if anyone here, seriously, or profesionnally use their time to study ancient texts or prophecies, eg. Edgar Cayce? Nostradamus
Post 27 Jan 2009, 00:05
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I use my time to study modern texts, eg. Intel, AMD, ARM.

Just give me the facts. Ancient predictions and fictions: no thanks.
Post 27 Jan 2009, 04:01
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
I study ancient texts, but mostly related to christianity.

Anyway, I have seen few commentaries from people who read actual text of nostradamus (not just some commentaries about it), and said that it is so vague and unprecise that at least some parts hardly can NOT be fulfilled.
Post 27 Jan 2009, 12:46
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
Nostradamus isn't really "ancient", is he? Wink

vid, I think you should share more about the texts you're studying. I feel you've got quite professional approach in that area.
Post 27 Jan 2009, 12:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
vid, I think you should share more about the texts you're studying. I feel you've got quite professional approach in that area.

I try to be. So far my articles are in Slovak only, as I think there are quite enough articles existing in english on such topics, but very little in Slovak.

But I may translate one that I didn't find elsewhere sometime, about early christian dating of jesus birth.
Post 27 Jan 2009, 14:27
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
sleepsleep: Here you go http://www.propheties.it/petertranslation.htm

It often even identifies source that Nostradamus used, even though he claimed he used astrology, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostradamus#Nostradamus.27s_sources

Let me know which unlikely prophecy was fulfilled already.
Post 27 Jan 2009, 14:35
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i been stucked with this guy recently, edgar cayce.
http://books.google.com/books?q=edgar+cayce

thanks vid, will read that url later.
but nostradamus quatrains just too hard for me to understand even in english...
Post 27 Jan 2009, 15:02
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
This is a good opportunity to check intellectual honesty of that Edgar guy. Look up something he claims about Nostradamus' prophecies, and then look at what the actual prophecy really says.

My experience (with biblical prophecies though) is that whenever I do such check, it turns out to be one of following:
- the prophecy was misrepresented by one who claims it was fulfilled ("young woman has given birth to Immanuel" -> "Jesus will be born of virgin", Isaiah 7:13)
- it was made after event happened and backdated (Book of Daniel)
- it is obvious to eventually happen (empire will collapse, nation will be defeated)
- it so vague you can almost anything into it (see Nostradamus).
Post 27 Jan 2009, 15:48
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
check out this Nostradamus 1979 documentary,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRkmmfJ5BzU

2015 - 1979 = 36 years

lots of prophecies validated.

some of the keywords, 2 suns, december, new york, nuclear war,
Post 21 Dec 2015, 21:46
revolution

revolution
The predictions of Nostradamus were so vague that they can apply to almost anything. If you look to match a specific event with one of the predictions then it is almost guaranteed there will be a match if you are prepared to use a bit of twisting of meanings. But that doesn't mean the predictions are anything special, just that they are written in such a way that they could be anything.

So Nostradamus does not impress me in any way as far as predicting anything, because essentially it predicts everything (both for and against events) if you want it to. Where Nostradamus impresses me is with the writing style that allows for such ambiguity and causes people to try their best to make it true
Post 21 Dec 2015, 23:38
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
revolution,
what is your view on the ability that able to foresee future?
or such ability is impossible?
Post 22 Dec 2015, 19:00
revolution

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
revolution,
what is your view on the ability that able to foresee future?
or such ability is impossible?
It is not impossible because we can predict many things. It is nothing special. Everyday we all predict hundreds of things throughout out normal day. But there is a difference between predicting things a few seconds (or hours, perhaps days) ahead of time and a few centuries. As the time period gets longer the uncertainty gets larger. Over very long periods predictions are only very general. I encourage you read read up about the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (and related: the Butterfly Effect).

Making specific predictions (not vague nonsense like Nostradamus) would be extremely difficult, but not impossible. It is not impossible because there is always the chance that someone will guess correctly. But this is purely based upon probability, not based upon some innate "seeing" ability.
Post 23 Dec 2015, 00:30
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
I encourage you read read up about the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (and related: the Butterfly Effect).
That sounds too academic to me.

Let me suggest something even more academic:

Scientists cast doubt on Heisenberg's uncertainty principle
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120907125154.htm

Seriously, I would suggest sleepsleep read the following topics:

Self-fulfilling prophecy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-fulfilling_prophecy

Emergence
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence

Wink
Post 23 Dec 2015, 07:57

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: