flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > What's your favourite programming language and why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Coty

Coty
@f0dder: I'm curios, I haven't looked into C# much, but compared to C or C++ how much on a scale of 1 to 10 is it better in performance?

I have not looked into very far because the IDE is very slow and take for ever for me to get around on my netbook. (like when your trying to read a worn diskette on win 3.1 and you have to watch that flashlight find and lose the folder like a million times.)
Post 17 Jan 2011, 18:01
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Tyler

Tyler
Quote:

I haven't looked into C# much, but compared to C or C++ how much on a scale of 1 to 10 is it better in performance?

-5, it's managed. Razz
Post 17 Jan 2011, 21:42
prino

prino
Number 1: PL/I

It's complex and primarily available on z/OS, although there is a fairly complete implementation for OS/2(!) and Linux available from Iron Spring, and a full Windows version from IBM in its RDz product (if you've got in excess of USD 5k to spare...). The famous Multics OS was actually written in a dialect of PL/I!

Number 2: REXX

It's almost an interpreted version of PL/I. It's available as open source on about any OS you can think of, and unlike Perl it's actually readable. There is even an OO version available.

Number 3: Virtual Pascal (with a healthy dose of in-line assembler)

Turbo Pascal, but in a full 32-bit package, that sadly will not be updated anymore.

Post 18 Jan 2011, 11:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
Bjarne Stroustrup wrote:

There are only two kinds of languages: the ones people complain about and the ones nobody uses.
Post 20 Jan 2011, 01:37
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
typedef

typedef
These are the languages I have touched, and by touching I mean understanding their code flow and at least I have written a "Hello World " proggy.

1. C/C++ (Especially C++ Very Happy)
WHY:
I'll be going into video game industry and so this is a must. And I just love the fact that I don't have to be PUSHing and POPing registers.
Do I still use it : YES !

2. Assembly
. Well, apart from knowing HLL, it is a must for me to know what's going on beneath the system, because when the time I get into coding games, I'd have to make sure I know how the system handles data and the like.
ASM knowledge will also be good for developing production tools and Reverse Engeneering, and YES , code obfustication and encryption ; JAJAJAJA Very Happy

I'm more into it now than ever before..... it has become my fav, thanks to FASM, Flat Assembler, to me it's my First AsseMbler....ever used.

DO I still use it : YES !, It brought me here, DUH !

3. JAVA

I use JAVA for fun. Very Happy
Do I still use it : YES, for school work mostly

4. QBASIC
Used it and will never use it again.

5. Visual Basic / .NET

WHY :
Simplifies coding.
But too much file linking and so it results in "big" files.
And I hate the "You need MS .NET Framework to run this program" Message.

I don't use it any more. Well, last time I used it was about a yr and some months ago

6 C#

WHY :
Like JAVA Very Happy, Yes, but Alas, I have no interest in .NET shit anymore. I don't use it, but I'm pretty sure somewhere in the future, I'll get back to it. (It'll be pain in the ass as I don't like .NET anymore Very Happy, hope there will be new OS's then, or maybe Yet I;d have hacked and leaked XP Source code Cool )

7. Python
Ehhm, 2 yrs have passed since I touched it.
Good but not my Interest, I don't use it anymore.

8. PHP

HAHA...Hell YEah!!!.

9 JavaScript

Yep,.....Have you ever heard of JSON and AJAX ? that's my web food.

10 Windows Batch script

Hell this is a language too, I'm not ashamed to call my self a batch programmer. In fact, I'm MS certitified (LOL JK )

11 X / HTML

HTML yes...
BTW ...
I coded this site Rolling Eyes

12 WOMEN

Oh yeah, I love to program them too : Heheheh.
Deep fried marsbars bayyybeeeeee...

Sorry for my Sarcasm. But that's just how I grew up. Very Happy
Post 22 Feb 2011, 05:49
f0dder

f0dder
typedef: you don't mind Java but you dislike C#/.NET? How long is it since you've used C#? Smile
Post 22 Feb 2011, 09:13
typedef

typedef
f0dder wrote:
typedef: you don't mind Java but you dislike C#/.NET? How long is it since you've used C#? Smile

2 yrs.

The reason why i don't like C# is because of .NET Framework

JAVA uses JRE which is 90% guaranteed to be already installed on machines.(Including linux, yeah ! )
As compared to .NET Framework, which takes about 1 to 2 Hrs to download.

And I would have loved it if MS made .NET programs link directly to Native API instead of going through .NET shit because they take a little time loading (Beep Beep, Looking for .NET Framework !..Beep .NET vers found: 1. Please update to .NET Version 4.xxx WTF!) I don't like that.

I have Visual Studio installed on my PC though Very Happy
Post 22 Feb 2011, 17:27
f0dder

f0dder
typedef wrote:
JAVA uses JRE which is 90% guaranteed to be already installed on machines.(Including linux, yeah ! )
Really? I often come across machines with .NET but without Java - especially since .NET is shipped by default with recent Windows versions. And most of the linux distros I've used don't install Java by default either - for some distros, you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get it installed.

typedef wrote:
As compared to .NET Framework, which takes about 1 to 2 Hrs to download.
If you're on dialup, perhaps - but sure, the JRE distributable is smaller (~16meg for jre-6u18) than .NET framework (~50meg for 4.0 full x86+x64, ~40meg for x86+x64 4.0 Client Profile, ~30meg for x86 CP). But that also includes a bit more functionality than the JRE, meaning less 3rd party packages needed...

typedef wrote:
And I would have loved it if MS made .NET programs link directly to Native API instead of going through .NET shit.
You can't directly use native code from managed apps. If you wanted .NET apps to only call native apps, you'd have a lot of un/marshalling which isn't very good for performance - and we'd be back to the ugly APIs-with-a-zillion-arguments as opposed to saner object-based APIs. But of course to realize the value of this, you have to take advantage of what C#/.NET offers, and not try to write C++, C, or even assembly style code in it.
Post 22 Feb 2011, 17:40
typedef

typedef
Well my friend f0dder,

Some like it easy and sweet but slow,

yet.............

Some like it hard and sour but fast.

But I get what you mean,

In case of big projects I wouldn't use ASM, I'd use C++ or C, but not C# though...Heheheheh..
Post 22 Feb 2011, 17:50
typedef

typedef
static void main(String []buff)
{
System.out.printf("I LOVE JAVA !");
}
Post 22 Feb 2011, 17:53
f0dder

f0dder
Well, it's all about using the right tool for the task... but also using your tools correctly Smile - if you don't program in the "idiomatic" way for a language, you aren't making the most of it, and should probably be using something else.

As for choice, personally I find C# the language to be superior to Java, and the .NET platform in many cases to have advantages over the JRE. In other cases, though, there's some elegant architecture in JRE and not-so-good choices in .NET. And both have bugs here and there you have to work around. At least .NET supports decent generics, where Java only has syntactic sugar around nongeneric code + casts.
Post 22 Feb 2011, 17:57
typedef

typedef
^Yep, but still not convinced to love C# and .NET... Hhehehehe:

Just Kidding....

Yeah, dude, They all have some flaws here and there.

One big thing I hate about JAVA, you need 3rd Party packages to use MySQL, which you don't need in C# (You can use ODBC).

And JAVA has a simple function to load Native DLLs which I think the makers of JAVA where trying to hide it...Very Happy

But yeah,
Post 22 Feb 2011, 18:14
f0dder

f0dder
typedef wrote:
One big thing I hate about JAVA, you need 3rd Party packages to use MySQL, which you don't need in C# (You can use ODBC).
Personally I'd rather use a "proper" database interface instead of ODBC, but if there's an ODBC driver available it usually does do the trick for simple scenarios.

typedef wrote:
And JAVA has a simple function to load Native DLLs which I think the makers of JAVA where trying to hide it...Very Happy
Hm, simple? Can you call native code directly without going through a JNI bridge library? .NET's P/Invoke seems so much easier Smile

Post 22 Feb 2011, 18:35
typedef

typedef
^Well after you have passed it (JNI) It becomes Simple. Very Happy

That's why I said they were trying to hide it.
Post 22 Feb 2011, 19:14
JohnFound

JohnFound
I removed both: JRE and .NET and I am happy.
If I need slow programs - I can use some basic interpreter instead. Razz
Post 22 Feb 2011, 21:29
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
typedef

typedef
JohnFound wrote:
I removed both: JRE and .NET and I am happy.

You are hilarious man...... Very Happy Laughing

Did you do that after you read this or, before ?

That gives me a second thought..Hmmmmm

Maybe I should do it your way ?
Post 22 Feb 2011, 21:42
Coty

Coty
JohnFound wrote:
If I need slow programs - I can use some basic interpreter instead. Razz

Very Happy

Code:
static void main(String []buff) 
{ 
System.out.printf(" I   H A T E    J A V A   !");   
}

Oh wait...

Code:
   use16
   org    0x0100
   cli
   push   0xB800
   pop    es
   xor    di, di
   mov   si, string
   mov   ah, 0x07
.loop:
   lodsb
   cmp   al, 0
   je    .done
   stosw
   jmp    .loop
.done:
   hlt
string: db "I HATE JAVA!",0

Last edited by Coty on 22 Feb 2011, 22:05; edited 1 time in total
Post 22 Feb 2011, 21:59
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
JohnFound

JohnFound
typedef wrote:
Did you do that after you read this or, before ?

Of course before. Several years ago, I decided to limit the use of java and .net because of religious reasons. Not because of you. Very Happy
Unfortunately, in my job I am forced to use stupid .net software, but in home - it is another beer.
I have a black list of applications that will never (or at least for very long) run on my PC: java, .NET, Flash, Adobe reader, and more.
Post 22 Feb 2011, 22:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
typedef

typedef
JohnFound wrote:
stupid .net software

Ahhhh. Almost every post you make you make me happy !

JohnFound wrote:
I decided to limit the use of java and .net because of religious reasons.

Hmmm...Why, they crash a lot and then you end up cussing a lot LOL Very Happy Rolling Eyes
Post 22 Feb 2011, 22:22
edfed

edfed
definitelly asm.

i have a book about cobol (used as example for the writing of mine) and guess... it is not programming at all and i don't understand anything.

i have learned programming on Qbasic and Ti basic, and guess what?
i cannot understand anything to them.

i have recentlly programmed in pic assembler, and guess what?
i understand.

the fact that asm is a simple langage lets a poor brain like mine understand and code without constantlly consulting help file... and this is a very good thing.

i wonder if i will do the diploming formation of computing developper (maybe in May 2011) i i will not hurt that much, because learn JAVA, C, C++, .NET etc... i will become crazy.

asm is the only real langage about computers, because it is the exact image of what is done, for real.
even a very low level HLL cannot be so close to the machine.
Post 24 Feb 2011, 21:22

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: