flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Interesting Photos (Add your's here)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
YONG

YONG
MHajduk wrote:
I had wondered last evening what kind of etymology stands behind the Latin genus name Tragopogon and I understood it thanks to a kind of a sudden enlightenment: those who remember lectures of their mother languages at school most probably had a chance to get to know something about history of the classical Greek and Latin literature and should also recall the etymology of the word "tragedy" which derived from the words "tragos" ("a goat" in English) and "oide" ("a song"). Hence, by similarity, splitting the proper name "tragopogon" into the words "tragos" ("a goat") and "pogon" ("a beard") leads us to the right way of understanding the genus name of the aforementioned plant.
Wow, you are so knowledgeable. You must be a linguist!

Wink
Post 03 Jul 2016, 04:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MHajduk

MHajduk
Two hoverflies sitting on the meadow salsify flower head. In the background we can see leaves of Solidago canadensis (Canadian goldenrod.)

Post 04 Jul 2016, 13:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MHajduk

MHajduk
Cichorium intybus, known by the name Common chicory.

A general view.

A closeup view of the flower head.

Post 04 Jul 2016, 13:37
MHajduk

MHajduk
Anagallis arvensis, known by the common name "scarlet pimpernel".

A general view.

A closeup of the flower.

Post 04 Jul 2016, 18:52
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
What sources do you use to identify plants? With picture recognition being what it is today, a good phone app would be to catalog / geo-locate species by photograph.
Post 04 Jul 2016, 21:58
YONG

YONG
Common chicory is very eye-catching. Its colors are so pleasing.

Very nice photos.

Wink
Post 05 Jul 2016, 03:41
shoorick

shoorick
bitRAKE wrote:
What sources do you use to identify plants? With picture recognition being what it is today, a good phone app would be to catalog / geo-locate species by photograph.

Smile
walk to the forest to gather mushrooms with smartphone Cool

Post 05 Jul 2016, 10:32
MHajduk

MHajduk
bitRAKE wrote:
What sources do you use to identify plants?
The knowledge about the names of numerous plant species is not something you can born with, there a teacher and / or some good herbaria, albums and handbooks are needed. In this particular case my mother is my guide in the domain of plants. She is a certified agronomist engineer. By the way, literally all of the photos presented here have been taken no more than 40 meters from my house, in my garden, so I can observe plants and insects on a daily basis. At first I determine the Polish name of the photographed plant. In the next step I check in the handbooks its Latin botanical name. For the English counterpart I read mostly pages in Wikipedia (sometimes, in difficult or doubtful cases, there is a need to dig deeper in other Internet resources). But I have never used image recognition for that.
bitRAKE wrote:
With picture recognition being what it is today, a good phone app would be to catalog / geo-locate species by photograph.
I'm not especially convinced that this kind of application would work. The flowers are not the sole plant parts that should be taken into consideration. We also look at the leaves, stem, root and the surrounding area to identify the given plant properly, with the highest possible degree of certainty. And even then we are not 100% sure. Besides, image recognition probably wouldn't work properly with plants photographed from various angles. Maybe if we had a plants DNA database and could make tests in situ then the situation would be a lot better.
Post 05 Jul 2016, 15:47
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
MHajduk wrote:
bitRAKE wrote:
With picture recognition being what it is today, a good phone app would be to catalog / geo-locate species by photograph.
I'm not especially convinced that this kind of application would work.
The app could work by giving the photographer a selection of possibilities, and advise further. 100% certainty would not be a requirement - it would just be a tool to aid further research for the novice/student. A rather powerful tool, imho. DNA confirmation could always be added later when the technology is prevalent.

Post 06 Jul 2016, 01:38
MHajduk

MHajduk
Cirsium arvense, known by the common English name "creeping thistle".

A closeup shot of the flower head.

A closeup view presenting a bee, a wasp and a beetle sitting on the flowers.

Post 09 Jul 2016, 16:51
MHajduk

MHajduk
Zephyr sitting on the roof.

Post 09 Jul 2016, 17:07
MHajduk

MHajduk
Yucca filamentosa, known by the English names "Adam's needle" and "common yucca".

A view of an inflorescence.

A closeup view of the flowers at sunset.

Post 09 Jul 2016, 17:07
MHajduk

MHajduk
Rudbeckias in the evening.

Post 09 Jul 2016, 19:41
MHajduk

MHajduk
A closeup shot of the inflorescence of a phlox.

Post 09 Jul 2016, 20:03
YONG

YONG
The closeup shot of creeping thistle is very eye-catching. Nice photos.

Wink
Post 10 Jul 2016, 04:19
Walter

Walter
Quote:
Zephyr sitting on the roof.

Just seems like such a fitting name for some reason. On yeah, nice shot.
Post 10 Jul 2016, 19:42
MHajduk

MHajduk
Tagetes patula, known by the English name "French marigold".

Post 14 Jul 2016, 10:47
YONG

YONG
The petals of French marigold have two different colors for the upper and lower surfaces, which gives the flower a classy feel. Nice photo.

Wink
Post 14 Jul 2016, 11:27
MHajduk

MHajduk
Two hoverflies on the umbel of a common onion (Allium cepa).

Post 14 Jul 2016, 12:03
MHajduk

MHajduk
A closeup shot of a hoverfly sitting on the umbel of a common onion (Allium cepa).

Post 14 Jul 2016, 12:04

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: