flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Greybeard Status

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
redsock

redsock
I was having a discussion with one of my esteemed peers this afternoon, and the subject came up "how many of you really are there?" ... To which I went into a long-winded tangent about how if Javascript existed when I started to learn, or any language existed when I got my first Model 1 TRS-80, that perhaps I would _not_ know what I know now. I fondly recall writing code on my first x86 platform in byte-form straight from Peter Norton's Bible (his was the best IMO).

So my question to the rest of the fasm community is: obviously with exceptions (those who loudly profess superiority re: same w/ pics, ego, et al); I am 40-something, I am not a full-fledged member of the Greybeard society but getting there slowly but surely.

Are the rest of you that are proficient in assembler/machine code _also_ Greybeards?

"We" certainly don't seem to be popping out of university CompSci degrees anymore, so I am curious as to where I fit in the scheme of things.

All your input is most appreciated, egomaniacal or otherwise Smile
Post 30 Sep 2015, 07:00
Trinitek

Trinitek
I am not a greybeard; I'll be one of the rare ones popping out of a university compsci course. Wink
Post 30 Sep 2015, 07:23
Tyler

Tyler
redsock wrote:

"We" certainly don't seem to be popping out of university CompSci degrees anymore, so I am curious as to where I fit in the scheme of things.
I'm 21 and barely know anything, so I'm no greybeard (and I'm not really sure how I would define a greybeard), but I would like to brag about my uni's CS program. We have an OS course that covers all the basics, from how an MMU to scheduling algos to writing a Linux module and we have a "computer organization" course that teaches MIPS assembly and encoding, simplified 5-stage pipeline (along with being able to interpret the diagram), and the basics of integer/FP math/encoding, Having been used to hanging out here and on osdev, I've been pretty satisfied. I haven't learned a whole lot of new stuff that was hard, but I can tell that others that actually do well in most of their classes are a lot closer to my level by the time they graduate. What I get out of it is more about structured learning that is more thorough and more efficiently guided.

Example of some stuff I explained using what I learned in the MIPS class: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23305368/mips-datapath-procedure-for-executing-an-and-instruction/23307720#23307720
Post 30 Sep 2015, 16:39

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: