flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Feedback > Should fasm go OS-less?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ShortCoder

ShortCoder
I haven't seen this done but I think it would be a good idea to have an OS-less assembler. In other words, the assembler boots itself from a floppy disk (or CD-ROM) with a minimal text editor and minimal command prompt.--basically a small OS on disk with only purpose of booting the computer, allowing text editing, and allowing fasm to be used.

It might not seem so useful but, then again, it might. (would allow development from ANY OS including ones not currently supported---all you have to do is boot off the floppy write your code, assemble, then boot your OS and take your executable off the floppy)

Perhaps Ext2 and Ext3 and FAT support can be there as well--which would allow the small OS to write the executable files and source codes to hard disk.

Post 09 Jul 2004, 04:09
comrade

comrade
use menuet?

Post 09 Jul 2004, 04:29
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
crc

crc
You could just use Linux, and have a text editor that can run FASM as the 'init' program. Of course, you'd also need to be able to mount partitions...
Post 09 Jul 2004, 10:35
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
i-don

i-don
Quote:
I haven't seen this done but I think it would be a good idea to have an OS-less assembler. In other words, the assembler boots itself from a floppy disk (or CD-ROM) with a minimal text editor and minimal command prompt.--basically a small OS on disk with only purpose of booting the computer, allowing text editing, and allowing fasm to be used.

It sounds like:

1. Turning FASM into an Assembly Interpreter or VM or something a-like( such as embedded BASIC interpreter in old days 8088 PCs.). Then,
  2. Build it as a kernel. Then,
  3. Could be loaded into memory by any OS boot-loader.

Are those is what you meant by OS-less? May be, embedded into a memory chip, where you could used on mobile device or pocket PC. Its sounds good. But if those devices is Intel based you could say yes. But are those RISC environment having same assembly opcodes like CISC? Or there is any plan for supporting RISC opcodes in FASM? Then, it will make FASM become universal Assembler.

"compile it once, running anywhere?" with FASM it will be the fastest one. Smile

i-don.
Post 09 Jul 2004, 19:51
i-don

i-don
You still can do it in quickest way (in DOS based) by generate a boot disk from a window and include the FASM DOS version in it. Now, you got a portable FASM to carry around.

Still, the window version is fit into a single floppy.
Post 09 Jul 2004, 20:03

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: