flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > HTTP vs HTTPS

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
There is a website that claims HTTPS is faster than HTTP.

http://www.httpvshttps.com/

I couldn't believe their claim. So I tried it on my FF3.6 and found these results:

HTTP: 14.31s
HTTPS: 17.16s

Note that my timing was using a manual stopwatch because the JS timer on the page can't run on my system.

So how can that site be claiming HTTPS is faster?

I looked into it and from what I can gather from other people's experience they are trying to use the SPDY protocol on the HTTPS connection, and the ordinary protocol for HTTP. So they are deliberating trying to deceive users. That site might be faster using SPDY (although I can't test that) but it has nothing to do with HTTPS or SSL or TLS.

HTTPS does not make anything faster. It still uses the same connection at the same speed. And indeed HTTPS has more communication overhead so it can't possibly be faster.

Yet another lying, deceiving website.
Post 15 Apr 2015, 02:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TmX

TmX
HTTP:
99.415 s
1733% slower than HTTPS

I'm on FF 37.0.1 Razz
Post 15 Apr 2015, 04:42
JohnFound

JohnFound
It is not lying. It is cheating. I mean, HTTPS+SPDY can be faster than only HTTP. (AFAIK, SPDY works only over HTTPS).
Post 15 Apr 2015, 05:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
JohnFound wrote:
It is not lying. It is cheating. I mean, HTTPS+SPDY can be faster than only HTTP. (AFAIK, SPDY works only over HTTPS).
Lying. Cheating. Deceptive. All of the above?

SPDY is more efficient usage of existing bandwidth if, and only if, your system is set to download all assets on the page (i.e. images, scripts, stylesheets, etc.). If you have not enabled these extra things then there is no benefit to SPDY.

I am all for making every site 100% HTTPS but there are still certain things that need to be solved before HTTP is dropped. Firstly, CAs should be abolished and replaced with DNSSEC or equivalent. And certificates should be free (as in beer) so as not to disadvantage anyone. Secondly, when, and only when, all those millions of embedded web servers (as are in your router or pacemaker) can support TLS/SSL then we can drop HTTP. So until those things happen there is no point in comparing HTTP to HTTPS because we need both. And trying to misrepresent HTTPS as the faster alternative to HTTP is not the right reason to make the change because a similar protocol as SPDY over HTTP could easily be developed if speed is really the main issue.
Post 15 Apr 2015, 08:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: