flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Tiobe index will be modified about assembly language.

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
JohnFound

JohnFound
I am following the Tiobe index, mainly because of my assembly language popularity research. Reading the article about how the index is defined, I found that the name of the "assembly language" is wrongly specified as only "assembly". So, I wrote an e-mail to the site administration and get the following answer:
johnfound wrote:
Hi.

Reading the article "TIOBE Programming Community Index Definition" on your site,
I noticed that the name of "Assembly language" is wrongly shortened to only "Assembly".

Unfortunately, the term that is most widely used is always the full form "Assembly language".
That is because the word "assembly" is not the name of the language, but some kind of definition.
In addition, the word "assembly" is widely used for .net assemblies.

As an argument you can check the title of the Wikipedia article about the language.

http:/en.wikipedia.org/Assembly_language

It is "Assembly language". For example the articles for other programming languages are named
only with the language names, possibly with "(programming language)" in brackets when disambiguation is possible.

This way, the returned results from the search query +"assembly programming" are highly underrated.

My experiments showed (using www.google.com):

+"assembly programming" = 238000 results
+"assembly language programming" = 384000 results

Notice, that usually additional words in the quoted query significantly decreases the count of the results:

+"pascal programming" = 327000 results.
+"pascal language programming" = 4670 results.
+"pascal programming tutorial" = 3280 results.

IMHO, in order to present more relevant results about assembly language, you should
use the full name of the language.

Best regards.
John Found

And the answer:
Paul wrote:
Hi John,

Good remark. I will add "Assembly language" to the Assembly definition
and rename it to "Assembly language". At the moment I am calculating the
new index, so this will be part of the index for May.

Regards,

Paul

So, IMHO, we can expect significant raise in assembly language rating for May.

It might seems to be not so important, but better rating can attract some neophyte assembly programmers, which is actually important. Smile

Post 07 Apr 2015, 21:54
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
redsock

redsock
@JohnFound the TIOBE index is interesting as always, but I am not entirely sure I agree with its results or the method that they determine it.

Either way, your efforts get an applause for correctively bumping assembly language in there.

They state: The ratings are based on the number of skilled engineers world-wide, courses and third party vendors...

And that C tops the list, Java #2, PHP #7, but a quick search of monster.com and seek.com.au don't seem to lineup with their popularity results. If C were the most popular, I'd think job listings for C positions would outrank PHP and Java, etc. If we use job listings as a popularity index, PHP sits at the top from my quick browse, haha.

Do you think their ranking order is correct?
Post 07 Apr 2015, 22:38
JohnFound

JohnFound
redsock wrote:
Do you think their ranking order is correct?

It is not correct of course (as every other similar system). But while it is not correct locally, as a whole it is correct. I mean, the specific order of the languages can be wrong even with 5..6 places, but the popular languages are more at the head and unpopular languages are more at the tale of the index.

Which is not so bad as a result IMHO.

Post 08 Apr 2015, 03:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
Enko

Enko
Hi everybody, I have a curiosity question.
Abap seems to be rated in the 16th place. I was wondering if there are jobs that would requiere knowladge of abap.

For what I understand with sap, it is not enouhg to know the programing language but you have to have knowladge in something else like contability, logistic etc...

Can some of you share a little thought on that?
Post 08 Apr 2015, 14:47
JohnFound

JohnFound
Well, several months after the above update, the result is clearly visible. 12-th place in the index (from 24-th for the august 2014).
Post 02 Sep 2015, 06:01
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I just checked that website now and it is completely devoid of all content without JS.

So it is supposedly "the coding standards" company that fails to follow the JS standard of progressive enhancement for webpages.
Post 02 Sep 2015, 07:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nop

nop
TIOBE Index for August 2015
August Headline: Java stronger in the lead

Java is now almost 4.5% ahead of the rest of the pack. We have to go back to 2008 to see such a big difference between Java and the number 2 of the TIOBE index. Java version 8 is clearly a success. This is mainly thanks to the functional programming idiom that has been added to this latest version. Java went in decline when Oracle bought Sun Microsystems (and thus Java) in 2010. Several Java gurus left the company, being afraid that this was the end of Java. Indeed, Java was verbose and way behind languages such as C# in terms of expressive features. But the doomsayers appeared to be wrong. The first few years nothing much happened to the language, but the release of Java 8 in 2014 is a big leap forward. It is now possible to write Java programs in a functional and concise way. Surprisingly or may be not, Java is consuming a large part of the market share that Objective-C is losing, while Objective-C's successor Swift was supposed to do this.

The TIOBE Programming Community index is an indicator of the popularity of programming languages. The index is updated once a month. The ratings are based on the number of skilled engineers world-wide, courses and third party vendors. Popular search engines such as Google, Bing, Yahoo!, Wikipedia, Amazon, YouTube and Baidu are used to calculate the ratings. It is important to note that the TIOBE index is not about the best programming language or the language in which most lines of code have been written.

The index can be used to check whether your programming skills are still up to date or to make a strategic decision about what programming language should be adopted when starting to build a new software system. The definition of the TIOBE index can be found here.
Code:
Aug 2015        Aug 2014 Change         Programming Language    Ratings         Change
1              2          change          Java              19.274%     +4.29%
2              1          change              C             14.732%     -1.67%
3              4          change           C++              7.735%              +3.04%
4              6          change            C#              4.837%              +1.43%
5              7          change         Python             4.066%              +0.95%
6              3          change          Objective-C          3.195%           -6.36%
7              8          change           PHP              2.729%              -0.14%
8            12   change        Visual Basic .NET             2.708%    +1.40%
9            10  change JavaScript                  2.162%               -0.01%
10             9         change Perl                       2.118%       -0.10%
11           11                 Visual Basic           1.781%           -0.23%
12           24  change Assembly language 1.760%                +1.11%
13           13                  Ruby               1.416%              +0.17%
14           18   change        Delphi/Object Pascal 1.407%     +0.49%
15           21    change       MATLAB              1.232%              +0.50%
16           14   change              F#                      1.232%       +0.14%
17           23       change    Swift                 1.179%    +0.51%
18           15       change    Pascal        1.138%    +0.09%
19           20       change    PL/SQL        1.137%    +0.35%
20           30   change        R                             1.010%    +0.49%

Post 02 Sep 2015, 11:48
AsmGuru62

AsmGuru62
Interesting... Objective-C fell like house of cards.
Post 02 Sep 2015, 15:28
shoorick

shoorick
bus has most users! bus stronger in the lead! jaguars and cadillac suck! Razz
Post 02 Sep 2015, 19:38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JohnFound

JohnFound
For september, the index of assembly language is 11. Just one step before top ten!
Post 06 Sep 2015, 16:40
codestar

codestar
I'm the only one here who can provide a clear, consistent definition of "assembler"; any language that translates to machine code, binary instructions. No other definition matters. I know more assemblers. I've got more CPU notches on my belt. C is good, but Abakis is better.

As any "smart programmer" could guess, C and Java are #1. If JavaScript could generate real code (Intel & ARM) and had generic "pointer p=0" access, it would be #1. Never take literally any statistics you read online. Abakis is really #1.
Post 06 Sep 2015, 20:28
codestar

codestar
I'm claiming that my Miracle CPU is the #1 greatest of all time, most efficient ever designed in the history of mankind. Prove me wrong.

Miracle CPU, #1 best ever

In 1,000s of years from now, programmers will be scratching their heads trying to think of a way to improve Abakis and Miracle. Abakis needs a little help, safety and expressions. Writing Abakis in C, safe, standalone and portable.
Post 06 Sep 2015, 20:34

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: