flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > ms-dos for lumia

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Enko

Enko
http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-launches-ms-dos-mobile

Today, Microsoft has launched MS-DOS Mobile, a new OS designed especially for Lumia smartphones. In case you didn't know, MS-DOS was installed on millions of desktops. Well, now you can install it on your phone. "Black and white text has never looked so good," says Tom Messett from Microsoft Lumia Marketing in the launch video. Watch the video to see glimpses of the new/old OS before deciding if you should install it on your phone

Creative April's Fool joke?

They even made an ascii camera xD
Post 01 Apr 2015, 14:56
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
MS-DOS doesn't natively support audio or graphics, so voice calls and MMS would be out. But it would be perfect for SMS text messages.

Is there a version of Lynx for DOS? If there is then you could browse also.
Post 01 Apr 2015, 15:13
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JohnFound

JohnFound
MS-DOS actually supports both audio and graphics, or at least does not forbid the applications from accessing this hardware. The biggest problem with MS Dos Mobile is in fact only the keyboard. So, the phones with MS DOS Mobile will not work only with touch screen. At least there should be some resident program (TSR) emulating keyboard using the touch screen.

For example the command "call.exe NAME|NUMBER" will search a number from the phone book and call it and "selfy.exe" make a selfy and so on.
Post 01 Apr 2015, 16:24
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous
Quote:

04/01 - 00:00 <-> 23:59: That is one of the days of the year I hate most. It is so stupid, people and even respected organizations waste their time to spread false information.

After this day I ask to myself if they could ever regain my respect... All I have for them now is deception.

-1 to all of them.
Post 01 Apr 2015, 16:40
JohnFound

JohnFound
HaHa, accept it with more humor, it is funny after all. We can't be serious all the time. Especially, programming in assembly language these days. Wink Thousands of programmers think WEB programming in assembly is a good joke. Laughing
Post 01 Apr 2015, 17:16
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
HaHaAnonymous wrote:
Quote:

04/01 - 00:00 <-> 23:59: That is one of the days of the year I hate most. It is so stupid, people and even respected organizations waste their time to spread false information.

After this day I ask to myself if they could ever regain my respect... All I have for them now is deception.

-1 to all of them.
Depending upon your timezone it will either all be over now, or will soon be over. So now you can get back to the normal useless crap that these companies post instead of the fake useless crap that they posted on 1 April.
Post 02 Apr 2015, 02:59
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
JohnFound wrote:
For example the command "call.exe NAME|NUMBER" will search a number from the phone book and call it and "selfy.exe" make a selfy and so on.
Perhaps you mean "call.com" and "selfie.com"? Razz

Ugh, I haven't seen a .com program in many years. That brings back some repressed memories of horror.
Post 02 Apr 2015, 03:02
JohnFound

JohnFound
revolution wrote:
JohnFound wrote:
Perhaps you mean "call.com" and "selfie.com"? Razz

Ugh, I haven't seen a .com program in many years. That brings back some repressed memories of horror.

No, I meant MZ .exe. But .com programs are very easy to make, so, if created in assembly maybe "call.com" is actually better. I don't know why you have these horror memories. In fact, .com programs are great with the only limit of 64KB for the code, which can be a problem for bigger projects.

Post 02 Apr 2015, 04:23
revolution

revolution
No internal format. Mixed data and code everywhere. The segment register nightmare. No checksums or integrity checks. 64kB size limit. Yuck.

BTW: "command.com" was actually in MZ format in later versions.
Post 02 Apr 2015, 04:35
JohnFound

JohnFound
The segment register "nightmare" is because of real mode of the CPU, not because of the executable format. BTW, for .com files, DOS at least set the segment registers to the right values, so it is much better than the .exe where you have to set them by yourself.

The mixed data and code is up to the programmer. BTW, the behavior of PE .exe files with its flat memory is much like .com not like MZ .exe files.

For me the only big problem of .com files is the 64KB code and initialized data limit (you can allocate more memory from the heap, so there is no limit for the uninitialized data).
Post 02 Apr 2015, 06:01
AsmGuru62

AsmGuru62
First Turbo Pascal (IDE included) was shoehorned into 64Kb.
Smile
Post 02 Apr 2015, 16:32
JohnFound

JohnFound
Not only the first. Version 3 was the last one in .com package. Version 4 was .exe.

BTW, there was really great assembler, named "Turbo Assembler", very similar to TP3 - with the same design and integrated into an IDE. But it was not Borland product, but of a company named "SpeedWare Inc". There are some data that later it was sold to Borland, but Borland Turbo Assembler was never integrated with IDE anymore.

You can download it as a abandon-ware from: http://sources.ru/pascal/museum/tasm102.htm
Post 02 Apr 2015, 16:37
DOS386

DOS386
> Today, Microsoft has launched MS-DOS Mobile, a new OS designed
> especially for Lumia smartphones. In case you didn't know, MS-DOS
> was installed on millions of desktops. Well, now you can install it on
> your phone

COOL. They even didn't fix the horrible "3/31/2015" dates.

> Before you start complaining how ridiculous this sounds, go check
> today's date. It's April Fools Day! Isn't this kind of funny?

NO. Without this hint, I would never had noticed that all this could be an April fool, and I would now use M$-DOG mobile all the time.

Install our dumb M$-DOG mobile on your dumbphone Wink
Post 02 Apr 2015, 18:11
FordenFreeman

FordenFreeman
I would actually totally be down for a DOS based smart phone.

The lack of support for audio and video isn't that much of a problem. You would just have to create that support for the given device.

The bigger issue here is that I wouldn't want one of the Windows 8 phones.
Post 04 Apr 2015, 03:31
revolution

revolution
JohnFound wrote:
The segment register "nightmare" is because of real mode of the CPU, not because of the executable format.
Kind of. But .com files didn't make things easier either.
JohnFound wrote:
BTW, for .com files, DOS at least set the segment registers to the right values, so it is much better than the .exe where you have to set them by yourself.
I'm not sure that having all the segments initialised to the same value can be consider the "right" values. With no internal format there is no way for DOS to be able to determine the proper values for each segment register so instead they all just got the same value. At least the .exe spec made it clear that the programmer is responsible for such things.
JohnFound wrote:
The mixed data and code is up to the programmer. BTW, the behavior of PE .exe files with its flat memory is much like .com not like MZ .exe files.
PE format can specify sections with different attributes. This, at least, encourages the programmer to "do the right thing".
JohnFound wrote:
For me the only big problem of .com files is the 64KB code and initialized data limit (you can allocate more memory from the heap, so there is no limit for the uninitialized data).
IIRC .com programs were given the entire memory at start up and they had to explicitly unallocate and return unwanted memory to DOS if they ever wanted to play nicely with other programs that might be running.
Post 06 Apr 2015, 08:41

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: