flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > In what ways in all possibilities can you contain light?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
typedef

typedef
I'm mainly curious about whether it's possible to create a reflection-loop thereby "containing" the light inside a special containment device.

I know it wouldn't last long because of photons turning into heat, but can it be done in the first place?
Post 29 Mar 2015, 20:49
CampTheBoss

CampTheBoss
It sounds impossible to me.
Post 29 Mar 2015, 20:55
JohnFound

JohnFound
Yes of course. put two mirrors one facing another and you will get the light confinement for every beam perpendicular to the mirrors. If you have 100% reflection, the light will circulate forever. For real mirrors, only 10..20 times. Even if you have reflection of 99%, after the 200-th reflection you will have only 0.99^200 = 0.13 of the initial light power. But 99% is almost impossible. With usual mirrors you will get something like 80..90%
Post 29 Mar 2015, 20:56
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
CampTheBoss

CampTheBoss
JohnFound wrote:
Yes of course. put two mirrors one facing another and you will get the light confinement for every beam perpendicular to the mirrors. If you have 100% reflection, the light will circulate forever. For real mirrors, only 10..20 times. Even if you have reflection of 99%, after the 200-th reflection you will have only 0.99^200 = 0.13 of the initial light power. But 99% is almost impossible. With usual mirrors you will get something like 80..90%

Never thought of that! (I do the mirror thing all the time when i'm bored Razz)
Post 29 Mar 2015, 20:58
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous
A similar thing happens when you have a camera and a TV behind you then you can see yourself on the TV, over and over. Unless I am mistaken.

It is a thing I always observed with more attention. D:

Not sure.
Post 29 Mar 2015, 21:13
CampTheBoss

CampTheBoss
HahaAnonymous i remember seeing that on an old CRT TV
Post 29 Mar 2015, 21:15
typedef

typedef
HaHaAnonymous wrote:
A similar thing happens when you have a camera and a TV behind you then you can see yourself on the TV, over and over. Unless I am mistaken.

It is a thing I always observed with more attention. D:

Not sure.

Hmm. But the light source in your scenario is constant. What I meant was something like containing a single beam of light by bouncing it around reflective walls. I guess the human eye wouldn't see the whole thing happening because it would happen so fast.

But I think John explained it well.
Post 29 Mar 2015, 21:24
l_inc

l_inc
typedef
Quote:
But I think John explained it well

Well, he forgot to mention the total internal reflection, which would allow you to capture the light forever, but you'd need more than two reflective surfaces. Also see here for more precise numbers of "almost impossible".

Post 29 Mar 2015, 22:19
JohnFound

JohnFound
Well, I was wrong claiming "almost impossible". It is possible, with special optical devices.
I have wrote about usual domestic mirrors.
Post 29 Mar 2015, 22:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
typedef wrote:
What I meant was something like containing a single beam of light by bouncing it around reflective walls. I guess the human eye wouldn't see the whole thing happening because it would happen so fast.
It has nothing to do with the speed. A human (or any light detector) wouldn't see it because the light would not escape to activate detectors.
Post 30 Mar 2015, 03:15
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Matrix

Matrix
l_inc wrote:
typedef
Quote:
But I think John explained it well

Well, he forgot to mention the total internal reflection, which would allow you to capture the light forever, but you'd need more than two reflective surfaces. Also see here for more precise numbers of "almost impossible".

Good idea, if we have a perfect mirror, another solution is a blackhole, light falls back into it.
Post 30 Mar 2015, 04:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
then how about contained sound wave? not recording,
is that possible?

we could replay wave, could it be exact? let say it could be exact, then contained if view from another perspective is replay exactly the input.

but if wave cease to be wave, then it is self destruct through traveling by filling up spaces.
we got light as photons and light as wave,

what is light?
Post 30 Mar 2015, 13:46
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous
Quote:

what is light?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light
Post 30 Mar 2015, 16:08
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light wrote:

Instead, modern physics sees light as something that can be described sometimes with mathematics appropriate to one type of macroscopic metaphor (particles), and sometimes another macroscopic metaphor (water waves), but is actually something that cannot be fully imagined

something that cannot be fully imagined, cool!!

Quote:
“All these fifty years of conscious brooding have brought me no nearer to the answer to the question, ‘what are light quanta?’ Nowadays, every Tom, Dick, and Harry thinks he knows it, but he is mistaken.”

Albert Einstein, letter to Michael Besso 1954.

i am thinking,
if there exists mirror, to repel any lights, then there would be anti mirror too, black hole like mirror that collapse all lights in 100% i guess anything that could process light would be anti-mirror.

so, turning a place, location, under sun light into total dark night is possible. as long as the device could eat/process input faster than incoming light.
Post 30 Mar 2015, 17:41
JohnFound

JohnFound
@sleepsleep - There is an object that absorbs all falling light. It is called "black body" (not black hole). Take a big box, paint it inside in black or other dark color. Then make a small hole at the one of the sides. This hole will look darker that everything - it is model of black body. Every light entering the hole will reflect multiply times from the inner surface of the box walls and will be fully absorbed. None of it will exit back from the hole.
Post 30 Mar 2015, 18:42
CampTheBoss

CampTheBoss
cool
Post 30 Mar 2015, 19:12
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
@johnfound - thanks for explanation,
imo, something that works like torch light (not shadow that blocking light) but proactively adsorbing light should be very possible.
Post 31 Mar 2015, 00:40
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
i got this while dreaming,
the light is wave at first, but after it becomes smooth/stable, photons would appear and turn light into particles.
Post 02 Apr 2015, 16:29

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: