flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Windows 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Hmm, yesterday I went back to check the Purism thing again and the site was down. And it is still down today. So, somehow I get a bad feeling about that company. Some of the most basic things are not being attended to. So my expectation for quality customer service and helpful assistance is currently very low. For such an expensive price I would expect more attention to details, instead it might just be a money grab and leave everyone to fend for themselves later.
Post 05 Mar 2016, 11:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs

Furs
Linux drivers are mostly in the kernel so it depends what kernel version Ubuntu ships with. It seems it will ship with kernel 4.4. Nvidia have quite excellent GPU drivers for Linux too. I recommend using a distro based on Ubuntu instead, though, like Linux Mint, if you want to try a linux distro.

If certain hardware does not work then it's probably kernel that needs to be updated; it's not even complicated and you can easily revert to old kernel at boot (it does not get removed), but it's quite risky as you don't know what regressions might happen... just be sure to know how to revert if you do that.

And of course there's hardware where not even latest kernel works. In such case you're out of luck. Smile
Post 05 Mar 2016, 11:35
revolution

revolution
Furs wrote:
And of course there's hardware where not even latest kernel works. In such case you're out of luck. Smile
Yeah. And this is why I like the idea of purchasing a system with the intended final OS already installed, tested and certified for that particular hardware configuration. Of course this needs a reputable company behind it to provide future updates as the need arises. Without that backing the user is left to figure everything out for themselves. If one has a lot of spare time and a lot of desire and patience to work at that level then a tinkerers OS would probably be just fine, but for most of the rest of the people that is not a place they want to go.
Post 05 Mar 2016, 13:56
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ProphetOfDoom

ProphetOfDoom
Hi revolution,

I'm surprised when I see your sceptical posts about Linux/Ubuntu when you have ported fasm to arm! (a task that would fill me with dread - I wouldn't know where to start!). Most problems that come up with Ubuntu are so trivial in comparison. Usually you just type the error message or problem into Google and the first result is a post from someone who's solved it. Of course you have to be a bit careful to buy compatible hardware. I've had very useable Ubuntu installations on two Lenovo laptops - a Thinkpad x121e and a Lenovo Yoga 2. (I wouldn't recommend the latter computer due to its poor battery life but that's not Ubuntu's fault - it's the same with Windows). I've been using Linux as my main OS for about 10 years. I suppose I do do a bit of tinkering - but it's certainly not my main occupation.
I absolutely hate Windows. You boot it up on a computer from 2012 and you have to wait up to two minutes to get it to acknowledge your first mouse click! It's intolerable. And the way Windows 8.1 switches between sane desktop mode and crazy app mode without warning, perhaps due to an innocent mouse gesture! Windows' file explorer thing is almost unusable it's so cluttered and unintuitive. And now it's just announced it's storing all my files on the cloud without even consulting me!
I used to be a free software purist but recently I've capitulated and bought a MacBook Air. I was fully intending to install Ubuntu on it but OS X gradually won me over. The OS feels very Linuxy but even faster and more stable. Not as pretty as Ubuntu though. AFAIC Windows is a "legacy OS" now.
Just some thoughts Smile
Post 06 Mar 2016, 15:35
revolution

revolution
ProphetOfDoom, it is not about the technical aspects of maintaining an OS. I would hate to have to be tinkering around trying to get connection to a customers office network while my customers are all watching and waiting for me get it working. Or if they give me an SD card or thumb drive or something and I find the driver is unable to recognise it, or incorrectly recognises the size, or whatever, I won't have the luxury of infinite time (and often I also do not have any Internet access for a "google solution" either) to be figuring out the correct settings for it. Also we still use many applications that are only available in Windows and that creates another whole set of problems with emulators and/or VMs to deal with, and the associated incompatibility difficulties with those.

I'm sure all of those things are solvable, but the time and resources needed to get it all working might not be available when I just want to move on with getting actual work done instead of fighting the OS to figure something out.

Anyhow, I have already decided that Windows 10 is not ever going to be in my future so I will continue forward and try to find the alternative that works best for me. Right now, considering my previous experience with running Linux, I think that hardware specifically selected to be compatible with stable Linux drivers is a good option. As a complete noob to Linux I want to give myself the best option to get a stable working system with the least amount of time wasted. And I am very happy to pay more for that, instead of just buying the cheapest system and then struggle for hours wondering how to get things working.
Post 07 Mar 2016, 01:36
TmX

TmX
Give Red Hat or SUSE Linux Enterprise, then Smile
Post 07 Mar 2016, 01:44
ProphetOfDoom

ProphetOfDoom
These people sell Linux-compatible computers. They're very small too. I haven't bought one but I drool over them occasionally lol.

http://www.tinygreenpc.com
Post 07 Mar 2016, 11:52
Furs

Furs
WINE is surprisingly good these days, you can give it a try if you want and see if it works with your Windows apps. I use wine extensively on Linux, so I don't really am those purist OSS / Linux die hards who want everything natively... in fact I think the wine team are doing a great effort to make windows apps more accessible regardless of OS, which I respect.

Never had issues with USB flash drives or storage media in particular, I assume they all follow standards... I don't think that's truly a problem for Linux, and btw the NTFS FUSE filesystem works perfectly fine. It even supports TRIM on NTFS if you are willing to compile latest version. (which is easy because it has no dependencies other than libfuse which it comes with the source... so literally just configure it if you want something special or just "./configure", "make" and "make install"). Heck, you can even boot Linux from it (though it requires some setup).

One great thing for Linux is FUSE which is filesystem in user space, no need to install any drivers or even restart your OS or mess up with kernel to support NTFS. And if it crashes, it won't bring your entire system down.

Anyway, you can of course dualboot anytime you want so I suggest just trying out Linux and see where it works -- and where it doesn't.

Even if it doesn't work for something you need, it will be there and it doesn't hurt to learn how the OS works, if you come from Windows like me. Because it is quite different (IMO superior) because it is Unix.

The only negative I have is the way it stores the general installed files all over the place, based on type, instead of placing them all under one directory for each app. Though, some apps are fine and install under /opt/appname which is good. (obviously this problem is also on Windows with apps that need installers, but not portable apps).

wine-staging (which is an official branch of wine that has more uptodate patches) installs in /opt/wine-staging and is fully portable otherwise. You can place it anywhere and run it from there, even your user directory if you don't want root access. And of course all windows apps install under a wine prefix, so you can isolate one from each other or carry the entire prefix where you want. "Portablizing" any windows app that works on Wine. Smile
Post 08 Mar 2016, 15:27
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
http://betanews.com/2016/03/02/do-not-resist-windows-10/

Quote:

Resistance is futile -- Windows 10 will take over the PC market (eventually)

And that is what Microsoft wants, to have its new operating system "infecting" as many PCs and tablets as possible, so that it can finally take control of this market.

Microsoft will not take "no" for an answer, because right now it is in a position where it has nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

http://betanews.com/2016/03/09/windows-10-advertising-in-ie-security-patch/
Quote:

But the company's latest sneaky trick is beyond the pale. According to Microsoft’s own documentation, a new security patch for Internet Explorer also "adds functionality to Internet Explorer 11 on some computers that lets users learn about Windows 10 or start an upgrade to Windows 10". In other words, as well as fixing vulnerabilities with Internet Explorer, the security patch will also advertise the new OS to customers. In what world is that acceptable?

windows 10 is evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Post 09 Mar 2016, 20:32
ProphetOfDoom

ProphetOfDoom
I've been offered a free upgrade from 8.1 to 10. I chose not to upgrade because I thought it might affect my dual boot Ubuntu setup. However, after a series of bizarre suggestions and errors from Windows (including it telling me that my laptop had no hard drive!) it "fixed itself" and in the process removed grub from sda. I had to go into "Advanced startup options" and tell it to boot from the Ubuntu partition so I could reinstall grub. Around the same time, the Unity plugin on Ubuntu went missing leaving me with a blank desktop and I had to fix that from the terminal. Coincidence? Maybe...
Post 09 Mar 2016, 23:43
revolution

revolution
revolution wrote:
Anyhow, I have already decided that Windows 10 is not ever going to be in my future ...
I am sad to report that unless I quit my job (and sleep in the gutter from now on) I won't be able to achieve this goal. Sad

So a new plan is needed. Since I can't avoid the W10 spying adware I will grudgingly install it on one machine, but disable all networking capabilities. This means it can't ever send its spy data out and it can't ever download unwanted ads. It also means it will be useless for normal daily usage, so it will be just for compatibility testing of things installed via USB drives. And further it means I have to travel with two laptops Crying or Very sad

It has come to this:

Description:
Filesize: 28.39 KB
Viewed: 5650 Time(s)

windows-10.jpg

Post 13 Mar 2016, 13:51
AsmGuru62

AsmGuru62
Is it photo-shopped screen, or you really got it?
Post 13 Mar 2016, 15:59
revolution

revolution
It is not my photo, but it kind of feels right for the situation.
Post 13 Mar 2016, 16:12
AsmGuru62

AsmGuru62
Indeed, I have to cancel the nag screens from Win 10 - every day, few times.
Post 13 Mar 2016, 19:44
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
revolution wrote:
I am sad to report that unless I quit my job (and sleep in the gutter from now on) I won't be able to achieve this goal.

get a nice laptop with linux as host,
run virtualbox, put windows 10 inside, you could still transfer files using virtualbox network shares without networking adapter switch on.

telemetry will turn on again even if it was disabled Laughing

maybe new operating system will surface soon to take this chance and kill windows.
Post 13 Mar 2016, 20:20
JohnFound

JohnFound
revolution wrote:
I am sad to report that unless I quit my job (and sleep in the gutter from now on) I won't be able to achieve this goal. Sad

Hm, compared to Windows 10, some gutters looks pretty comfortable.

Post 13 Mar 2016, 21:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
l_inc

l_inc
revolution wrote:
It is not my photo, but it kind of feels right for the situation

It has a modified quotation from a conversation with the Sovereign from Mass Effect 1.

Post 13 Mar 2016, 22:15
Trinitek

Trinitek
AsmGuru62 wrote:
Indeed, I have to cancel the nag screens from Win 10 - every day, few times.
There's a way to prevent the Win10 updater from starting in the scheduled task manager. I did it a few months ago, and so far, no surprise upgrades and no popups on my Win7 machine.
Post 14 Mar 2016, 03:02
typedef

typedef
revolution wrote:
Since I can't avoid the W10 spying adware...

Have you looked around?

Disable the telemetry services and add firewall rules to block outgoing connections to the tracking servers. There's a powershell script on the net that does that for you.

You'll also have to disable all the "share" and data collection options so in case windows does update their servers' addresses the settings might prevent the collection. But who's to say they can't spy on you.

While on the same topic, I deleted all the stupid apps that come pre-installed and some of them silently made their way back. Evil or Very Mad
Post 14 Mar 2016, 06:26
revolution

revolution
typedef: It already clear the direction the MS have decided to go with this. Once they start doing stuff they will keep doing it and make it even more pervasive as time passes. Once the trust was lost then I have no desire to get into a never-ending technical fight just to stay where I already was.

It is the intention that is the problem. The intention is shown to be spy on, and advertise to, the masses. Two things I cannot agree with for something that integrates so closely with my everyday activities. So regardless of the technical options available to me (and the time needed to research and deploy them) the intention will still remain in opposition to my wants.
Post 14 Mar 2016, 06:41

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: