flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Windows 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Furs

Furs
Why not use a VM to test Linux stuff?
Post 15 Dec 2016, 13:31
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
QubeOS,
https://www.qubes-os.org/

now we know, revolution is working on a super duper secret project!
Post 15 Dec 2016, 15:58
Furs

Furs
Looks like another Linux-based OS (kernel)? They say nothing about it, but I see it runs KDE/xfce/etc. I don't get the point of it though.

What's the difference between Qubes OS and using multiple users on a Linux OS? Theoretically, untrusted users shouldn't be able to view/change any files they aren't given access to.

Yeah, exploits exist, but so do exploits for Qubes OS then...
Post 15 Dec 2016, 16:41
ford

ford
Qubes OS appears to just be a Linux kernel + Xen implementation. Berstein's endorsement is cool, but you would still need a reasonably secure Linux distribution to run in one of its many VMs/containers.
Post 22 Dec 2016, 04:48
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
ford wrote:

but you would still need a reasonably secure Linux distribution to run in one of its many VMs/containers.

maybe windows xp, 7, 8, 8.1 or 10

according to here, http://www.tecmint.com/best-security-centric-linux-distributions-of-2016/
1. TAILS: The Amnesiac Incognito Live System
2. JonDo Live-DVD
3. Whonix
4. Qubes OS
5. UPR (Ubuntu Privacy Remix)

i wish santa sending revolution a penguin this year Very Happy
Post 23 Dec 2016, 10:12
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
i wish santa sending revolution a penguin this year Very Happy
If Santa feels so inclined the he is welcome to send it to my location. But it isn't the existence of the thing that is the hard part, it is the time investment. I don't I have that part available at the moment.
Post 23 Dec 2016, 12:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
Yay for Windows 10 enforced updates.

http://kerkwell.nl/node/1077

The article is not in English, but basically a church minister can't use his computer when he needs to because MS decided is was their computer and would make it do things that MS wanted, when MS wanted, with no way to prevent it.

When it comes to the point that a remote company can decide to fart in your face, and you can't do anything about it, and others just simply accept it, then you know that the IT world is screwed, and the corporations have taken over. Sad
Post 28 Dec 2016, 02:51
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
i got a request from customer yesterday to "change" her windows 10 modern laptop to windows 7,

she claimed to have lots of issues with printing using her very modern hp laptop,

all the usb in her laptop are usb 3.0, so the normal way of installation will fail because there is no usb 3.0 driver support in default windows 7 sp1 iso, error with no hard disk found,

revolution's website mentioned how to add usb 3.0 intel driver using dism into install.wim and boot.wim

definitely took me sometime to update my usual windows 7 usb pendrive

installation works, windows 7 rolling in, install all its devices drivers using driverpack

update all the security patches, wu.krelay.de/en definitely help! otherwise you will waste more hours

hp printer installation meet with some problems, because the hp installer doesn't detect usb port, (cause they are all latest usb 3.0)

revolution's website mentioned to rename extracted hp checkusb.exe to checkusb.exe.old,

putting windows 7 into modern laptop, seems to be very troublesome, i am having some issue with broadcom wireless device, bcm43142 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi M.2 adapter,

the wireless will sort of missing its dns after some time, or heavy usage, solution is disabled the wifi and enable it back,

also from revolution's website,
Code:
@echo off
netsh interface set interface "%1" DISABLED
netsh interface set interface "%1" ENABLED

i think lots of people having issues with windows 10, the lately wireless disconnection after update etc, and you need internet to patch that cannot connect to internet issue,

i hope they roll out a version of windows 10, bare metal, with gui support, and nothing else fancy, like server core but with official gui support, no need to redesign new layout or etc, just follow windows xp and windows 7, or better, a windows 10 version with win xp/7 gui layout, keep everything to minimum, don't just push everything to default, let users choose what they want,

then i will use that server core windows 10 with official gui, (i don't want telemetry support, thank you)
Post 12 Jan 2017, 10:12
revolution

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
i hope they roll out a version of windows 10, bare metal, with gui support, and nothing else fancy, like server core but with official gui support, no need to redesign new layout or etc, just follow windows xp and windows 7, or better, a windows 10 version with win xp/7 gui layout, keep everything to minimum, don't just push everything to default, let users choose what they want,
You must be new to this planet. Clearly you missed the trend that MS is following, and it ain't going in the direction that you are hoping for. Sad
Post 12 Jan 2017, 14:09
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
revolution wrote:

You must be new to this planet.

absolutely correct, only a few years!

revolution wrote:

Clearly you missed the trend that MS is following

i think the chances is still 50/50 for something i visioned above, so far they already created a free hyper-v server core version for everybody

- the give free windows 10 to everybody, be it legitimate win 7 users or pirated win 7 etc, during initial release, beta

- latest win 10 au 1607 iso could activate your windows 10 using 7, 8, 8.1 product key

my humble suggestions to microsoft

- give free windows and allow users to customize more during setup process, eg. like posready 2009 or etc embedded go through process

- default options should be less, let users add more by themselves,

- inform users and let them choose whether to allow telemetry / etc privacy settings, default answer to protect users,

- change the license fee of windows os to cloud storage, every license of genuine windows entitled to lifetime 100GB storage (eg. update could be put into their storage, promo, ads, movies, etc, not counted to their 100GB) let users download when they feel they want to

- limit per month upload to 100GB and download 100GB to prevent abuse,

- those without purchased windows 10 license will have 5 GB only, (aka linux / bsd / mac users) Laughing

- OEM eg. acer, hp, dell, lenovo, etc paid for the lifetime 100GB license, they may negotiate with microsoft, eg. pay less, give each license devices only 40GB or etc.

- microsoft could offer them (OEM partners) 1GB or more of spaces to put their oem ads, promo, video, drivers, etc

- don't default search engines, or etc choices, you can't force people to love you, even if you could and capable to force them, they will hate you from the bottom of their heart

- scrap that dot net framework, they are just bigger dll, still couldn't solve the initial problem, dot net 2, 3, 3.5, 4. 4.5, 4.56, what, then you just created bigger group of library

- put those dll in users machine cloud drive, they could have any version their application want, change the cloud storage to earth biggest dll manager (and you accidentally solve how viruses are spread)

- and microsoft certified executable are those that ONLY depend/use dll that scanned by online ms antivirus AI in machine cloud drive

- device drivers, printers, etc, oem partners should deliver them to machine cloud drive, user don't have to go oem website and find driver or using windows update to find drivers or etc, just put those damn drivers for this particular os in my cloud drive.

- establish cloud application that could execute from cloud drive, might become standard how applications are delivered in future,

- i think i disclosed too much about future, Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed that is how microsoft works in my timeline, Laughing Laughing Laughing

- no doubt, if without ww3, the whole earth will get really fast internet, probably 100 mbps in another 50 years,
Post 12 Jan 2017, 20:46
ford

ford
Personally, I think that Microsoft needs to just open source Windows XP, license DirectX as a purchasable cross-platform library, make Office a cross-platform application, and then keep on working on hardware.

Fuck the cloud shit.

> ...the whole earth will get really fast internet, probably 100 mbps in another 50 years, [sic]

It will be way higher than 100mbps and way sooner than 50 years. All of the tech megacorps are working to get ppl online all over the Earth, and governments want this to happen as well. You cannot surveil people and influence them through propaganda if they are not connected. Likewise, it's far easier to get people to build dossiers on themselves voluntarily through social media than it is to build this in secret without their consent. The whole of humanity will be connected. The whole of humanity will be surveilled. The whole of humanity will be propagandized. I think that this will happen within a decade.
Post 13 Jan 2017, 01:05
YONG

YONG
sleepsleep wrote:
my humble suggestions to microsoft ...
They are called M$ for a reason.

Forget about Windows. Buy an entry-level Chromebook and then install Linux. And you will have everything you need.

Wink
Post 13 Jan 2017, 02:53
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
sleepsleep wrote:

i hope they roll out a version of windows 10, bare metal, with gui support, and nothing else fancy, like server core but with official gui support, no need to redesign new layout or etc,

i just notice a new kind of server core in windows 2016 server,

nano server
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/get-started/getting-started-with-nano-server

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2016/02/10/exploring-nano-server-for-windows-server-2016/ wrote:
Nano Server is the new headless deployment option for Windows Server 2016. As a deeply refactored version of Windows Server, it’s designed to give you the lightest and fastest server OS configuration with fewer patch and update events, faster restarts, better resource utilization and tighter security.

there are motivation in this lite, clean, small size cloud direction, hopefully they would expand it to consumer level,

dos like interface,
Post 13 Jan 2017, 07:58
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
ford wrote:
Personally, I think that Microsoft needs to just open source Windows XP, license DirectX as a purchasable cross-platform library, make Office a cross-platform application, and then keep on working on hardware.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0
windows xp still command 9.07% market share

i like your license directx cross-platform library, very good idea,

office is almost cross platform nowadays with google docs, (which i use frequently), there are bing office or live office by microsoft, so far i have no experience with them

> Fuck the cloud shit.
no choice, this cloud thing will become normal trend in coming years, and almost every people use cloud now,

> The whole of humanity will be connected. The whole of humanity will be surveilled. The whole of humanity will be propagandized. I think that this will happen within a decade.
i see positive values coming out from such idea, at least anyone nowadays could market their ideas on youtube or etc social media, anyone could propagandize their ideas / changes / etc

Exploring Nano Server for Windows Server 2016 with Jeffrey Snover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVtsw-uzovA
Post 13 Jan 2017, 08:09
YONG

YONG
sleepsleep wrote:
> Fuck the cloud shit.
no choice, this cloud thing will become normal trend in coming years, and almost every people use cloud now,
It is okay to use cloud storage. Just remember to encrypt sensitive files before uploading and keep another backup copy on local storage.

Wink
Post 14 Jan 2017, 09:48
revolution

revolution
Yay, ever more ads to cheapen your experience and turn you into a mindless consumer that does what you are told.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/89112/microsoft-added-another-advertisement-inside-windows-10
Quote:
I asked Microsoft for comment about this advertisement and if it was an indication about more content like this coming in the future, they issued the following statement: “We are always testing new features and information that can help people enhance their Windows 10 experience”
It must be a new meaning of the word "enhance" that I was previously unaware of.
Post 19 Jan 2017, 02:39
rugxulo

rugxulo
rev, I know you're not super interested in wasting time with Linux, but I suggest you download the Zorin distro since it comes with WINE preinstalled. Not perfect but far better than nothing, and you can try it live (e.g. USB via Etcher).
Post 20 Jan 2017, 20:57
revolution

revolution
rugxulo wrote:
rev, I know you're not super interested in wasting time with Linux, but I suggest you download the Zorin distro since it comes with WINE preinstalled. Not perfect but far better than nothing, and you can try it live (e.g. USB via Etcher).
Yes, WINE is something I have to try. However some of the dedicated hardware we have requires drivers and I'm not so sure that WINE will handle it correctly. But even so, first I have to get Linux running properly and here is where it gets stuck on my hardware with various problems and incompatibilities. As things settle down in a few months time I hope to be able to devote some time towards furthering this.
Post 21 Jan 2017, 14:00
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
i saw this article just now, want to have a set up like her laptop,

Docker Containers on the Desktop
https://blog.jessfraz.com/post/docker-containers-on-the-desktop/
Quote:

I hate installing things on my host and the files getting everywhere. I wanted the ability to delete an app and know it is gone fully without some random file hanging around. This gave me that. Not only that, I can control how much CPU and Memory the app uses. Yes, the cpu/memory hungry chrome is now perfectly contained!

“What?!?!”, you say. Let me show you.
Post 22 Jan 2017, 07:38
revolution

revolution
The watchdogs, a group made up of the EU's 28 authorities responsible for enforcing data protection law, wrote to Microsoft last year expressing concerns about the default installation settings of Windows 10 and users' apparent lack of control over the company's processing of their data.
Notice the very clear indication about who's data it is. It is the user's data, not Microsoft's data. And MS have no right to simply grab it because they want it.
Post 01 Mar 2017, 04:51

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: