flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Windows 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
YONG wrote:
9 best Ultrabooks 2016: top thin and light laptops reviewed
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/best-ultrabook-18-top-thin-and-lights-1054355
Okay, I hadn't realised that those brands could be considered fashionable.
Post 24 Nov 2016, 15:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
alternative, Windows Embedded POSReady 2009,
slim, tight, sexy, in less than 2 GB

POSready2009_CD.iso 647.2 MB
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11196

Adding Drivers for Your POSReady Installation
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd458820%28v=winembedded.20%29.aspx

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18581/lifecycle-support-policy-faq-windows-products
Windows Embedded POSReady 2009. This product for Point of Sale devices reflects the updates available in Windows Embedded Standard 2009. It was originally released on 2009, and extended support will end on April 9, 2019.

no tracking, telemetry hopefully Laughing

revolution wrote:
The major things that I want is support for when things go wrong and bug-free drivers for newer devices and interfaces. If WinXP drivers had support for USB3 and HDMI etc. then I wouldn't have any need for an upgrade.

maybe non-intel usb3 supported? not really sure, will check your website for more.
Post 03 Dec 2016, 03:30
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
just installed POSReady2009 using virtualbox,

a footprint fo 956 MB, + disk management tools, really nice and fast!

i disabled paging since i allocated 1 GB memory for this virtualbox, but i love it overall, very nice!

i uncheck also POSReady devices drivers

came with .net v2
Quote:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727>csc
Microsoft (R) Visual C# 2005 Compiler version 8.00.50727.3053
Post 03 Dec 2016, 09:16
ford

ford
sleepsleep wrote:
alternative, Windows Embedded POSReady 2009,
slim, tight, sexy, in less than 2 GB

POSready2009_CD.iso 647.2 MB
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11196

Adding Drivers for Your POSReady Installation
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd458820%28v=winembedded.20%29.aspx

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18581/lifecycle-support-policy-faq-windows-products
Windows Embedded POSReady 2009. This product for Point of Sale devices reflects the updates available in Windows Embedded Standard 2009. It was originally released on 2009, and extended support will end on April 9, 2019.

no tracking, telemetry hopefully Laughing

revolution wrote:
The major things that I want is support for when things go wrong and bug-free drivers for newer devices and interfaces. If WinXP drivers had support for USB3 and HDMI etc. then I wouldn't have any need for an upgrade.

maybe non-intel usb3 supported? not really sure, will check your website for more.

There will definitely be tracking.

Post 03 Dec 2016, 19:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
ford wrote:

There will definitely be tracking.

not sure why you are so sure, i tried google posready2009 and tracking, telemetry, nothing found

btw,

i spent my saturday digging windows embedded 2009, wondering how this stuff off from my radar, i should learn this years ago,

based on guide from here,
https://blog.augustoalvarez.com.ar/2009/03/29/windows-embedded-standard-2009-step-by-step-deployment-part-i/

which is written out nicely with images,

for a thin client almost nothing much xpe, size is 216 MB, probably the skills is on "adding" components into your build image, eg. you know what to add in order to have A or B feature working.

Post 04 Dec 2016, 00:08
revolution

revolution
Truly amazing advice from MS when the latest update kills your Internet connection.
"Some customers using Windows 10 have reported difficulties connecting to the internet," said a spokeswoman for Microsoft.

"As a first step, we recommend customers restart their PCs.
So what is this amazing advice that should be followed?
Quote:
"If this does not resolve the problem, visit our website for further support."
Yah, good job MS. If you don't have Internet connectivity just visit their website (you know, the one on the Internet) for help.

But on second thought, with all the tracking, logging, advertising and monitoring in Win10 I somehow think that having no Internet connection is probably the best thing to happen.
Post 14 Dec 2016, 05:18
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
the latest update kills your Internet connection
Thanks for the warning. I will wait at least one month before updating my Windows laptop.

Wink
Post 14 Dec 2016, 06:29
system error

system error
revolution wrote:
Truly amazing advice from MS when the latest update kills your Internet connection.
"Some customers using Windows 10 have reported difficulties connecting to the internet," said a spokeswoman for Microsoft.

"As a first step, we recommend customers restart their PCs.
So what is this amazing advice that should be followed?
Quote:
"If this does not resolve the problem, visit our website for further support."
Yah, good job MS. If you don't have Internet connectivity just visit their website (you know, the one on the Internet) for help.

But on second thought, with all the tracking, logging, advertising and monitoring in Win10 I somehow think that having no Internet connection is probably the best thing to happen.

Their websites are flooded with the so called MS Certified Engineers that can't actually suggest anything useful or helpful. The ones who should respond to 'bug' reports are the internal developers.

Well, who can't blame them. When you decided to develop something that big with C++, you have this nasty tendency to be lost in your own templates and vectors.
Post 14 Dec 2016, 09:37
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
YONG wrote:
revolution wrote:
Thanks for the warning. I will wait at least one month before updating my Windows laptop.
Wink

not sure if you got the power to decide "when" to update microsoft windows laptop with default installation Laughing

Windows and Store trends
Get the data you need to help plan your Windows development efforts.
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/store/windows-app-data-trends

Quote:
The Windows usage data is obtained from customers who have opted to send us telemetry data. The app purchase and download data comes directly from the Windows Store.

the truth,
The Windows usage data is obtained by force and underhand tactics, Windows 10 provides no option to turn off sending telemetry data back to Microsoft.

Laughing weird world with weird people keep on using windows 10
Post 14 Dec 2016, 13:30
revolution

revolution
Remember that Win7 and Win8 also got the telemetry for those that didn't take measures to block "important" (and later they became "security") updates. I have blocked all updates since last year. IMO MS can no longer be trusted since they began the data-grab, some updates are laced with malware, adware and/or spyware; and trying to discover which are useful and which are not is too much hassle and easy miss one. It is funny that many people tell me I am now "less secure"; hehe, secure from whom? The largest thief, it would seem, is MS.
Post 14 Dec 2016, 13:50
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
not sure if one could choose selectively security updates anymore, they will make it harder and harder because there are lots of windows 10 agendas (important updates) to push into everybody life

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/12/12/changes-to-windows-update-supersedence/

easy monthly rollup security slipstream after clean installation means security + non security updates forced upon users,

not sure how long before revolution announce, he/she/it going to migrates into linux, bsd or etc os
Post 14 Dec 2016, 13:59
YONG

YONG
sleepsleep wrote:
YONG wrote:
revolution wrote:
Wink
not sure if you got the power to decide "when" to update microsoft windows laptop with default installation Laughing
My Windows laptop stays at my shoebox home most of the time. I bring it to the library once every two months or so for updating. Thus, I can decide when to update it.

Wink
Post 14 Dec 2016, 14:16
revolution

revolution
YONG wrote:
My Windows laptop stays at my shoebox home most of the time. I bring it to the library once every two months or so for updating. Thus, I can decide when to update it.
If you only connect to the Internet to update it then there seems to be no point to updating it in the first place.

A very secure system is one that never connects to the Internet. And a perfectly secure system is one that is never turned on.
Post 14 Dec 2016, 15:05
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
YONG wrote:
If you only connect to the Internet to update it then there seems to be no point to updating it in the first place.
But new features just keep coming. Besides, system performance may improve with updates. For example, the startup time of my tablet running Windows 10 significantly shortens after the latest update, which is a good thing.

Wink
Post 15 Dec 2016, 02:55
revolution

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
not sure how long before revolution announce, he/she/it going to migrates into linux, bsd or etc os
I'm not sure either. The FDE options are not so great in Linux (at least the ones that I could find). Apparently there are ways to use LUKS to encrypt all partitions including the root/boot/whatever_it_is_called. But LUKS only supports a single algorithm chain (usually AES). And it wouldn't be until the OS has booted that something like VeraCrypt has a chance to run and make all the cypher chains available. So, yeah, the search is ongoing.

Does anyone know of a suitable replacement/plugin for LUKS that supports multiple cypher algorithm chaining all the way from boot?
Post 15 Dec 2016, 07:23
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
i use veracrypt container only, with the os in memory, all gone after pc / laptop is power off

i guess most probably you will end up with redhat, since they offer paid support
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Security_Guide/sec-Encryption.html

you could test centos first to see if it works up to your taste, and sign in red hat paid support later

Quote:
4.10.1.1. LUKS Implementation in Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 utilizes LUKS to perform file system encryption. By default, the option to encrypt the file system is unchecked during the installation. If you select the option to encrypt your hard drive, you will be prompted for a passphrase that will be asked every time you boot the computer. This passphrase "unlocks" the bulk encryption key that is used to decrypt your partition. If you choose to modify the default partition table you can choose which partitions you want to encrypt. This is set in the partition table settings.
The default cipher used for LUKS (see cryptsetup --help) is aes-cbc-essiv:sha256 (ESSIV - Encrypted Salt-Sector Initialization Vector). Note that the installation program, Anaconda, uses by default XTS mode (aes-xts-plain64). The default key size for LUKS is 256 bits. The default key size for LUKS with Anaconda (XTS mode) is 512 bits. Ciphers that are available are:

AES - Advanced Encryption Standard - FIPS PUB 197
Twofish (A 128-bit Block Cipher)
Serpent
cast5 - RFC 2144
cast6 - RFC 2612

https://www.centos.org/
https://getfedora.org/
https://www.oracle.com/linux/index.html (paid support)
Post 15 Dec 2016, 10:00
revolution

revolution
But I think LUKS doesn't support cypher chaining, which is what I was asking about in the post above.
Post 15 Dec 2016, 10:05
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
sorry revolution, i don't know much about cipher chaining, probably it is time to call redhat / oracle.

https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/wikis/DMCrypt
might be useful, maybe time to call microsoft? Embarassed
Post 15 Dec 2016, 10:11
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
Does anyone know of a suitable replacement/plugin for LUKS that supports multiple cypher algorithm chaining all the way from boot?
That sounds like the perfect opportunity to write it in assembly. Looking forward to seeing your code.

Wink
Post 15 Dec 2016, 12:21
revolution

revolution
YONG wrote:
revolution wrote:
That sounds like the perfect opportunity to write it in assembly. Looking forward to seeing your code.
I'd be happy to, but I don't know anything about LUKS or it's header format, or even if is uses a header, and whether it can accommodate the extra master key store space and algorithm detection routines. Plus the chicken and egg problem, with no Linux system to test with I can't write the code and test it. Also, I am a dummy when it comes to dealing with C code and trying to convince others to integrate C with ASM, etc.

And, to avoid the annoying problem of entering one's password twice one can store the password as a boot parameter in the encrypted boot partition. BUT then that makes changing the password later complex and terrible. There might be no good solution to this without a complete rewrite of the Linux boot process. Sad
Post 15 Dec 2016, 12:39

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: