flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Windows 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
YONG wrote:

I hate Happle products -- they are way too expensive.

i see this as a nice question to ponder, because it affects everybody, be it apple products or some other brands, physical goods or services.

how sellers price their products / services, what are the limitation / restriction prevented them to set price according to their desire?

and what kind of "power" consumers / buyers have to demand sellers to lower or increase their price or modify selling products/services?

does supply & demand really works? or all pricing mechanism already been hijacked, rigged system?

or could i walk into any shop and demand seller selling me something at the price according to what i perceived? or how much i am willing to pay?

now, this is a situation,

a painter painted a picture / portrait, finalized it, then puts up for buyers in gallery,

a buyer go into the gallery, take out his cash monies, want that painting, but he demands the vase inside to be colored a little bit more red on the left before he willing to pay?

in another situation,

a painter painted an abstract picture, all black with a tiny gold colored dot in the center,

and he puts up in gallery with price tag, USD 10 thousand.

now my mind keep on wondering what actually happened in above scenarios. Shocked
Post 18 Nov 2016, 23:13
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
revolution wrote:
YONG wrote:
... on Windows laptops.
Indeed. This is the problem. The systems are seen as OS dependant (in this case Windows), and in fact they are. Sad

"Can you get Linux to run on your Windows laptop?"

"This is a Windows laptop so, for 'security', all other OSes can't be run"

hear a tiny conversation between a human with a ISP calling center:

consumer : hi there, i am having problem with my 5G dongle and internet connection

isp : no problem, you mind to let me know more detail?

consumer : i subscribed your 5G internet package last week, i got my dongle just now, try install it but it doesn't works, for your information, i am not using Windows operating system

isp : well, as you could see in our advertisement brochures, we mentioned explicitly our latest internet package 5G dongle only supports Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and the latest Windows 10, in fact this 5G dongle is support and usable only in the windows os i mentioned just now

cosumer : i am a linux user, i need your guidance on how to enable this 5G dongle to works inside my linux box, i am using ubuntu the all mighty 9.11 version.

isp : .... .... .... please hold on (music start flowing into)

isp : i just spoke with my first tier supervisor, we don't support linux, we only support windows os as mentioned explicitly in our advertisement

consumer : now i am using linux, and i paid for the whole year 5G internet package and 5G dongle using my credit card already, your company are supposed to support linux because i am using linux, and many people are using linux and linux is a growing os market, and i paid for the whole year 5G fee with support on-call fee.

isp : hi consumer, our company manufactured the dongle partnered with microsoft and windows development team, and we advertised our internet packaged, with explicit mentioned, it only supports windows os, i will read again, with explicit mentioned, this internet 5G package and 5G dongle only support Windows OS,

consumer : ok, f*** you and f*** your windows, Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing (phone hung up)
Post 19 Nov 2016, 00:03
YONG

YONG
sleepsleep wrote:
a buyer go into the gallery, take out his cash monies, want that painting, but he demands the vase inside to be colored a little bit more red on the left before he willing to pay?
That is easy. Just ask revolution for help. He/She is really good at adding a little bit of whatever color to a picture/photo.

Wink
Post 19 Nov 2016, 03:25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

YONG
sleepsleep wrote:
consumer : ok, f*** you and f*** your windows
No need to use foul language. Just stop using their services.

Wink
Post 19 Nov 2016, 03:32
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
YONG wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:
That is easy. Just ask revolution for help. He/She is really good at adding a little bit of whatever color to a picture/photo.

Wink

the great sunset in my favourite place to stay, Laughing

YONG wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:
consumer : ok, f*** you and f*** your windows
No need to use foul language. Just stop using their services.

Wink

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/11/17/is-cursing-bad-or-good-for-you/

Quote:

The professor of Cognitive Science at UC San Diego said cursing could be linked to higher intelligence.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:
“We start to discover that they are just words. It’s kind of like George Carlin put it: The words are innocent. It’s the uses that you put them to that can be harmful or not,” he said.

very true
Post 19 Nov 2016, 23:45
rugxulo

rugxulo
revolution wrote:

If Lenovo want to block TOR, or entire countries, or anything that is not expressly illegal then they can if they want. It is their website, their money, their decision not to serve everyone (or anyone) if they don't wish to do so.

It's somewhat (although not entirely) unlikely that they are locking others out on purpose. Yes, there is still a huge bias towards Windows and/or Intel (only), and sometimes companies do get paid off to stick exclusively to those. But, overall, Windows and Intel are far ahead of the competition, thus most end users (only) demand it and nothing else. Not to mention the fact that compatibility and support don't come for free. Thus, somebody has to devote time and money to actually (additionally) adding support for every little feature (to Linux, Mac, *BSD, Haiku, etc). So if time or money or user base isn't pressing enough, then it gets ignored in favor of "good enough" for the main 80%. (Of course, 80% of 80% of 80% eventually dwindles to zero, if you keep cutting corners.) So when they make a "secure" Windows-only machine, it's probably mostly justified because most average users don't care about installing anything else.

I really hate to defend some of these companies (and developers), often times they make short-sighted and arrogant decisions to not support xyz, but it's only fair to admit that "sometimes" it's just not worth the huge (non-trivial) extra effort required to support every obscure OS/cpu/compiler/browser/localization/etc.
Post 20 Nov 2016, 11:01
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
The tyranny of the majority.
Post 20 Nov 2016, 12:58
ford

ford
sleepsleep wrote:
YONG wrote:

I hate Happle products -- they are way too expensive.

i see this as a nice question to ponder, because it affects everybody, be it apple products or some other brands, physical goods or services.

how sellers price their products / services, what are the limitation / restriction prevented them to set price according to their desire?

and what kind of "power" consumers / buyers have to demand sellers to lower or increase their price or modify selling products/services?

does supply & demand really works? or all pricing mechanism already been hijacked, rigged system?

or could i walk into any shop and demand seller selling me something at the price according to what i perceived? or how much i am willing to pay?

now, this is a situation,

a painter painted a picture / portrait, finalized it, then puts up for buyers in gallery,

in another situation,

a painter painted an abstract picture, all black with a tiny gold colored dot in the center,

and he puts up in gallery with price tag, USD 10 thousand.

now my mind keep on wondering what actually happened in above scenarios. Shocked

If no one bought Apple products, they would be forced to lower their prices. As people go out and buy every new Apple product as soon as it is available, Apple will not lower their prices. Further, Apple posted record sales levels of their latest Macbook Pros despite them being more expensive than the last generation.

In many markets, in many countries, dickering (kibitzing over prices) is customary. In the USA, it more often is not. Further, most US megacorps do not allow any dickering. Whether or not dickering is customary or even allowed by a seller, the seller will eventually respond to market forces. If no sales are made at one price, they will adjust the price again and again until sales are made.

Post 21 Nov 2016, 00:21
YONG

YONG
ford wrote:
Apple posted record sales levels of their latest Macbook Pros despite them being more expensive than the last generation.
The latest HackBook Pro still uses DDR3 RAM while many latest mid-range Windows laptops have already switched to DDR4 counterparts. That's why I call it a rip-off!

Wink
Post 21 Nov 2016, 03:01
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
fyi, windows 10 AU 1607 (redstone 1) iso 32/64 allows you to upgrade "free" from win7, win8, win8.1 pc / laptop.

for those who still want to upgrade into win 10, you still no need to pay any cents to microsoft, upgrade must be clean installed,

use usb with gpt partition, fat32 fs, copy all iso files into usb, and you will have bootable uefi win 10 installer

your hard disk must be gpt too, i use the following methods to set up my 2 partitions

create partition primary size=100000
create partition primary

select partition 1
delete partition

when installer comes to choosing where to install win 10, you just use the unallocated partition, win 10 will create its own required partitions.
Post 22 Nov 2016, 23:43
YONG

YONG
sleepsleep wrote:
for those who still want to upgrade into win 10, you still no need to pay any cents to microsoft, upgrade must be clean installed,
Thanks for the info. But I guess the free upgrade is still available:

Windows 10 free upgrade for customers who use assistive technologies
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Wink
Post 23 Nov 2016, 01:17
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
thanks for the info too, i usually "clean format" and never try upgrade,
Post 23 Nov 2016, 13:25
revolution

revolution
YONG wrote:
The latest HackBook Pro still uses DDR3 RAM while many latest mid-range Windows laptops have already switched to DDR4 counterparts. That's why I call it a rip-off!
No, you've got it all wrong. The actual hardware doesn't matter. You're buying into a culture, not an electronic machine. Get with the plan.

A man, a plan, a canal, Panama
Post 23 Nov 2016, 13:34
ford

ford
revolution wrote:
YONG wrote:
No, you've got it all wrong. The actual hardware doesn't matter. You're buying into a culture, not an electronic machine. Get with the plan.

A man, a plan, a canal, Panama

In the past, I might have disagreed with Apple haters... not so much anymore. It appears as though they are moving more and more toward iTrinkets and less and less toward decent machines. There was a time when Apple meant better build quality, a UNIX OS, good customer support, and decently modern technologies. Now, Apple means three year old technology and a gimmick.

I can get an HP with higher specs, the same build quality, and a lower price.

I would still take iOS over Android, but the 6, 6S, and 7 all have pretty high failure rates in comparison to equally priced Android phones, so the software is less of a concern.

I suppose that you're just better off to buy anything other than Apple and swap out whatever crap shoot of an OS comes pre-installed.

Post 24 Nov 2016, 01:17
revolution

revolution
ford wrote:
iTrinkets
More like iStatusSymbol for many people IMO. It's not what's inside that matters, it's the outside logo that everyone sees that is the most important thing. Only tech nerds really know and care what CPU or RAM specs their devices have.
Post 24 Nov 2016, 01:31
ProphetOfDoom

ProphetOfDoom
IIRC, every Windows PC I've ever owned has had this Windows-y feature on start up where the desktop would appear and the hard drive would start chugging away but nothing would respond to mouse clicks until about one minute later. Windows also reserves the right to start chugging and not responding every once in a while during general usage. Actually, my Windows 98 system from when I was 16 may have been the one exception to that rule. But anyway you just don't get that problem with Linux or Mac OS X because they are designed and implemented correctly.
Post 24 Nov 2016, 03:05
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
No, you've got it all wrong. The actual hardware doesn't matter. You're buying into a culture, not an electronic machine.
Are you a spokesperson for Happle?

Your "culture" argument might have worked before. Now, there are so many cheaper alternatives that are far more fashionable than HackBook Pro!

Wink
Post 24 Nov 2016, 03:26
YONG

YONG
ford wrote:
Now, Apple means three year old technology and a gimmick.
Exactly!

Wink
Post 24 Nov 2016, 03:27
revolution

revolution
YONG wrote:
Are you a spokesperson for Happle?
Maybe I should be, thanks for the suggestion.
YONG wrote:
Now, there are so many cheaper alternatives that are far more fashionable than HackBook Pro!
I am curious to know what is considered more fashionable? Lenovo? HP?
Post 24 Nov 2016, 03:40
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
I am curious to know what is considered more fashionable? Lenovo? HP?
Take a look at the following list, which was posted just one month ago:

9 best Ultrabooks 2016: top thin and light laptops reviewed
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/best-ultrabook-18-top-thin-and-lights-1054355

Pay attention to the price of each of these fashionable laptops.

Wink
Post 24 Nov 2016, 04:58

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: