flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Windows 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Trinitek

Trinitek
There seems to be a sort of aesthetic regression going on here. Does anybody recall Windows 3.1 and its blindingly white windows? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/Windows_3.11_workspace.png

I'm almost tempted to create a Windows 10 shell for 3.1 just to see how well it would work graphically.

For the record, I like 90% of the UI. Sad But I'll agree, the checkbox switches in the control panel need to go away.

I saw somebody who claimed to be responsible for working on the new settings panel at Microsoft. He posted on 4chan about how much of a nightmare the whole system is. It's a mess, internally. I wish I could find it!

Furs wrote:
I couldn't find that with Windows 10 and I can't really be bothered to look for it, considering how many issues it has.
You might be able to modify one of the high contrast themes. I think they removed the classic theme back in Win8.
Post 22 Oct 2016, 19:31
YONG

YONG
system error wrote:
Can win10 read toe print? I am curious. If it can then there is an added security feature for you. I mean, who would have thought that?
Palm vein verification may sound more practical. Refer to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_geometry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vein_matching

Wink
Post 23 Oct 2016, 03:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
system error

system error
yong, that's a shame. Hands are overuse body parts. Toe prints are just as good as finger prints and that smell can put off any possible password thieves. They are mostly hidden too so they are not easy to duplicate. Just saying ;D
Post 24 Oct 2016, 03:15
YONG

YONG
system error wrote:
Toe prints ... are mostly hidden too so they are not easy to duplicate.
Many people wear slippers at home. Toe prints could be easily extracted from them, especially those made of plastic materials.

Just my two cents.

Wink
Post 24 Oct 2016, 05:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs

Furs
Fingerprints or any biometric stuff are not good security measures because they are not secrets, everyone knows you carry them with you and where exactly you do so. Theoretically, they can find out that information, and fake it with a device, if they're dedicated enough. Even without having to boot with another OS to bypass it.

This is why you can't use this stuff for encryption since it's all based on a secret.

Yeah it will protect against a dumb common burglar or whatever, but who cares of that? A simple semi-random password that you can easily remember will turn off those, too.
Post 25 Oct 2016, 12:19
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
YONG wrote:
system error wrote:
Can win10 read toe print? I am curious. If it can then there is an added security feature for you. I mean, who would have thought that?
Palm vein verification may sound more practical. Refer to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_geometry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vein_matching
These sorts of things are only good for identification; not authorisation or authentication. Someone can still force you to use your hand/finger/toe/whatever to open or unlock something without your permission.

Perhaps it is time I post this link again about the dangers of using a body part as an access method to something of value.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4396831.stm
Post 26 Oct 2016, 05:23
revolution

revolution
Lenovo only allowing Windows 10 OS to be installed.
... Windows Signature devices are “closed following an agreement with Microsoft” ... forcing users that chose Lenovo models at this time to be stuck with Windows 10 Home
But all it requires is a degree in hardware modification, some soldering kit and forgetting about your warranty:
Quote:
Currently, one user had successfully installed Linux On Their device by manually flashing Their bios by soldering a chip programmer onto the actual chip.

They flashed a version They manually modified the BIOS by reverse engineering and hacking the code to get around Lenovo’s goto stmt, restoring uesr access to the advanced settings page.
Sounds easy. Installing Linux should be a breeze on Lenovo systems.

Also notice the error in the above quote where it says "On Their device" meaning the user's device; it should read "On Microsoft's device". Razz

But seriously, this is where it is going. Manufacturers are being actively hostile to "other" OSes. With perhaps some exceptions for "developer editions" that are really just the maxed out super-expensive, super-heavy models. Because apparently you can't be a Linux user unless you buy the most expensive model available.

On a side note: The Lenovo website blocks access from TOR nodes. So no TOR, no Linux, no freedom, you will do as you are told by your corporate masters. Rolling Eyes
Post 16 Nov 2016, 16:45
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
revolution wrote:

Because apparently you can't be a Linux user unless you buy the most expensive model available.

oh, that is absolutely correct Laughing
but then who am i with a cheap acer i5 laptop, cheap acer desktop running Porteus? http://www.porteus.org and Alpine https://alpinelinux.org Crying or Very sad

maybe i am firefox and virtualbox user Cool

i suggest you try memory based linux first, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions_that_run_from_RAM since they don't require installation

Microsoft Fortifies Commitment to Open Source, Becomes Linux Foundation Platinum Member
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/announcements/microsoft-fortifies-commitment-to-open-source-becomes-linux-foundation-platinum

and since microsoft joined linux foundation yesterday, we will see more and more ms windows stuffs migrated and take over linux, linux might be named as windows in future
Shocked

they already got bash in win10, pushing .net core & families into open source, most available in github and available in linux & bsd,

last maybe a new dot net gui (like gtk) that see no different from windows ui, and that is the day windows take over linux Cool

revolution wrote:
On a side note: The Lenovo website blocks access from TOR nodes. So no TOR, no Linux, no freedom, you will do as you are told by your corporate masters.

very true, but this is an interesting question Idea
is it a crime or unethical etc for a website webserver to choose / programmed to serves only group of users who use maybe X ISP, or X browser, or X region?

like a shop that opens only for whites? blacks? asians? japanese? male? female? kids? grandpas? lesbian? gay?

but we allow shop that only sell laptop, wine, clothes, watches, glasses, sex, food etc

what is equal in definition?
Post 17 Nov 2016, 03:13
revolution

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
is it a crime or unethical etc for a website webserver to choose / programmed to serves only group of users who use maybe X ISP, or X browser, or X region?
Crime? I doubt it (but some countries have some weird laws). Unethical, maybe. It depends upon your beliefs.
sleepsleep wrote:
like a shop that opens only for whites? blacks? asians? japanese? male? female? kids? grandpas? lesbian? gay?
Most people consider that race/religion/gender/sexual orientation/age are protected things and shouldn't be discriminated against. Many countries have laws against it, but not all.
sleepsleep wrote:
but we allow shop that only sell laptop, wine, clothes, watches, glasses, sex, food etc
Shop owners have certain things they know and care about and can't be expected to sell things they don't know about or don't care about.
sleepsleep wrote:
what is equal in definition?
Nothing is equal. It is only how we treat things when we decide to pretend things are equal.

If Lenovo want to block TOR, or entire countries, or anything that is not expressly illegal then they can if they want. It is their website, their money, their decision not to serve everyone (or anyone) if they don't wish to do so.
Post 17 Nov 2016, 04:59
revolution

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
i suggest you try memory based linux first ...
But that wouldn't be an option if the system forbids "other" OSes. You would be stuck forever with a single OS. No choices, no options, no booting to unapproved code, no escaping the control.
Post 17 Nov 2016, 05:03
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
revolution wrote:

But that wouldn't be an option if the system forbids "other" OSes.

i assume market will performs its supply and demand reaction, for the time being, maybe get a cheap non-lenovo laptop? they should just work fine

1) a pc shop, only sell lenovo,
- shop have contract with lenovo solely
- only interested with selling lenovo products
- only knew how to sell, service lenovo products
- only care about lenovo products

2) a bar that only allow blacks
- shop set up by blacks,
- only serve foods, drinks that suited for blacks
- only interested in providing environment for blacks
- only care about blacks

3) a website that only serve normal internet network, tor explicitly excluded
- because he knows his stuffs, want all connections / download to be tracked

4) a website that only can be reached from tor network, .onion
- because he knows his stuffs, only allow total privacy connections

5) laptop that allow you to put anything
- normal pc shop

6) laptop that only allow you put windows 10
- like lenovo pc shop

maybe it just discrimination didn't exists, or they are just normal in every way?

i should ask why a acer pc shop only sell acer laptop? Shocked
Post 17 Nov 2016, 05:53
revolution

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
i assume market will performs its supply and demand reaction, for the time being, maybe get a cheap non-lenovo laptop? they should just work fine
Then the problem becomes to spot the unlocked laptop. Forget about asking the salesperson, they'll just tell you what you want to hear: "Of course you can put Linux" they'll say.

Actually no, doing all this ourselves is not the answer. I'm convinced of that. The manufacturers should be the one's to install and support Linux. Anything else is just an excuse for them to tell you to go away when something isn't working correctly. "Sorry, unauthorised OS so the fault was probably caused by incorrect configuration settings, caused by bad drivers that didn't know about the secret unpublished bit settings that reduce the overheating, warranty voided, go away".

Last edited by revolution on 17 Nov 2016, 10:40; edited 1 time in total
Post 17 Nov 2016, 07:14
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
The manufacturers should be the one's to install and support Linux.
Exactly! I, as a user, want the Linux distro to work perfectly on the hardware/laptop that I purchased. Without support from the manufacturers, driver issues will always get in the way. I am very willing to try affordable Linux-based laptops if they are available in the local market.

BTW, I have never tried booting/running Linux on my Lenovo laptop that runs Windows 10. Maybe I should give it a shot to see if I can boot the laptop up with a USB thumb drive.

Wink
Post 17 Nov 2016, 07:37
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
i would bring my bootable usb linux pendrive to the pc store, asking their permission if they allow me to boot my linux with the model i am interested

i see it this way, if i want something, stuffs that probably not so common in the market, i have to find it myself, just like knowledge or ideas that i am interested, or how to solve some problems, it is surely good, excellent, good luck if somebody who knows more, experienced those issues before, willing to assist us, but in the end, if i am going to drive a car in future, somehow i gotta make sure i have the skill and knowledge on how to change a tire

is it "fear of unknown" that actually cause people stop trying to boot live usb linux on their laptop?
Post 18 Nov 2016, 00:08
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
YONG wrote:

I am very willing to try affordable Linux-based laptops if they are available in the local market.

there are actually a lot of models, try skip those broadcom wireless, in fact, you could actually google those models before purchasing, some people blog about their successful attempt to put linux into particular model.

or, you might want to consider hackintosh laptop list, at least you could adventure into hackintosh easily if linux doesn't impresses you

https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/november/2016

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/laptop-compatibility.106791/
Post 18 Nov 2016, 00:15
YONG

YONG
sleepsleep wrote:
is it "fear of unknown" that actually cause people stop trying to boot live usb linux on their laptop?
No, I don't think so. It is the lack of drivers (or the lack of manufacturers' support) that stops even power users like me from trying out Linux distros on Windows laptops.

Wink
Post 18 Nov 2016, 03:46
YONG

YONG
sleepsleep wrote:
YONG wrote:
I am very willing to try affordable Linux-based laptops if they are available in the local market.
there are actually a lot of models ...
No, I don't think so.

sleepsleep wrote:
or, you might want to consider hackintosh laptop list
I hate Happle products -- they are way too expensive. Most of the time, you can find a high-end Windows laptop that gives about the same performance at two-thirds of the price. That's why Happle is so profitable!

Wink
Post 18 Nov 2016, 03:57
revolution

revolution
YONG wrote:
... on Windows laptops.
Indeed. This is the problem. The systems are seen as OS dependant (in this case Windows), and in fact they are. Sad

"Can you get Linux to run on your Windows laptop?"

"This is a Windows laptop so, for 'security', all other OSes can't be run"
Post 18 Nov 2016, 04:07
TmX

TmX
In ideal world, open source OSes like Linux run on open source hardware.

Open source hardware means virtually any skillfull/knowledgeable person could contribute to its development.

Well, of course we are not there yet. Maybe someday in the future Smile
Post 18 Nov 2016, 10:28
TmX

TmX
YONG wrote:
I hate Happle products -- they are way too expensive.

Apple products are expensive. True, not going to disagree this.

But if you are into mobile apps development, and want to learn iOS programming, owning a Mac is a must.
It's practically impossible to do iOS development without involving Xcode. And unfortunately, Xcode only runs in Mac.

Wink
Post 18 Nov 2016, 10:35

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: