flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Windows 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
YONG wrote:
How come you always suspect there is a connection to ISIS? What benefits would M$ get by helping ISIS? You are being paranoid!
It wasn't so long ago that a mention of NSA would also get one accused of being paranoid. So maybe I am just paranoid, but then again maybe it is real and we just don't know it yet! Shocked
Post 21 Aug 2016, 06:00
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i suspect something too with broken webcams after win10 anniversary update,

it seems that this update was not accidental, it was purposely acted out to cause webcams malfunctioned.

why they want to control / prevent communication through webcams? or we shall see others methods of face to face communication having issues soon? facebook, google duo, etc?

stack getting higher, us presidential election
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2016
Quote:
The United States presidential election of 2016, scheduled for Tuesday, November 8, 2016, will be the 58th quadrennial U.S. presidential election.

workaround
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/76719/microsoft-broken-millions-webcams-windows-10-anniversary-update

Quote:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform, add DWORD “EnableFrameServerMode” and set to 0,
Post 21 Aug 2016, 14:44
revolution

revolution
sleepsleep: I don't think MS deliberately broke webcams. It was just laziness, mismanagement and poor testing. It would have been much better for them to have slipped it in without breaking anything, then they (i.e. NSA/GCHQ/MS/ISIS) could spy on the camera stream without anyone noticing.
Post 21 Aug 2016, 15:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:
The problem is that after installing the update, Windows no longer allows USB webcams to use MJPEG or H264 encoded streams and is only allowing YUY2 encoding.

a rough google said the issue arises because win10 update disables the above 2 codecs for webcams, this is not laziness or mismanagement, imo.
Post 21 Aug 2016, 19:49
revolution

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
a rough google said the issue arises because win10 update disables the above 2 codecs for webcams, this is not laziness or mismanagement, imo.
It was supposed to be an attempt to improve performance by not having every app do its own decode and just give direct raw video only. But the laziness and mismanagement is in the testing and documentation. They didn't bother to think about the consequences (lazy), and they didn't inform anyone in the "insider" testing about the new restrictions (mismanagement leading to insufficient testing), so it gets put into RTM and people suffer. And with the new enforced update policy for most users people get it even when they don't want it.
Post 21 Aug 2016, 19:58
Trinitek

Trinitek
Has Microsoft spun off any companies? There's plenty of publically traded companies that like to spin off divisions when they get too big. But they just keep absorbing startups like a dry sponge.
Post 21 Aug 2016, 22:58
revolution

revolution
https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/20744/clicking-links-in-windows-10
Quote:
The link is usually sent per e-mail or in a word document. When copy-pasting the link in the browser, it works fine. However, clicking a link in an e-mail or document doesn't. It doesn't update the login: when a user isn't logged in it shows an unauthorized message, and when another link has been clicked before the old one is served.
Win10 completely ignores your browser settings and pre-emptively decides to do its own thing. So if you have some settings that you want to examine all redirects, or, as in the case of the above problem, the website sets some cookies, then Win10 will ignore that and now you won't know what happened.

And one wonders if it also sends the URL to MS to track your habits?

Its like a game of hide and seek. How many more things will we discover that Win10 breaks? Razz
Post 23 Aug 2016, 20:03
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
something terribly wrong with windows 10,
i hope i don't have to rely on this os to earn a living in near future.
Post 24 Aug 2016, 23:01
YONG

YONG
sleepsleep wrote:
something terribly wrong with windows 10,
i hope i don't have to rely on this os to earn a living in near future.
Unfortunately, the thread-starter has to rely on this OS to make a living, and that is not going to change in the near future.

Wink
Post 25 Aug 2016, 03:02
revolution

revolution
Kindle crashes and broken PowerShell: Something isn’t right with Windows 10 testing
Quote:
None of this is excusable. I wrote last Friday that issues like the webcam problem would "inevitably recur" due to the problems of Microsoft's current testing regime: lack of internal testing (the people who did this were laid off); Insiders not testing on real systems (because they're advised not to use it on their primary PCs); and Insiders tending to give poor feedback (they're not professional testers, and Microsoft's very weak release notes give no indication of what things have been changed and hence need testing in the first place).
Yay for Win10. Keep up the good work MS. Razz
Post 27 Aug 2016, 02:17
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
Latest Intel, AMD chips will only run Windows 10 ... and Linux, BSD, OS X
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/02/windows_intel_kaby_lake_amd_zen/

Quote:
Basically, for now, don't buy an Intel seventh-generation Core nor an AMD Zen CPU if you want to keep running Windows 7 or 8.1. Shame.
Post 03 Sep 2016, 10:59
YONG

YONG
Why would a user buy a latest CPU and then install / use an old version of Windows on the computer? Rolling Eyes

Wink
Post 03 Sep 2016, 12:00
El Tangas

El Tangas
YONG wrote:
Why would a user buy a latest CPU and then install / use an old version of Windows on the computer? Rolling Eyes

Wink

I do that all the time, older versions have less bloat, are faster and better tested. The machine I'm using now to write this has windows 7 and office 2007. I don't feel any need to upgrade.
Post 03 Sep 2016, 22:22
YONG

YONG
El Tangas wrote:
YONG wrote:

Wink

I do that all the time, older versions have less bloat, are faster and better tested. The machine I'm using now to write this has windows 7 and office 2007. I don't feel any need to upgrade.
Is it a legit copy? I believe you need a license of Windows for the new machine.

Wink
Post 04 Sep 2016, 01:16
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
retail pack license allow you to install in any pc as long as there is only one live copy at a time,

oem follow machines, retail follow users,

i run free vm windows provided by microsoft inside virtualbox,

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/
Post 04 Sep 2016, 03:08
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
YONG wrote:

Wink

because user don't want win malware 10? Laughing Laughing
Post 04 Sep 2016, 03:09
YONG

YONG
sleepsleep wrote:
retail pack license allow you to install in any pc as long as there is only one live copy at a time,

oem follow machines, retail follow users,
Thanks for the info.

Wink
Post 04 Sep 2016, 03:23
YONG

YONG
sleepsleep wrote:
YONG wrote:
because user don't want win malware 10? Laughing Laughing
But the old versions are unlikely to be able to take full advantage of the new features of the CPU.

Wink
Post 04 Sep 2016, 03:27
revolution

revolution
YONG wrote:
But the old versions are unlikely to be able to take full advantage of the new features of the CPU.
Yes, this is a problem with all older OSes. Things like 64-bit or AVX could be unavailable. But the problem extends further than the CPU. Newer peripherals won't have drivers and will either operate in a lower compatibility mode or simply be unusable.
Post 04 Sep 2016, 03:36
El Tangas

El Tangas
YONG wrote:
Is it a legit copy? I believe you need a license of Windows for the new machine.

Wink

That's another advantage of old software, I can get as many licenses as I want from friends, family and coworkers who updated to the latest versions Laughing Laughing
Post 04 Sep 2016, 07:32

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: