flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Windows 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17450
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
YONG wrote:
Do you realistically think that you could move to Kepler-62f, which is about 1200 light-years from Earth?
They do it in Star Trek easily.
YONG wrote:
There is a fine line between dream and fantasy. Grow up, ...
Erm, is it that a dream is while sleeping and fantasy is while awake? Or something like that?
YONG wrote:
... son.
... or daughter.
YONG wrote:
A 2-to-3-year life span is good enough for most users. Technological advances would render your old hardware obsolete anyway.
Strangely I am still using a laptop from 2003, and it is still relevant and useful. It is on its third set of batteries and its original HDD. If current models can't last more than 2 years then there is something very wrong. I look for long term use, not some flash-in-the-pan cheap crap that requires me to be worried it might die in the next minute. Evil or Very Mad
Post 16 Jun 2016, 04:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
YONG wrote:
Do you realistically think that you could move to Kepler-62f, which is about 1200 light-years from Earth?
They do it in Star Trek easily.
Then you should join the crew for Star Trek 4:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28film_series%29#Star_Trek_4_.28TBA.29

Wink
Post 16 Jun 2016, 04:39
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
YONG wrote:
... son.
... or daughter.
Sorry. I forgot your gender-neutral nature. Already fixed. Wink
Post 16 Jun 2016, 04:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17450
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
YONG wrote:
revolution wrote:
YONG wrote:
Do you realistically think that you could move to Kepler-62f, which is about 1200 light-years from Earth?
They do it in Star Trek easily.
Then you should join the crew for Star Trek 4:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28film_series%29#Star_Trek_4_.28TBA.29

Wink
I hope they don't use Windows 10 on the Enterprise! Everyone would be so busy rating the controls, trying to link programs beginning with 'k' and waiting for reboots that they forget about steering the ship and crash into a planet, or a star, or a mutant space goat.


Last edited by revolution on 16 Jun 2016, 04:53; edited 1 time in total
Post 16 Jun 2016, 04:46
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
YONG wrote:
A 2-to-3-year life span is good enough for most users. Technological advances would render your old hardware obsolete anyway.
Strangely I am still using a laptop from 2003, and it is still relevant and useful. It is on its third set of batteries and its original HDD. If current models can't last more than 2 years then there is something very wrong. I look for long term use, not some flash-in-the-pan cheap crap that requires me to be worried it might die in the next minute. Evil or Very Mad
Then you should never consider buying entry-level laptops. Here is a high-end model that you might like to take a look at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqtJxBJ8hK0&t=3m22s

Out of curiosity: What is the capacity of your "original" HDD? 4GB? Rolling Eyes

Wink
Post 16 Jun 2016, 04:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17450
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
YONG wrote:
Then you should never consider buying entry-level laptops.
I don't.
YONG wrote:
Out of curiosity: What is the capacity of your "original" HDD? 4GB? Rolling Eyes
Hehe, yeah sure, 4GB Razz No, not really, it is 120GB. But now I realise that is was upgraded in 2005, and before that it was 30GB. So I guess it is on its second HDD, not its first.
Post 16 Jun 2016, 04:58
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
YONG wrote:
Out of curiosity: What is the capacity of your "original" HDD? 4GB? Rolling Eyes
Hehe, yeah sure, 4GB Razz No, not really, it is 120GB. But now I realise that is was upgraded in 2005, and before that it was 30GB. So I guess it is on its second HDD, not its first.
Having a 30GB HDD in 2003 means that your notebook must be a top-of-the-line model then:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/15-years-of-hard-drive-history,1368-5.html

That's why it is still up and running.

Wink
Post 16 Jun 2016, 05:09
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17450
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
YONG wrote:
Having a 30GB HDD in 2003 means that your notebook must be a top-of-the-line model then:
And the extra cost is well worth it in the long term IMO.
YONG wrote:
That's why it is still up and running.
No. It is still running because I look after it (cleaning the fan etc.), and all the consumable parts (batteries etc.) have been updated.
Post 16 Jun 2016, 05:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
I hope they don't use Windows 10 on the Enterprise! Everyone would be so busy rating the controls, trying to link programs beginning with 'k' and waiting for reboots that they forget about steering the ship and crash into a planet, or a star, or a mutant space goat.
That would not happen. The Enterprise can do a last-minute "Warp Jump" and thus can avoid any such collisions. (I am not a big fan but I know!)

Star Trek Into Darkness: All Warp Jump Scenes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSiwftMMKvo

Wink
Post 16 Jun 2016, 06:45
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
YONG wrote:
Having a 30GB HDD in 2003 means that your notebook must be a top-of-the-line model then:
And the extra cost is well worth it in the long term IMO.
But there is more to the equation than simple upfront monetary costs. After factoring in the costs of updating all the consumable parts and the time spent in constantly looking after the hardware, I don't think you are better off after all -- not to mention that you are stuck with an old CPU that is not upgradable.

These days, I would rather buy entry-level laptops / budget Chromebooks. I do know that they don't last long. Since I would have to buy a new one every two years or so in order to keep up with the latest tech, it does not really matter. As advised by a wise forum member, we have to back up our data on a regular basis. So, even if the cheap crap actually dies in the next minute, we can get everything up and running again on a new cheap crap pretty easily.

Wink
Post 16 Jun 2016, 07:08
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17450
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
And with Windows 10 backups become even more important because the OS can delete your stuff at MSes behest whenever it feels like doing it. And of course with perfectly working hardware (acquired at a premium cost) the deletion process will be sure to succeed perfectly. So perhaps you are correct that a cheapo nasty laptop will be better with Windows 10 in the hope that the deletion will fail due to errant signals and instead only end up crashing the system every five minutes. Seems like a perfect match: crap hardware and a crap OS. Razz
Post 16 Jun 2016, 08:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
So perhaps you are correct that a cheapo nasty laptop will be better with Windows 10 in the hope that the deletion will fail due to errant signals and instead only end up crashing the system every five minutes. Seems like a perfect match: crap hardware and a crap OS. Razz
I do understand why you would have made such silly remarks. Son/Daughter, go home and get some sleep. The starship that you are currently on board (NCC-1701) is purely fictional. Return to reality, please!

Wink
Post 16 Jun 2016, 09:10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep



Joined: 05 Oct 2006
Posts: 8998
Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
/me waiting for revolution own operating system,

http://genode.org/about/
Quote:
The Genode OS Framework is a tool kit for building highly secure special-purpose operating systems. It scales from embedded systems with as little as 4 MB of memory to highly dynamic general-purpose workloads.


plan 9
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/about.html
Quote:

Plan 9 demonstrates a new and often cleaner way to solve most systems problems. The system as a whole is likely to feel tantalizingly familiar to Unix users but at the same time quite foreign.


http://www.fudzilla.com/news/40775-os-2-comes-back-from-the-dead
Quote:

The Blue Lion project has now become the ArcaOS 5.0 which means that it is following the old IBM name pattening. The last IBM OS/2 was 4.52. It is supposed to be released in the fourth quarter of 2016. A roadmap is still being constructed for future releases of ArcaOS, with version 5.1 bringing support for additional languages – French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Dutch.
Post 18 Jun 2016, 20:05
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17450
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
/me waiting for revolution own operating system,
Don't hold your breath.
Post 19 Jun 2016, 02:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:
/me waiting for revolution own operating system,
Don't hold your breath.
revolution does not have his/her own OS. In fact, almost all of his/her clients run Windows. Whenever there are new OS issues, he/she will have to check whether any of the applications written for the clients are affected. That is what makes his/her work life hell and why he/she hates Windows so much.

Wink
Post 19 Jun 2016, 02:53
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17450
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
YONG wrote:
revolution does not have his/her own OS. In fact, almost all of his/her clients run Windows. Whenever there are new OS issues, he/she will have to check whether any of the applications written for the clients are affected. That is what makes his/her work life hell and why he/she hates Windows so much.
Somewhat true, but the reason for my dislike towards Windows 10 is incorrect. Windows as an OS is reliable, fast and generally backwards compatible without too many issues. The part that is untenable is the keylogging, spying, ceding control to third parties and the general authoritarian big-brother approach MS takes towards the users these days. It is a pity that the few mainstream alternatives are not much better, with Linux being the only one that stands apart in this regard. But Linux has its own issues also, so I guess no matter what OS is chosen it will be a constant struggle to maintain the computers in a way that pleases us.


Last edited by revolution on 21 Jun 2016, 15:35; edited 1 time in total
Post 19 Jun 2016, 03:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 8000
Location: 22° 15' N | 114° 10' E
YONG
revolution wrote:
Windows as an OS is reliable, fast ...
I think you do know the issues that Windows Update constantly brings to the users. I would not bother to go into the details. All in all, I would not say Windows 10 is reliable.

Windows 8.1 is fast. Windows 10 is not.

Wink
Post 19 Jun 2016, 03:25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep



Joined: 05 Oct 2006
Posts: 8998
Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
revolution wrote:
so I guess no matter what OS is chosen it will be a constant struggle to maintain the computers in a way that pleases us.


i guess this issue comes from the fact we never restrict and limit what a computer could outputs, which is good and luckily actually imo,

windows 10 is sinking ship, majority people use it because they got no choice, stuck with applications that depended on windows api, lack of understandable alternative and fear to explore and discover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
Quote:
The Unix philosophy, originated by Ken Thompson, is a set of cultural norms and philosophical approaches to minimalist, modular software development. It is based on the experience of leading developers of the Unix operating system. Early Unix developers were important in bringing the concepts of modularity and reusability into software engineering practice, spawning a "software tools" movement. Over time, the leading developers of Unix (and programs that ran on it) established a set of cultural norms for developing software, norms which became as important and influential as the technology of Unix itself; this has been termed the "Unix philosophy."
Post 21 Jun 2016, 15:28
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
sleepsleep



Joined: 05 Oct 2006
Posts: 8998
Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
talking about this,
my idea for new operating system,

a network server based os, all commands, api calling and return, r/w via network ports, transparent to network packets monitor, user could choose to allow what category of api available for particular program,

eg,
no gateway or internet access,
limit to use 1GB or memory,
no disk write to anywhere,
no executable from anywhere,
no access to pendrive / external drive / network drive,
no access to speaker, sound, video, camera, gps,

the default setting is disable access to everything except what user allow that program to use in api level,

i should just keep on dreaming,,,,
Post 21 Jun 2016, 15:40
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source


Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Posts: 17450
Location: In your JS exploiting you and your system
revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
talking about this,
my idea for new operating system,

a network server based os, all commands, api calling and return, r/w via network ports, transparent to network packets monitor, user could choose to allow what category of api available for particular program,

eg,
no gateway or internet access,
limit to use 1GB or memory,
no disk write to anywhere,
no executable from anywhere,
no access to pendrive / external drive / network drive,
no access to speaker, sound, video, camera, gps,

the default setting is disable access to everything except what user allow that program to use in api level,

i should just keep on dreaming,,,,
Great, now go ahead and write it and post the download URL for us to test it. Razz

Only 1GB? Seriously?
Post 21 Jun 2016, 16:27
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Copyright © 1999-2020, Tomasz Grysztar. Also on YouTube, Twitter.

Website powered by rwasa.