flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Windows 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/microsoft-tricks-upgrades-windows-phone-dead-tech-news-digest/
Quote:
Microsoft is getting increasingly desperate in its bid to persuade us all to upgrade to Windows 10. And its latest effort employs dirty tactics, essentially fooling people into upgrading to Windows 10 by changing how the nagscreen works.

Up to now, users who don’t want to upgrade to Windows 10 could just keep Microsoft happy by closing the nagscreen whenever it popped up. But that’s no longer the case. Now, closing the nagscreen means you’re giving Microsoft permission to upgrade your computer to Windows 10.

This is because the nagscreen now tells you Windows 10 is a Recommended Update which will be scheduled for a date sometime in the future. Clicking X, as you have been doing for the last six months, is you agreeing to the upgrade. In order to cancel it, you need to click the tiny link instead.

It isn’t clear whether Microsoft changed this on purpose in order to catch people out. And anyone caught out by this can downgrade to their previous OS for a limited time. However, it’s annoyed a lot people, including a host of angry Redditors, and Brad Chacos from PC World.

If Microsoft wants people not only to adopt Windows 10, but to actually love it, tricking them into installing it in the first place is not the way to go about things. So, if you see this new nagscreen, don’t blindly click the X in the top right-hand corner, click the link under the date instead.
Post 24 May 2016, 12:56
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
TmX wrote:
YONG wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:
i actually felt google spy a lot too through chrome browser, chromium, chromeos, android and etc,
Embrace it! Laughing Wink

Android is open source, so if you are brave enough, then just hack the source code, disable all the spying stuffs, and install it on your phone.
Well, theoritically.

Or maybe switch to another platform (Replicant/Tizen/Ubuntu Phone/etc) Razz

well, very timid and limited capability human here, i only know complaint, hardly got da brain to fix things Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2907884/why-is-android-so-different-from-linux-distros.html
Post 25 May 2016, 00:55
ford

ford
I use Linux and for a few applications I run Win10 in a virtual machine with KVM and VFIO. No downside really...
Post 27 May 2016, 04:53
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TheRaven

TheRaven
Win10 is pretty much less than Win8 and takes away a lot of user control present in older versions of Windows and manages to still run slower. I know what their marketing branch says and what I'm using is distinctly different. The marketing team has been busted a couple times writing checks with the mouths their asses can't cash. Rolled all the way back to Vista and all my sh!t works again and have been getting pretty damn strong setting up my FreeBSD with XFCE and a slew of development and media software also use LinuxMint; Windows has become a third citizen on my hardware.

Guess I kinda seen this coming, but always favored unix-like systems since the late 70's so it might be bias however the hardware is my sh!t and it's also my choices that will dictate.
Post 27 May 2016, 21:06
revolution

revolution
Never10: "Easily Control Automatic and Unwanted Windows 7 & 8.1 Upgrading to Windows 10"

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Things MS don't want you to do, I guess.

ETA: Of course it won't stop the monitoring and tracking that have been back-ported to 7 and 8. So it still pays to completely disable updates and keep your privacy.
Post 29 May 2016, 02:05
revolution

revolution
Good job MS. I really really trust you to know better than me about what I should and shouldn't have on my, oops I mean your computer.
The Microsoft Services Agreement also gives the software empire permission to not only install whatever software it chooses on your computer, but also to delete whatever software it chooses from your computer. Microsoft announced its Windows 10 November update with great fanfare. What the company did not tell users was that the update would give Microsoft the ability to reach into their computers and remove software that the company deemed either unstable (based on its own criteria) or pirated (based on its own assumptions). Just whose computer is it, anyway?
Perhaps it is a US thing? I don't know what it is actually. But I get the feeling that all the companies nowadays are trying extra hard to "help me be secure" at the cost of removing my choices, and telling me not to worry my little brain with these complicated computer thingies, and that I should just trust them with all of the content of my systems.

It's okay, you can trust us, we're from the Internet. What could possibly go wrong? Razz
Post 06 Jun 2016, 14:58
Walter

Walter
Post 11 Jun 2016, 14:45
revolution

revolution
So instead of giving you the result you wanted, MS calc will instead put roadblocks in your work flow and ask you annoying questions. English translation: it is basically asking the user to rate the calc app in the store.

This breaks any keyboard macros that one might be using because the appearance of the extra unexpected dialog box can't be predicted ahead of time.

So what is next?
"Would you like to share your calculations as a twitter stream?"
"Please like this calculation on facebook."
"Please take a moment to watch this ad and then we'll let you see the result."
"Would you like to save all your calculations in your OneDrive account?"

Description: Would you like to rate this in the store?
Filesize: 15.44 KB
Viewed: 5632 Time(s)

Win10Calc.png

Last edited by revolution on 13 Jun 2016, 04:03; edited 1 time in total
Post 12 Jun 2016, 00:25
revolution

revolution
In a truly amazing fuckup MS have broken search.

Windows 10 Search does not index .exe files

And to add insult to injury there is even more fuckeduppedness to be found in the comments:
Quote:
Okay, so I tried to create shortcuts to all my apps and tools manually. That worked fine for the majority of my tools. Interestingly, tools where the executable starts with the lettter "k" are completely ignored!

And it's consistent: All manually created shortcuts show up in "All apps" in the startmenu. Except for - you guessed it - shortcuts to executables starting with "k". What the **** is Microsoft doing there?

It's not possible to trick it by changing the shortcut's name. You have to change the name of the executable. Change it to any starting letter but "k" and it will immediately show up in search.

It seems like the search algorithm is either racist, completely ignorant or written by the intern.

Edit: It's really just shortcuts directly pointing to "k"-executables. Insert a redirect (e.g. via batch) and name it whatever you want and it works fine.

So right now the [sarcasm]very user-friendly and intuitive[/sarcasm] way of adding a shortcut to the startmenu looks like the following:

1. Search for the .exe of your favorite program/app/tool. Realize it can't be found.

2. Locate the .exe and right-click "add to startmenu". Realize it still can't be found even though it shows up on the very first page next to the live tiles.

3. Try to create a shortcut in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". Get blocked by UAC and instead create shortcut on Desktop. Move the shortcut to the destination intended in the first place. Realize it still doesn't show up in startmenu and can't be found.

4. Create a folder like "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\YourFolder". Get excited that Microsoft's permission system allows you to do so without having to change all permissions. Move your previously created shortcuts to that folder. Search for an app linked there. Try not to wet yourself through pure joy because suddenly you find your executables.

5. Bummer. Realize that only certain (Microsoft-condoned?) shortcuts can be found. Some just are ignored and don't even bother showing up in All apps.

6. Create a batch file for every unfound executable and a shortcut to this batch as described above.

7. Search for your desired executable. Believe your eyes when it pops up even as the first entry in start menu search. Lie down. Try not to cry. Cry a lot.

Tears of pure, unadulterated joy you finally have achieved what once could be done with a single click.
Post 12 Jun 2016, 23:45
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Winmalware 10,

soon they will provide APIs to basically allow others to connect into your pc, sending ads, provide search suggestions and etc

time to really consider, changing os and a goodbye kiss to Winmalware 10.
Post 13 Jun 2016, 16:43
YONG

YONG
sleepsleep wrote:
time to really consider, changing os and a goodbye kiss to Winmalware 10.
I switched from Windows 10 to ChromeOS + Linux last month. But I was teased by one of the forum members for switching from one spying OS to another, which makes me feel frustrated. Mad

So, what OS should I use? Rolling Eyes
Post 14 Jun 2016, 02:15
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
hi, YONG,

am using porteus linux daily for months, i like it so far,

i intended to run openbsd too in my home, and building customize linux os based on those tiny embedded hardware.

https://buildroot.org
http://www.uclinux.org/

i prefer memory based os concept
Post 14 Jun 2016, 03:12
YONG

YONG
sleepsleep, thanks for your info.

In fact, I tried using various distros of Linux quite a few years ago. But driver issues always got in my way -- it was hard to find a distro that fully worked on a new laptop. In the end, I gave up and switched to Windows.

With the emergence of budget Chromebooks, the situation has changed a lot. With Crouton, it is really easy to set up a fully working distro of Linux that is almost free of any driver issues. That's why I switched from Windows to ChromeOS + Linux. Performance-wise, everything is working seamlessly.

Wink
Post 14 Jun 2016, 09:42
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
hi YONG,

glad you sharing me with Crouton,
more choices for revolution to free from winmalware 10,
too bad, chromebook isn't available in my country market, i could only import it if i really need one, which is not cheap plus shipping and custom clearance.

i felt, it is so obvious, winmalware 10 is a spyware operating at ring 0, managing + spying ring 3.

cloud concept, service as rental, ai helper, big data, cpu, gpu processing farm, cloud rendering farm, cache farm, etc
pushing all into centralized mainframe controlled by big companies,

the obvious block seems to be, most pc, laptop nowadays are very much powerful to complete common tasks,

the next step would be internet independence,
per user tax for network packets that send or receive data to a country,
special certificate act like passport to visit a particular country websites,
Post 15 Jun 2016, 14:21
YONG

YONG
sleepsleep wrote:
too bad, chromebook isn't available in my country market, i could only import it if i really need one, which is not cheap plus shipping and custom clearance.
Take a look at this link:

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Chromebook-CB35-C3300-Backlit-Keyboard/dp/B015806LMM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1466040895&sr=1-1&keywords=toshiba+chromebook&refinements=p_n_shipping_option-bin%3A3242350011

Specs:
. Intel Celeron 3215U 1.7 GHz Processor
. 13.3-Inch Full HD IPS Display
. 4 GB RAM / 16 GB Solid-State Drive
. LED-Backlit Keyboard

Most importantly, this item ships to Malaysia.

The total cost is less than US$350, which covers everything.

Any more questions?

Wink
Post 16 Jun 2016, 01:41
revolution

revolution
But the 16GB SSD is ridiculously small. That is definitely designed for the user to be trusting all their files and documents to someone-else's-computer (aka the "cloud"). There is more to the equation than simple upfront monetary costs.

Edit: Also if the battery and/or the SDD is not changeable then it is a limited life product that becomes useless after a few years.
Post 16 Jun 2016, 01:46
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
But the 16GB SSD is ridiculously small.
After installing a distro of Linux, I still have over 6GB of storage space left, which is good enough for "normal" use. Just plug in a 64GB USB 3.0 flash drive and keep your files there.

BTW, you should update your location to "Kepler-1647b":

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160613144341.htm

Yeah, YONG is so sharp!

Wink
Post 16 Jun 2016, 01:55
revolution

revolution
YONG wrote:
BTW, you should update your location to "Kepler-1647b"
There is the small problem of me wanting to breathe air. If I move to that planet I might not be able to post here anymore due to the occurrence of a thing called asphyxiation.
YONG wrote:
Yeah, YONG is so sharp!
Idea
Post 16 Jun 2016, 02:00
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
If I move to that planet I might not be able to post here anymore due to ....
Do you realistically think that you could move to Kepler-62f, which is about 1200 light-years from Earth? Rolling Eyes

There is a fine line between dream and fantasy. Grow up, son/daughter.

Wink

EDIT: Forgot that revolution is gender-neutral. Fixed.

Last edited by YONG on 16 Jun 2016, 04:35; edited 1 time in total
Post 16 Jun 2016, 02:49
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
Edit: Also if the battery and/or the SDD is not changeable ...
Yes, at least for the model that I am using:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLA-yELRlL0

revolution wrote:
... then it is a limited life product that becomes useless after a few years.
Chromebooks are budget laptops. A 2-to-3-year life span is good enough for most users. Technological advances would render your old hardware obsolete anyway.

Wink
Post 16 Jun 2016, 03:02

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: