flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Vortex mathematics, Torus

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Matrix

Matrix
Post 04 Jan 2015, 01:37
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Please save us the effort of reading so many things and give a brief description of what it is all about and why you want opinions on it.
Post 04 Jan 2015, 01:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Matrix

Matrix
revolution wrote:
Please save us the effort of reading so many things and give a brief description of what it is all about and why you want opinions on it.

Because i value your input Wink

Also this could be a really useful discussion, and everybody could benefit from it.
A source of logical, scientific, mathematical, geometric annd other ideas,
Post 04 Jan 2015, 05:06
tthsqe

tthsqe
i can save you some effort and say that first link looks like woo woo.
Post 04 Jan 2015, 05:07
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Without visiting all those links and reading all the woo I suspect it related to this:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/03/04/vortex_motion_viral_video_showing_sun_s_motion_through_galaxy_is_wrong.html

I don't want to give any opinion on time wasting woo except to say that it is not worth the effort of reading any of it unless it is particularly funny in some way.
Post 04 Jan 2015, 05:47
Matrix

Matrix
revolution wrote:
Without visiting all those links and reading all the woo I suspect it related to this:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/03/04/vortex_motion_viral_video_showing_sun_s_motion_through_galaxy_is_wrong.html

I don't want to give any opinion on time wasting woo except to say that it is not worth the effort of reading any of it unless it is particularly funny in some way.

I suggest you pick links at random order Wink

It is related, but everything is related.

This is a fractal world.
Post 04 Jan 2015, 06:27
Matrix

Matrix
Post 04 Jan 2015, 20:41
Tyler

Tyler
I read (sorta) recently that vortexes are the phenomenon that give rise to the whistle of a teapot. It was in the news because, until then, it was unknown what causes the whistle. I thought that was interesting -- something so simple and common going un-understood for such a long time.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/25/bet-you-never-knew-a-teapot-had-a-physics-mystery-well-its-just-been-solved/
Post 04 Jan 2015, 21:55
Tyler

Tyler
If you're interested in vortexes, you should look into doing fluid simulations. (And for the sake of all that is good, don't do it in assembly. That would be the ultimate exercise in masochism.) Something like this: http://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/fluids/

The default setting at that link produces vortexes. When you see it start oscillating with orange and blue circles flowing to the right, those circles are vortexes.

The reason you are limited to simulations is that the math behind fluid sims isn't even known to have a continuous, non-asymptotic solution in all cases. (And in general, nonhomogeneous/nonlinear partial differential equations aren't something you just jump into without a ton of background info. They don't even have a class on PDEs at my Uni., though it is pretty small.)

The PDE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navier%E2%80%93Stokes_equations

The method used in the app above is a lot easier. The author links to a lab assignment describing it's implementation in Java. You can implement it in whatever (obviously) if you're interested. Due to it's (spatial) data locality, it works really well with parallelization. (Each thread/process/node can have it's own chunk of the grid and the only sharing you have to do is the edges between chunks.)
Post 04 Jan 2015, 21:59

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: