flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > vpro, intel anti theft, 3G connectivity in every intel CPU?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
from here,
http://jimstonefreelance.com/corevpro.html

Quote:

Real world use for Core vPro processors will involve the following:
Accessing any PC ANYWHERE, no matter what operating system is installed, even if it is physically disconnected from the internet. You see, Core vPro processors work in conjunction with Intel's new Anti Theft 3.0, which put 3g connectivity into every Intel CPU after the Sandy Bridge version of the I3/5/7 processors. Users do not get to know about that 3g connection, but it IS there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_vPro
Quote:
Intel vPro technology is an umbrella marketing term used by Intel for a large collection of computer hardware technologies, including Hyperthreading, Turbo Boost 2.0, VT-x, Trusted Execution Technology, and Intel Active Management Technology (AMT).[1] When the vPro brand was launched (circa 2007), it was identified primarily with AMT,[2][3] thus some journalists still consider AMT to be the essence of vPro.

Quote:
Security and privacy concerns

According to Intel, it is possible to disable AMT through the BIOS settings, however, there is apparently no way for most users to detect outside access to their PC via the vPro hardware-based technology.[25] Moreover, Sandy Bridge and most likely future chips will have, "...the ability to remotely kill and restore a lost or stolen PC via 3G."[26]

check if your laptop or desktop intel processor support intel AT (anti-theft) technology,

damn intel.

http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced?s=t&FamilyText=4th%20Generation%20Intel%C2%AE%20Core%E2%84%A2%20i5%20Processors
Post 23 Nov 2014, 20:38
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous
[ Post removed by author. ]

Last edited by HaHaAnonymous on 28 Feb 2015, 18:01; edited 1 time in total
Post 27 Nov 2014, 00:47
l_inc

l_inc
First of all, neither AMT nor anti-theft (which is technically a part of AMT) has anything to do with the CPUs. It was originally in your north bridge, but since some parts of it were merged into the PCH the AMT hardware basis (manageability engine) was moved to the south bridge. The mentionings of anti-theft as a part of CPU specification seem to be nothing more than marketing. 3G chips in a CPU is either a typical journalist misquote or a furphy for conspiracy theorists. Anti-theft via 3G is done with a separate 3G/GPS chip connected to the motherboard.

Secondly, the only thing that is possible to disable in the BIOS is the official web-interface of the AMT. The firmware inside your chipset continues to run, unless you completely disconnect your motherboard from power supply (including removing the laptop battery). The earlier versions needed the first dimm slot to be occupied for that, later at least one occupied slot was needed, and current versions of AMT perfectly work without any external RAM and (obviously) without the main CPU: just connect your AMT capable Intel motherboard to a power supply and you have a fully featured low power web-server (and more) running in it.

Post 27 Nov 2014, 02:37
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
HaHaAnonymous wrote:

Available in $$$$$ processors only...

available in almost i3, i5, i7,
both i3 and i5 are almost common to all laptop buyers.

l_inc wrote:

The mentionings of anti-theft as a part of CPU specification seem to be nothing more than marketing.

Anti-theft via 3G is done with a separate 3G/GPS chip connected to the motherboard.

thanks for clarification.

l_inc wrote:

current versions of AMT perfectly work without any external RAM and (obviously) without the main CPU: just connect your AMT capable Intel motherboard to a power supply and you have a fully featured low power web-server (and more) running in it.

any method to test this?
Post 27 Nov 2014, 09:52
l_inc

l_inc
sleepsleep
Quote:
any method to test this?

Sure. Just buy a modern mainboard with an AMT capable Intel chipset (such as this one), plug in a power supply (no RAM, no CPU needed) and connect the board with an Ethernet cable to a local network with a DHCP server. Then access it over HTTP on port 16992 or over HTTPS on port 16993. The AMT capability is mainly about what kind of firmware Intel produces for that board, cause nearly every mid class laptop with Intel chipsets has the manageability engine, but it often executes only a limited version of firmware that does not provide the official web-interface.

If you buy an older board with Q35 chipset (such as this one), you'll even be able to dump the AMT runtime memory and to inject your own code there. The Q35 however needs an external RAM plugged into the DIMM0 slot.

Post 27 Nov 2014, 18:43
typedef

typedef
You could do your computing inside a Faraday caged office.

Something like this:

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/Sergeis-Faraday-Cage-The-Darkest-Hour-concept-art.jpg
Post 28 Nov 2014, 11:26
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
Post 04 Apr 2016, 18:24
Furs

Furs
Well I just became twice as paranoid as before...

Any best tips against this kind of thing? The site you linked clearly shows both Intel and AMD using it. And not using either of them is not an option, excluding a Faraday Cage is there anything that can be done at all?

I bet it was the government who coerced them into it, so they could spy on other nations since they all use Intel/AMD CPUs. I think other governments will do something about it but I don't know if it will be any good for us.
Post 06 Apr 2016, 10:25
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
hope the private keys leaks out and hackers could hijack any intel me laptops, desktops smartphones, wearable and servers,

probably the best way to end this once and forever.
Post 06 Apr 2016, 12:46
Coty

Coty
I am okay with this. I gave up caring about a year ago. The internet is full of paranoia, and only made me want to live in a cave with a banjo and a moonshine still. Then I snapped and decided that everything is okay.

Post 19 Apr 2016, 18:33
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: