flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Fresh IDE web site redesign. Do you like it?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
JohnFound

JohnFound
I decided to redesign the Fresh IDE site. Temporary, I uploaded the work version on: http://fresh.asm32.info

Notice, this is not Fresh IDE web site, this is only a scratch version. All password protections are removed and the articles are freely editable.

Please, evaluate the design of the site. Do you like it? Or not? How about usability? What have to be done? What can be removed?

Every opinion is welcome!

Regards.

[EDIT] The tests has been finished. The temporary site was deleted and the main Fresh IDE site http://fresh.flatassembler.net has been updated with the new design. [/EDIT]

Last edited by JohnFound on 19 Nov 2014, 19:50; edited 1 time in total
Post 15 Nov 2014, 10:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Why is every page covered by a blank white space?

Description: I have no idea what I am supposed to do. Everything is hiding in the background.
Filesize: 72.37 KB
Viewed: 4461 Time(s)

FreshUnusable.png

Post 15 Nov 2014, 10:34
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JohnFound

JohnFound
What browser?
Post 15 Nov 2014, 10:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
FF 3.6, the one and only truly stable browser. With JS off also.
Post 15 Nov 2014, 10:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JohnFound

JohnFound
Well, I am not sure I will be able to make it to work with FF 3.6. Will try to provide some fall back, but...
Post 15 Nov 2014, 10:45
revolution

revolution
Okay. But if you are going to blame my browser then you've already lost. 99% of all the sites out there get it right.
Post 15 Nov 2014, 10:48
JohnFound

JohnFound
@revolution - check it again, please. Is it better?
Post 15 Nov 2014, 10:54
revolution

revolution
Readable now. I see you've deleted the menu, so how to navigate?

Description: Not navigable.
Filesize: 110.9 KB
Viewed: 4453 Time(s)

FreshReadable.png

Post 15 Nov 2014, 10:58
JohnFound

JohnFound
revolution wrote:
Readable now. I see you've deleted the menu, so how to navigate?

The menu is where it is supposed to be. Hover on the perforation on the left edge of the screen. It should work in FF 2.0 and above. Isn't it?

Post 15 Nov 2014, 11:05
revolution

revolution
Oh, yeah it is there. But it was not obvious that I was supposed to point my mouse there. I think you need something to show there is a hidden menu there.

Or a better solution IMO is not to waste all that screen space to the left and right and instead have the menu showing always and the content to the right. Thus using the entire screen that I paid for.

I hate hidden stuff that I am supposed to use a mouse to expose. It is very irritating.[/rant]
Post 15 Nov 2014, 11:08
JohnFound

JohnFound
Hm, there is no so big space on the screenshots above. At least, the menu will not fit there.
Post 15 Nov 2014, 11:13
revolution

revolution
The 'I' of 'Introduction' has about 100px to the left that is wasted. And the same on the right side. All those fancy graphics are wasted space IMO because they don't add anything to the content, but they do use up space that hides the navigation.
Post 15 Nov 2014, 11:22
MHajduk

MHajduk
In my opinion the new layout is neat and perfectly readable. I like the idea with "perforated paper" background.

The menu can be shown after clicking the button / rectangle labelled "Menu" for example, so the issue with "hidden menu only for smart ones" would be solved.
Post 15 Nov 2014, 12:59
MHajduk

MHajduk
Another thing. I've just tested quoting following MiniMagAsm formatting rules of course. Seems that it doesn't work as expected in comments on the site.

BTW, in the article where you have presented MiniMagAsm formatting rules I can see the quoting example where the quoted pieces of text are framed, OK, but the author's name isn't shown. Is it intended or is it an issue of MiniMagAsm?

Post 15 Nov 2014, 13:51
Enko

Enko
Helo JohnFound, I have found the menu list to be a little not intuitive. Oh yes its really cool concept I have to admit. The idea is really nice. But lately website has been based on wordpress and such, and they have kind of a standart. Hidden menus I think had gone unused. If I where really interested I would have browsed and found it. But if I am looking for something particular on google, stumble with your website, even if you have the thing I am looking for... As the menu is hidden and I am stressed out looking for the thing, I might not give you to much time to browse. Which leads to not looking for the real content.

The website has a really good output design, easy to read. The font size is spot on.

I think something like a water mark on the border paper to the left saying "menu menu menu menu menu" should do the trick.

I am not sure thouhg.

Other idea, is make a 24-32px div in height after the title befor the Introduction.
Like a long bar that says MENU. When you press that, the menu "animation" happens. This way you loose only 24px on the height of the page. Not bad.

Great Design.

Oh, I just tested on mobile safari browser and menu doesnt work. I am not a website debuger but I think you are using onHover event. If the screen is touchable the Hover never hapens but a onClick so the menu is never shown.
Post 15 Nov 2014, 14:33
JohnFound

JohnFound
@MHajduk: The block quotes, was simply forgotten from the CSS. Fixed now.

@Enko: I will put some arrow to point to the menu. Only have to draw one (or to download from Internet).

@Revolution: For your pleasure, I added an alternative style: "Revolution" that reveals all secrets and uses bigger part of your screen. Although I am not very sure it will be really useful. Choose it from "View|Page style|Revolution"; Although using "StyleSheet Chooser Plus" add-on on FF 3.6 will make your live much easier.
Post 15 Nov 2014, 14:56
Enko

Enko
More than an arrow, I was meaning something like this

on hoover or click

Post 15 Nov 2014, 15:14
revolution

revolution
JohnFound wrote:
@Revolution: For your pleasure, I added an alternative style: "Revolution" that reveals all secrets and uses bigger part of your screen. Although I am not very sure it will be really useful. Choose it from "View|Page style|Revolution"; Although using "StyleSheet Chooser Plus" add-on on FF 3.6 will make your live much easier.
It works as described and is much better that way IMO. I felt like a three year old playing some game of hide and seek. Is the menu here? Is it there? Maybe under this? Behind that? Where-oh-where is the menu? Hehe.

PS: You should have "salted" your email address for the avatar thing. Some people are imitating you there.

BTW: Pretty graphics only stay pretty on the first visit or two, after that they become blind spots and users don't see them. The less distractions the better I say. Leave more space for the good stuff like content and information.
Post 15 Nov 2014, 15:15
JohnFound

JohnFound
revolution wrote:
PS: You should have "salted" your email address for the avatar thing. Some people are imitating you there.

It is not a big problem actually. As I already said, this is the scratch-pad hosting for evaluation purposes and these people IMHO behave this way only because of this reason.

For example, on the main Fresh site, such behavior is never observed. (And I have very low spam level on this e-mail, so the general purpose bots are not able to parse it).

Of course, such simple tricks are not able to stop someone with bad intentions, specially aimed against the Fresh IDE site, but I doubt there are such people around.

Of course, It will be totally different game, if thousands of web sites use MiniMagAsm as a site engine. But it is not likely to happen in the near future. Laughing

Post 15 Nov 2014, 15:59
MHajduk

MHajduk
When you use the style created for revolution the graphics in the "Introduction" page becomes something like this (the set of separate image belts):

Post 15 Nov 2014, 20:50

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: