flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > What you think about the automatic updated software?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
JohnFound

JohnFound
I am a little bit confused about my attitude on the automatically updated software. Is it good? Is it evil?

For example (but not only), should I provide auto updates of Fresh IDE? Or just notifications? Or nothing?

What is your opinion about auto updated software? How to make it to behave the proper way?

Post 19 Oct 2014, 14:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
Matrix

Matrix
A code must be written once. If the controller keys and ip addresses must be updated it is not good backdoor.
Post 19 Oct 2014, 14:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bargest

Bargest
I think software should not update itself, but notifications on start can be useful (only once for each version).
Post 19 Oct 2014, 14:58
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Auto updates are evil IMO.

Throwing unexpected changes to the user is a bad thing IMO.

Always let the user decide when and where to update. Not everything needs updates. I still have some old programs that would be considered well and truly "out of date" but they still work and they don't crash and the don't hog mega resources trying to be "clever" and continually update themselves with changes I don't want or need.

Working example: I still use FF3 and WinXPSP2. And neither needs to be reboot every five minutes to clear the memory leaks or to get the latest flavour of the month UI changes with ever more clicks required to access anything of use.
Post 19 Oct 2014, 15:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TmX

TmX
I prefer manual update: the software notifies me that latest updates are available and let me choose which one to install.

That said, the only softwares I use on which auto update is enabled are web browsers (better HTML5 support). Smile
Post 19 Oct 2014, 16:23
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
me too prefer update manually done,

but depend on target user, if they are those who got problems with using windows, little to zero awareness about program security, see no issue with lots of toolbar on top of their browser,

then please push auto update to them,

they are zero awareness human who don't bother anything else, they just want to consume without understanding,
Post 21 Oct 2014, 14:38
Coty

Coty
I personally like auto-update, Just add a readme that opens up when it's updated that describes changes, but also allow it to be disabled, or even better opt-in instead of opt-out maybe even with a prompt on first start-up.

In this day and age everything updates automatically, I never even know when my chromebook updates, I just notice new features from time to time, my phone auto-updates, my apps auto-update, heck even my wii auto updates. It just makes my computer work. and I don't ever have to do anything... That being said my computer with linux only updates when I manually do it... via the terminal, and that's fine with me to, if it's working I have no reason to change anything, when there is a problem, I fix it.

Post 21 Oct 2014, 19:29
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous
[ Post removed by author. ]
Post 04 Nov 2014, 01:08

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: