flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > How to do a DOS game? Are they more easy than win32 games?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
jhonny6721

jhonny6721
Hallo, I am just looking for a interesting thing to do in my free time. Somebody knows how can I make a DOS game??? Is a DOS game more easy to make and understand than a Win32-based game???

I have looked in Google, I have found a small amount of tutorials. But they can't answer my another question: Is a DOS game more easy to write and understand than a Win32-based game??? I am a beginner in the world of game programming.

I am just looking for answers because I don't know how to start: If start in a 16 bits environment (to learn as the old way), or start with a 2D library in 32 bits. I have looked for 2D Libraries in Win32, but they are complex and hard to understand for a beginner. Can I make more easy my job if I program in DOS??

Can somebody give a good tutorial??? Thanks for your help

Post 11 Sep 2014, 01:56
ACP

ACP
Start with Windows or Linux or mobile devices - DOS is a deadend especially if you consider your career in the future in game industry. If you are willing to learn something new you can also check Raspberry Pi forums - they have some subforums dedicated to gfx programming - but take in account that RPi is ARM not x86 based. However RPi might be a good starting point and OpenGL knowledge you can gain quite easily on Rpi can be later applied to other platforms.

If you want to stay with DOS you probably need to check HX and understand what DOS extender is.
Post 11 Sep 2014, 07:30
jhonny6721

jhonny6721
Thanks for your help, ACP. I thought that DOS could be more easy, but if you say that Windows or Linux is better, I keep me away of DOS. I want to have a professional future in Game programming.

Post 11 Sep 2014, 23:11
ACP

ACP
jhonny6721 wrote:
Thanks for your help, ACP. I thought that DOS could be more easy, but if you say that Windows or Linux is better, I keep me away of DOS. I want to have a professional future in Game programming.

You're welcome. Invest your time in modern technologies. DOS is a great environment for a hobbyist but there no commercially grade games being developed for it for a number of years. There is no point to learn about memory limitation due to real mode segmentation in the era of x64 and long mode for example,
Post 12 Sep 2014, 07:18
jhonny6721

jhonny6721
Okey. ACP, do you have experience in the game development??? I am looking for a good tips for a beginner. They say basicly: Draw an idea, use some libraries... But they are very general.

ACP, if you have experience in the game industry, Can you tell me how to start properly in that world?? I prefer receive help from a person with a lot of experience. I believe that hear a people with experience is better than read a webpage on the internet.

Do you have games made by you?? Can you give a small game??? Thanks for your help.

Post 12 Sep 2014, 16:05
ACP

ACP
Nope, I am not a game dev. Use google and try to do something yourself before asking everyone who is willing to point you in right direction to do everything for you. Lear something before you will approach experience programmer so you will be able to truly benefit from his knowledge and experience and ask proper questions. Unless you have something FASM/DOS related to ask I guess this should be EOT.
Post 12 Sep 2014, 18:51

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: