flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Is there something like a "Free PC"?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
axlucas

axlucas
What I mean is...
Free software makes it possible for us to be independent from the restrictions of proprietary applications and OSs, but we are still experiencing problems because the popular hardware for which free OSs (such as GNU/Linux) is designed in completely proprietary both physically and in design. We have difficulties like having to deal with the BIOS -> UEFI switch, having to reverse engineer drivers to be able to handle hardware because the manufacturers refuse to pass on the specs, etc. You go and buy a laptop and you are charged a MS license even if you don't want to use a MS product. Anyway...

Obviously, "free hardware" is a complicated thing because of the cost of material and manufacture, but at least as far as design and freedom to use are taken into account, does there exist any running project to develop a "free computer" that everybody can freely manufacture, sell at any price and use without restrictions, being all its specs available to every software developer? Or... is there anything at least slightly similar to what I'm suggesting?

Maybe there's a very popular thing about this I don't know about, so in that case, forgive my ignorance. I'm sure tons of people have considered this idea already.
Post 30 Jul 2014, 23:17
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
If you are happy with just basic functionality then it is possible make your own PC from off-the-shelf components. It would still require a lot of expertise in board design and driver code writing to achieve it. And the result would be very low spec. Especially the video spec would be severely reduced because things like GPU chips are not feasible to make for low volumes. So you are left with something like an FPGA to drive the video.

But I think in all practicality a better approach is to get the large manufacturers to release full specs. And naturally in today's environment of DRM and trade secrets the manufacturers are not interested to give out details.
Post 30 Jul 2014, 23:43
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
axlucas

axlucas
I agree with you, Revolution, that it'd be better for the big ones to release the full specs, but there's a war being waged. DRMs as well as patents have to do with intellectual property, which is the reason why so many people keep supporting them despite the huge damage the cause, slowing down technology development in the world, and science in general. But the truth is that the benefit to small intellectual developers is so tiny and the profit for big companies, so big, that individuals would better give up their right to get their intellectual property protected, as long as big ones are forced to do the same, and we would have a happier world.

Now, back to the sad true of today's issues with DRM, how basic would this functionality be? Can I expect to achieve anything similar to an XT with a Hercules standard graphic resolution or is it too much asking? Ha, ha Very Happy Can you point me some specific project you know of regarding this topic? Thanks, mate
Post 31 Jul 2014, 10:17
gens

gens
axlucas wrote:
does there exist any running project to develop a "free computer" that everybody can freely manufacture, sell at any price and use without restrictions, being all its specs available to every software developer? Or... is there anything at least slightly similar to what I'm suggesting?

sure, kinda
http://opencores.org/projects

a RISC, a SPARC and i see an ARM there
SPARC is from the old one that SUN let loose
Post 31 Jul 2014, 10:41
badc0de02

badc0de02
the hardware cant be free
Post 02 Aug 2014, 13:07
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous
[ Post removed by author. ]

Last edited by HaHaAnonymous on 28 Feb 2015, 18:04; edited 1 time in total
Post 02 Aug 2014, 13:30
TmX

TmX
badc0de02 wrote:
the hardware cant be free

ideally, free softwares would run on free hardwares.
but we live on un-ideal world, anyway

Wink
Post 02 Aug 2014, 17:08
badc0de02

badc0de02
why go free our money system would not work then -.-
i would have money for my software

so many hippies here

its like you not eating food what you gave money out eat grass its better the poor flesh can the people eat wich dont want eat grass

(this post makes hippies to think)
Post 02 Aug 2014, 18:51
badc0de02

badc0de02
or are there any homeless people around?
Post 02 Aug 2014, 18:59
axlucas

axlucas
I think "the system" we live under already doesn't work. It doesn't work because money does not tend to flow in a balanced way, but instead, accumulates easily. Money attracts more money.
The free software concept eventually had to appear precisely because of this. Independent programmers are finding it harder and harder to earn their living, because the power to sell accumulates on companies who already have that power. In the end, we will all have to be employees of a single development firm if we want to earn money out of programming. So, since we're not going to earn any money anyway, why charge for our work? Better ensure it's free and that way, we can do at least some minimal effect against the voracity of the tycoons. Right?
Well, this is why I would like to support free hardware, even if it weren't as powerful. I hate buying a laptop and having to pay Microsoft a license. Why?! And I hate buying a computer and not being told how to program it. It's mine. I have the right to know. I also don't like hidden mechanisms operating in the background to control what I do with MY computer. So maybe, independent hardware designers would like to release some of their work for free, full specs included... since the only way they can make money out of it is selling it through the tycoons.
Is it too crazy to stand on a green tile in a black floor? I don't know. I just know I don't want to go for the other option Razz
Post 04 Aug 2014, 07:39
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
agree with you, axlucas,
money attracts more money, rich become richer, poor become poorer,

all these money gave a person more power to create changes in a forceful way,

so when changes don't happen because of realization, it changes outside skin only, the core remain roughly the same,
Post 04 Aug 2014, 12:17
badc0de02

badc0de02
then change something dont talk

bla bla bla
Post 05 Aug 2014, 17:40
questlima

questlima
this days PCs are dirt cheep except mac, i don't want a free PC but a free mac will do Laughing

Post 30 Aug 2014, 05:21
badc0de02

badc0de02
a Mac is like a normally pc with OSX software on it
so just buy a normal laptop for 399€
and install OSX DONE
and i think its even faster as a normal mac
Post 30 Aug 2014, 10:27
Coty

Coty
^ That's a yes and no, macs are normally well built and run very smooth due to the fact the hardware and software were designed to run with each other...

Unlike PCs were you have windows designed to run on general hardware with modules added to make it run on extended hardware. OSX and MAC are intended to run from the ground up. You can turn almost any PC into a hackintosh, but very rarely does it work as flawlessly and smoothly as it does on the real thing, unless you build a PC that was intended to run hackintosh based off of a mac pro's hardware scheme.

With that said, I'll never buy another mac, I hate OSX it's so dated and not very power user friendly. I liked them back in the PowerPC days though...
Post 30 Aug 2014, 10:36
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
badc0de02

badc0de02
a tree does have more performance as a mac
Post 30 Aug 2014, 13:05
KevinN

KevinN
gotta love OSX
Post 30 Aug 2014, 14:56
questlima

questlima
badc0de02 wrote:
a Mac is like a normally pc with OSX software on it
so just buy a normal laptop for 399€
and install OSX DONE
and i think its even faster as a normal mac

i like you Laughing talking about hackintosh i have a hackintosh but its not real
mac so i want a FREE real mac Laughing

Post 30 Aug 2014, 19:03
questlima

questlima
no doubt mac os x is so fucking stable YES!! but not for hard core gamers YES i admit i am a hard core gamer Laughing that's why i was bitching about 3D games build with pure ASM Laughing i am a die hard Game Engine fan too like Unreal Engine best out there Laughing

Post 30 Aug 2014, 19:12
questlima

questlima
Coty wrote:
^ That's a yes and no, macs are normally well built and run very smooth due to the fact the hardware and software were designed to run with each other...

Unlike PCs were you have windows designed to run on general hardware with modules added to make it run on extended hardware. OSX and MAC are intended to run from the ground up. You can turn almost any PC into a hackintosh, but very rarely does it work as flawlessly and smoothly as it does on the real thing, unless you build a PC that was intended to run hackintosh based off of a mac pro's hardware scheme.

With that said, I'll never buy another mac, I hate OSX it's so dated and not very power user friendly. I liked them back in the PowerPC days though...

if some one wants to build a hackintosh the main thing is the mobo,
gigabyte mobo and nvidia gpu hardware goes very well with hackintosh

Post 30 Aug 2014, 19:20

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: