flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > How can I build a minimum GNU/Linux?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
axlucas

axlucas
Guys. I would like to set up a Linux as minimum as possible so that some programs can be run. I don't know if the kernel and the shell are enough for it to run and to let some simple applications work. What I want to make sure is that it actually boots and that I can expect at least a decent amount of simple console applications for GNU/Linux to be able to execute. My doubts are:

* What packages (beside kernel and shell) do you think are really essential, if any, and why?
* How should I set up GRUB, for example, so that it does load the kernel?
* If you know a site that can give me very detailed information on this, particularly, what would it be?

If I can run the shell, it's basic system commands and fasm, I would already be very happy Smile
Post 10 May 2014, 00:42
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Post 10 May 2014, 01:47
axlucas

axlucas
Hey, Sleepsleep! Thank you!
These really do look very good. I can't deny I'm tempted to start it by myself, just for the joy of doing it, but probably, the best would be to start up from one of these and continue.

What I would like to do is make a different environment grow up on top of a Linux, that is, I want an OS made for myself. I don't quite care if I'm the only one using it, but I do care if I only can run my own programs there, so by building it on top of a small Linux, I can get both some Linux programs and my own system specific applications running under the same environment. That's more or less the idea of the project I have. My taste would be for a simplistic console shell and portable applications (not requiring third party libraries to compile or to run). What about you? What would You like to do?
Post 12 May 2014, 02:26
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
hi there, axlucas,

if you consider the "illusionary time" to self-update, apply patches, (let say got vulnerabilities in one of the libraries you use) to be notified or alarmed by those vulnerabilities, and etc,

maybe it is better (i suppose) to stick to one lightweight distro that got maintainer, and recognized and used by group of people. (be it linux or bsd or plan9 or windows or mikeos or dexos or etc)

once upon a time, (maybe if you search this heap section back) i got an idea but with not enough desire and brain,
i want to fork/refer/received guide/ from oldest available BSD licensed OS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/386BSD
Post 12 May 2014, 06:25
sid123

sid123
Why not compile the linux kernel (grab sources from torvalds/linux on github)? Install binutils, required drivers, and optionally a graphical interface like KDE or GNOME?
Post 12 May 2014, 08:57
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
maybe svga could be set into highest resolution monitor could offer, (without xorg)? idk.

alpine use busybox and uclibc, kinda minimalistic approach,
Post 12 May 2014, 10:45
gens

gens
slackware "a" package set is a good basic system
ftp://ftp.slackware.org.uk/slackware/slackware64-current/slackware64/a/
"ap" set is basic apps, "d" is a set for software development
Post 12 May 2014, 13:16
axlucas

axlucas
@sid123: Building from scratch is a very interesting idea to me, although I know it would make things longer, but I would gain a lot of knowledge. It's also tempting, because I wouldn't like just to make a Linux distro, but actually to build a new OS on top of a basic Linux. The OS can be very simple. I don't even expect to use a GUI.
Post 14 May 2014, 19:40
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
This thread makes me remeber all the whole nights spent with Gentoo...

For the thing you want to do, IMHO the best option is http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
Post 14 May 2014, 21:12
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
sometime i wonder,
what is the learning curve for linux compare to windows,

it seems that to use linux, one need more time and more patience to just feel comfortable, imo,

windows is like point and click, one could get it comfort quite fast compare to linux.

me too, spent lots of time with linux, since the brain already per-occupied with windows filesystem idea, kinda hard to pump in another logic.

well,, the idea to start from BSD386 always in my mind,,
Post 15 May 2014, 03:54
TmX

TmX
sleepsleep wrote:
sometime i wonder,
what is the learning curve for linux compare to windows,

it seems that to use linux, one need more time and more patience to just feel comfortable, imo,

Depends on the Linux distro, I guess.
Well while I was using Ubuntu, I managed things mostly by point & click instead of command line.
And the user experience was pretty similar to Windows.

Of course I will not say the same thing about Gentoo.
Even before installing it, I have to flip through documentation pages first. Smile
Post 15 May 2014, 17:09

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: