flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > 2014-Apr-01 Breaking News - FYI: DEATH .......... (of XP)

Your opinion:
This is great
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
This is a disaster for me
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
I don't care
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 11

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DOS386

DOS386
. .
. .

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

Macro$oft wrote:
On April 8, 2014, support and updates for Windows XP will no longer be available.

WARNING: the "end of support" is an April fool, as well as the complete existence of Windows since 1982...1985 (for only 30 years) is an April fool

Macro$oft wrote:
Don't let your PC go unprotected.

I won't. I protect myself by not following your recommendations and not using your malware. Smile

Title: Hello World program compiles to 100 KB !!!

Post 01 Apr 2014, 08:13
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Indeed most of it is standard scare tactics from companies desperately trying to make new sales. Pretend that the OS will somehow start to rot or go rusty and people will flock to the stores to buy the latest new and shiny. Hehe, I'm still using XPSP2 since forever without any updates for years now. It hasn't gone rusty, mouldy, or rotten yet. Still works perfectly like it was new. Lack of understanding creates fear. For those that choose to live in ignorance I feel no pity.
Post 01 Apr 2014, 09:39
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
hi revolution,,
you mean, you could still using windows update to update into latest post sp3 xp securities patches with xp sp2?
or you use tool like nlite to integrate post sp2 patches into xp sp2?
Post 01 Apr 2014, 17:15
typedef

typedef
Windows XP has died a thousand times and this comes as no surprise.
Post 01 Apr 2014, 19:10
revolution

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
hi revolution,,
you mean, you could still using windows update to update into latest post sp3 xp securities patches with xp sp2?
or you use tool like nlite to integrate post sp2 patches into xp sp2?
I haven't had any updates since SP3 came out. I never installed SP3 and subsequently never installed any more updates.
Post 01 Apr 2014, 23:38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
I have peripherals that do not work with Linux or Kolibrios. My concern is that they will soon no longer function with xpsp2. I am not thinking that the os itself will have trouble, but rather, that it will be hacked, without protection from stalwarts like avg--which thus far, is on the fence about continuing support for xp.

cost of purchase win7 or win8.1 about 100$, price I paid for my blackmarket xp. cost of new laser printer and new scanner which work reliably with Linux, probably about double that, each.

Not an easy solution. Hate to ditch brand new scanner (only four years old), or middle age printer (12 years old), just because xp is about to conk out. Well, I was still using win 98, needed to run my second web cam, purchased in '99, for a couple of years after xp came out.

My newest motherboard, (Haswell) won't even permit installation of xp, and has no IDE controller--can't use my cdrom from '98, anymore.

It is awful to grow old. I hope everyone appreciates the value of remaining youthful. Where did I put those seven 3.1 diskettes? Oh, next to the three DOS disks. I feel them now. ....

Very Happy
Post 02 Apr 2014, 11:18
revolution

revolution
tom tobias: Even if you do get hacked you will always have the option of reinstalling the OS and restoring your files from backup. So I see no reason that the fear of being hacked will prevent you from continuing to use XPSP2.

I hope you haven't bought into the hype that somehow on 9-April-2014your system will suddenly self destruct from being overrun by hackers. If that were true then my current system should have self destructed many years ago after its last update was installed.
Post 02 Apr 2014, 11:25
YONG

YONG
tom tobias wrote:
stalwarts

... is on the fence about ...

... to conk out.

It is awful to grow old.

I hope everyone appreciates the value of remaining youthful.
Every time I read your post, I learn new vocab, new idioms, new slang, and new ways to write. You should post more often! Razz Wink
Post 02 Apr 2014, 12:18
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
... my current system should have self destructed many years ago ...
You were just lucky! Twisted Evil Wink
Post 02 Apr 2014, 12:20
revolution

revolution
I like being lucky. And the more I understand things, the luckier I get.
Post 02 Apr 2014, 12:30
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
there are lots of security patches for XP post sp2,,, i really don't get it how one could feel secure without those critical security patches.
Post 03 Apr 2014, 03:13
revolution

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
there are lots of security patches for XP post sp2,,, i really don't get it how one could feel secure without those critical security patches.
Exactly. Lack of understanding is fuelling your fear. It is okay though, to feel better you can buy the latest Win8 and "feel" secure.

Hehe, I should tell all my customers that their current code is insecure and sell them a new version every year just like MS do. Of course I'd need to update the visual look so that people can "see" the changes. And naturally it wouldn't actually be more secure, it would just have the feeling of being more secure.
Post 03 Apr 2014, 04:24
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
i need some clarify, is that you mean, post sp2 security patches are "not important" and "can be discarded"?
Post 05 Apr 2014, 15:07
revolution

revolution
No. What I am saying is that no matter how many patches and updates you apply your OS is still be at risk. Many people fool themselves into thinking a fully up-to-date OS with an AV running is not susceptible to malware, which of course is not true. The users still need to be vigilant to protect themselves from problems. I remain vigilant and thus remain malware free today.

I see no sense in downgrading to Win8 (or whatever is new and shiny) and install a resource hogging AV and constantly update all the latest patches only to still find myself vulnerable to malware and thus still have to be vigilant. I might as well just stick to what I know and keep my money for other things.
Post 05 Apr 2014, 15:21
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
revolution wrote:

no matter how many patches and updates you apply your OS is still be at risk

i agree.
but in general sense, apply patches and updates are steps to minimize risk, (idk how you guys view this) because bugs could just be introduced inside new patches, then this will turn into egg or chicken first.

but not everybody having the luxury to understand how OS works, so, one of their assumed correct approach are, updates and install AV. (or you got another approach for such user group?)

revolution wrote:

I see no sense in downgrading to Win8

i agree too, my skeptical mind assume maybe more NSA stuffs.

idk actually how you protect your xp sp2 OS.. =) i hope you are willing to share with us,
Post 05 Apr 2014, 15:30
TmX

TmX
revolution wrote:
No. What I am saying is that no matter how many patches and updates you apply your OS is still be at risk.

I see patches and updates not only to fix security problems, but also to fix OS bugs in general.

Of course, like you said, installing the latest OS updates and AV is not enough to protect yourself.
You need to be aware of what programs you are running, what to do with files downloaded from internet, etc.

On the other hand, regarding bugs,I can't imagine who will be able to provide Windows updates other then MS itself,
since Windows is an closed-source OS.
This problem surely doesn't happen in the Linux/BSD world, for example, since
their source code are open and everyone in theory could improve/fix the OS. Smile
Post 05 Apr 2014, 16:02
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
I had a trained monkey vote "I don't care" on my behalf Smile

For those who still use XP, the lack of support from Microsoft is not a problem per se; it's not like Microsoft works very hard at securing/fixing its current versions, let alone antediluvian ones.

The real problem is that, sooner or later (most likely sooner), more companies will drop support for XP like it happened for 2000 a few years back. This mean that, in the near future, many applications will start incorporating backward-incompatible code.
So say goodbye to upgrading to the latest version of your favorite browser or multimedia player. Considering how many new formats appear every now and then, and how the Internet is in an ever-changing state, your system may be useless a year from now.

TmX wrote:
This problem surely doesn't happen in the Linux/BSD world, for example, since
their source code are open and everyone in theory could improve/fix the OS.

^ This, and
2. An upgrade to the latest version usually brings you the latest bug/security fixes and features (something useful, not some more useless UI effects) with no negative impact whatsoever.
3. You don't need to buy the latest machine on the market to run the newest version. A 10-year-old machine will do just fine.
Post 05 Apr 2014, 18:23
badc0de02

badc0de02
ManOfSteel: why you called you like this are you a stalin fan?
Post 05 Apr 2014, 18:45

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: