flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > probably free windows 8.1 with bing from ms.

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2103381/windows-for-free-microsoft-toys-with-service-stuffed-windows-8-1-with-bing.html

Quote:
Microsoft is already rallying Windows for a price war with Google, and now it may be gearing up to call in some fresh troops to help combat the looming threat of Chromebooks and Android, and—perhaps more importantly—transition users of past versions of Windows over to the Live Tile-clad Windows 8.

Quote:
Windows 8.1 with Bing is an experiment designed to test ways to provide a cheap or flat-out free Windows 8.1 upgrade for Windows 7 users, while simultaneously monetizing the various Microsoft services built into Windows 8, such as Bing, OneDrive, and Xbox Music and Video.

great news, maybe a push by new ceo before everybody switch to android.
better if he sets up a new department for new from scratch arm os that let people using a click to convert android phone into new arm os phone.
Post 01 Mar 2014, 11:48
sid123

sid123
Hope not.
Windows is already ruling the x86 market,
Do we want monopoly? Smile
Post 01 Mar 2014, 14:16
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
If they offer it for "free" that means they see a way to make more money than by selling it for a fee.
Post 01 Mar 2014, 15:49
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i only see android, ios really dominate all the mobile platform, no where ms is there, yet.
windows phones.... no where,, really.

revolution wrote:

If they offer it for "free" that means they see a way to make more money than by selling it for a fee.

yeah, agree, we become product...

but still, maybe ms only allow such os in device that less than 30 GB, maybe,
maybe without api to read/write local disk,

but still, a functional free OS is a nice beer everybody hope for.
Post 01 Mar 2014, 16:01
m3ntal

m3ntal
Nothing is free from Microsoft. A "free" version of Windows would be so severely disabled that users would have no choice but to register.

My netbook was preinstalled with Windows 7 starter edition and it was constantly asking me to buy the full version. When the trial expired, it wouldn't let me change the desktop wallpaper. $100+ for a wallpaper!? In that case, I'll leave it black.

Stop supporting M$ and they'll have to lower their prices.
Post 01 Mar 2014, 22:20
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I would much prefer for the paid model to continue. I don't like the idea of a "free" OS that is full of advertising and inflexible online requirements. This is one reason I would never use a chromebook with everything being stored on Google's servers and every keystroke being sent back to the mother ship.

If MS go the way of online services and nothing else then it would be a sad day. Things like fasm would not be able to run on a crippled OS with no local storage. Everything in the "cloud" is a terrible idea IMO. It leaves us with no control over our own data, exposes us to privacy risks, and allows others to decide what we can do and not do.
m3ntal wrote:
My netbook was preinstalled with Windows 7 starter edition and it was constantly asking me to buy the full version. When the trial expired, it wouldn't let me change the desktop wallpaper. $100+ for a wallpaper!? In that case, I'll leave it black.
Not quite right with your conclusion. I realise that it appears as though you are only paying for a wallpaper, but really they are requiring payment for the entire OS. You can't take a car for a test drive and think that paying the $20000 price is only getting you the colour of your choice.
m3ntal wrote:
Stop supporting M$ and they'll have to lower their prices.
It appears that may have already happened. You can't get a much lower price than free. And look where it takes us, into a world of no freedom and where everything is an advertising space.

If only Linux/BSD/Unix/whatever was a viable alternative. Sigh.

Cue the Linux supporters in 3, 2, 1 ...
Post 02 Mar 2014, 03:28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
typedef

typedef
Are you all picking up the pieces? Very Happy

Cloud computing, crafted wars (fuck up someone's home and offer them yours) to make people come under one roof. All these plus new to come are factors that will make the so called New World Order, many nations under one ruler. Whoever refuses to join will be questioned and seen as an enemy of the state. Imprisonment and death they shall receive.

Now that Facebook bought What's App, and Google syncs all your data in the background....

The next thing will be zombies (infect people all over the world with some disease that makes you want to eat another person's brains lol Very Happy Shocked) and control people by putting them in safe zones A.K.A concentration camps.

Surely, we will fuck ourselves up before the aliens do. Rolling Eyes

wow. so much conspiracies here huh? Razz
Post 02 Mar 2014, 04:13
YONG

YONG
Who wants or needs to upgrade from a nice Win 7 to a crippled Win 8.1? Rolling Eyes

Many new, inexpensive (hybrid) notebooks running Win 8.1 even have MS Office 2013 (Home & Student version) pre-installed. The following is an example:

http://www.asus.com/in-search-of-incredible/us-en/asus-transformer-book-t100/

Wink
Post 02 Mar 2014, 07:35

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: