flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Flat or Fast Assembler?

What should be the name of a new FASM assembler?
Flat Assembler 2
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
Fast Assembler ("Formerly known as Flat")
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
m3ntal

m3ntal
IMO, FASM is the best assembler and it should be popular. One of the reasons FASM is overlooked may be because of its name. In English, meaning of "flat": boring, typical, dull, tasteless, uninteresting, without shape. Example: Flat beer and flat women.

How about a new website design? One that displays thumbnail previews of programs+games created with FASM for visitors to see? "FASM Gallery". Since this site was created, it must've gotten millions of hits and there's only 5,XXX registered users? The Raspberry PI community already has 1,000,000+ users. We must do something different.

Anyone want to help bring in new users? Without support, FASM will eventually become extinct. Microsoft wants to own your @ss and make you use their compilers.
Post 28 Jan 2014, 19:28
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous
[ Post removed by author. ]

Last edited by HaHaAnonymous on 28 Feb 2015, 18:24; edited 1 time in total
Post 28 Jan 2014, 20:01
typedef

typedef
m3ntal wrote:
IMO, FASM is the best assembler and it should be popular. One of the reasons FASM is overlooked may be because of its name. In English, meaning of "flat": boring, typical, dull, tasteless, uninteresting, without shape. Example: Flat beer and flat women.

How about a new website design? One that displays thumbnail previews of programs+games created with FASM for visitors to see? "FASM Gallery". Since this site was created, it must've gotten millions of hits and there's only 5,XXX registered users? The Raspberry PI community already has 1,000,000+ users. We must do something different.

Anyone want to help bring in new users? Without support, FASM will eventually become extinct. Microsoft wants to own your @ss and make you use their compilers.

What are you smoking ?

- The Flat in Flat Assembler means .... duh ... flat; flat or linear byte to memory assembling.

- Flashy websites attract trolls, kids and employs unnecessary use of Javascript and it is a waste of bandwidth and plus the fact that revolution doesn't like Javascript.

- So you want everyone in the world to start using FASM?

- Also, FASM is both Flat and Fast. Wink
Post 28 Jan 2014, 20:21
m3ntal

m3ntal
HaHa: Thanks for your opinion. However, I'm more interested in the opinions of programmers; you know, people who actually make programs Wink
Quote:
What?! Isn't it popular? How did I find it then?!
Not as popular as MASM. When I discovered FASM, there was only a handful of posts here.
Quote:
Ah, no. I hate unnecessary changes. It is fine that way.
Most humans are afraid of change. How can we expect different results/outcome if we don't do something different?

Microsoft totally dominates the programming industry. Do you want them to take over completely and make it impossible for native code to run on Windoze? Am I the only who cares?
Post 28 Jan 2014, 20:33
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous
[ Post removed by author. ]

Last edited by HaHaAnonymous on 28 Feb 2015, 18:24; edited 1 time in total
Post 28 Jan 2014, 20:49
typedef

typedef
m3ntal wrote:
Microsoft totally dominates the programming industry. Do you want them to take over completely and make it impossible for native code to run on Windoze? Am I the only who cares?

Free market. You make it, you charge whatever you want or do whatever you want with it.

Life is getting faster my friend, and with that, so are machines. I love assembly and native code. But you just can't get things done quickly enough with it. Sometimes when we're working on projects we are side tracked and faced with unprecedented problems whose solutions would have been much quickly implemented using RAD tools. This is where these things come in.

However, my model is that they shouldn't be a learning point.
Post 28 Jan 2014, 20:51
m3ntal

m3ntal
Quote:
What are you smoking?
Nothing, that explains why I'm a little frusturated today Smile
Quote:
The Flat in Flat Assembler means .... duh ... flat; flat or linear byte to memory assembling.
Actually, flat memory model. So, you think Flat is a better word for an assembler than Fast? FASM is, by far, the fastest assembler there is.

Quote:
Flashy websites attract trolls, kids and employs unnecessary use of Javascript and it is a waste of bandwidth and plus the fact that revolution doesn't like Javascript.
Never said "flashy", never mentioned JavaScript. Trolls? Are you serious? Smile This community does not revolve around one person. While I respect revolution's opinion on most issues, I think for myself and come to my own conclusions.
Quote:
So you want everyone in the world to start using FASM?
No, I think they should be aware of it and given the choice like evolution versus creation in schools.
Post 28 Jan 2014, 20:51
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Flat or fast? It is just a name.

The fact that fasm might be a quick assembler kind of misses the point I think. We take great care and ponder things for lengthy times to create awesome code (right?) but the actual assembly process itself is not the final goal of what we do.

If you want to increase the user base then perhaps you should be concentrating on what people use the assembler for instead of diverting energy into minor metrics like speed. Consider this: "Here at WidgetsRus we make the fastest widgets in the world, come and get the fastest widgets here." Would that make you buy a widget when you don't even know what the widget is used for?
Post 28 Jan 2014, 23:48
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cod3b453

cod3b453
On popularity, there has to be a good enough reason for people to move from other existing and established alternatives. MASM/GAS/ICC are closely tied to their associated compilers so without total compatibility no one would move. Others have more history/airtime and so are more visible than FASM (the examples is a good way to match this and I do agree to some extent eye candy will make some people take more notice).

Comparison with Raspberry Pi doesn't make a lot of sense - it is a platform where everything's done for you already. I doubt the number of competent asm programmers in the world is anywhere near 1,000,000 because it requires more effort than those other million who can't/won't be bothered.

Since the original aim of fasm was the flat memory model (and speed is a useful by-product) I opted for "Flat Assembler 2".
Post 28 Jan 2014, 23:49
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Additional:

In general people are task orientated, not process orientated. Show people how assembly can meet the requirements of their task and then you have a chance to attract more users. But showing people how quickly something works is of no use if no one can see how it matches with their task.
Post 28 Jan 2014, 23:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DOS386

DOS386
Check out http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=6278 MY ASSEMBLER IS FLATTER THAN YOURS Very Happy
Post 01 Feb 2014, 08:25

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: