flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > What actually is consciousness?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
matefkr

matefkr
well u are almost correct revolution.

but in fact it resides in a container, with its identifiers, similar to an object instance of a class. only here the class is soul.

and this class data fileds are changing (but the identifier, wich is its own aligmnet actually). the bounderies however are changing.
and it has various writable extendable paramaeters, where data can be written for processing from other souls, if they are on the necessery permission level.
Post 23 Jan 2014, 12:07
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
matefkr: What do you mean by "soul"?

All of the meanings I have encountered before have no basis of proof and are merely ways to explain things like: what goes to heaven after you die, or what makes us different from dogs, etc. I have not seen any evidence to support the existence of a soul of the "spirit" type.
Post 23 Jan 2014, 12:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

YONG
tom tobias wrote:
YONG, you can read, if you are curious, about neurons cultured in vitro. They have microtubules, but no consciousness!! They have resting membrane potentials, as does EVERY living cell, but, unlike their neuronal kinfolk in a living brain, of any animal, the isolated neuron displays little if any, spontaneous electrical activity, i.e. action potentials. Why not? They have no synaptic connections with other neurons. An isolated neuron possesses microtubules, as does every other prokaryotic cell, but that neuron has no typical function, without other neurons in close proximity, forming synaptic connections.
You meant "eukaryotic", right?

Reference:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7968920

tom tobias wrote:
Consciousness, like memory, and anger, and love, and understanding of mathematics, is a process reflecting the collective attributes of the entire central nervous system. If you will visit a hospital for war veterans, you will find many folks, who are apparently healed, upon gaze of their external features, but they have no recollection of their former identity, due to severe brain injury. They have EEG patterns, but often those patterns are quite different from conventional patterns, reflecting, not microtubule dysfunction, but rather, ABSENCE of neurons, a result of the trauma on the battlefield.
Thanks for this real life example.

tom, please post more often. This forum needs knowledgeable members like you. Wink
Post 23 Jan 2014, 12:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
matefkr

matefkr
well idont mean by soul. soul IS the set of conneted present percepts and its properties as described in the class descriptor table of it.
Post 23 Jan 2014, 12:28
tom tobias

tom tobias
YONG wrote:
You meant "eukaryotic", right?
Yes, my error. Sorry. Rushing about like a chicken sans tete.
revolution wrote:
I am not, and have never been, paid by ARM for anything at any time, ever.
My apologies, sir, or madam. I did not intend to imply any kind of financial relationship. In hospitals, at least, many elderly folks, (not suggesting that "revolution" is/are elderly), volunteer. They are paid nothing. That fact would not render inaccurate the sentence:
"Joe works at xyz hospital".
One need not receive remuneration, to be "working" at an institution. Typically, yes, one is paid. But financial gain is not a prerequisite, to maintain the legitimacy of the expression "works at". "Affiliated" is (perhaps incorrectly) regarded as synonymous with "working at". Both expressions imply financial gain. Neither expression corresponds to certainty, regarding assumption of payment for services rendered.

In English, it is true, (revolution is not wrong here), that the expression "works at", implies remuneration. I sought, however, only to suggest that the gender issue could prove more complicated than had been previously assumed, for one has no information about "revolution", including, not merely, the gender of the author, but also the number, of the author.

"revolution" could well be a single individual, or many folks. In the latter case, gender could prove confounding. The issue, raised, in other words, was related not to remuneration, at ARM, or anywhere else, but rather, to the quantity of folks writing on the FASM web site, using the identifier: "revolution".

Just as robots have displaced many folks, formerly employed in factories performing repetitive tasks, so, too, it will not be long, before robots post here on the forum, .....

Smile
Post 23 Jan 2014, 19:40
revolution

revolution
Hehe, well I don't do volunteer work at ARM (or Intel, MS, etc.) either. I wonder what could have caused tom tobias to think I could be multiple people masquerading as one? Anyhow, since it is not really important whether I am one person or many then I'll just let you all decide for yourselves which it is. Razz But keep in mind I do use the first-person singular nominative case personal pronoun (thanks Wikipedia) and not "we" when referring to myself as the poster named revolution.

So from all of us here at the revolution clone factory we say "When all else fails, read the source".
Post 24 Jan 2014, 02:44
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
till today, i keep on wondering what is conscious,
what the initial stuff that happened that cause me to perceive i self,
even the moment now, i type, what is the cause of this event,

i am much into believe all things happened due to chain reaction, but what cause the initial start?

conscious seems like an idea, something that formed after some complex chain reaction, maybe.

am still far away to realize all these.
Post 24 Jan 2014, 10:00
tom tobias

tom tobias
sleepsleep wrote:
i am much into believe all things happened due to chain reaction, but what cause the initial start?

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0896627312008203

What causes the computer to boot up? Switch turned on? What is the switch in the central nervous system that "turns on", to wake us up, out of sleep, i.e. to become conscious. Where is that switch located in the brain? How does that switch function?

For patients in a hospital with serious brain injuries, is there a computer replacement part that could be implanted, to interact with the uninjured, healthy, normally functioning tissue? Here is a reference by a couple of authors from MIT and CalTech:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.84.1359&rep=rep1&type=pdf

This type of programming is typically closer to the ARM instruction set than to the Intel/AMD interface more familiar to forum members.

revolution wrote:
I wonder what could have caused tom tobias to think I could be multiple people masquerading as one?
Apologies, if I am the source of this confusion. I do not believe that revolution is multiple people. I simply assert that there is no evidence one way or the other, he/she could be a single individual, or could be multiple persons with the same login. It is a simple matter of logic, not belief. If push comes to shove, I will argue that revolution is a male individual. But, that is a mere opinion, without utility in a non-faith based discussion, i.e. one employing logic rather than dictum.

revolution wrote:
But keep in mind I do use the first-person singular nominative case personal pronoun (thanks Wikipedia) and not "we" when referring to myself as the poster named revolution.

Another logical non-sequitur. The unknown author, named "revolution", can be any quantity of persons, of either gender, and use any pronoun he/she/they wish. In no way does the data presented on the forum translate into certainty about the identity of this/these person(s).

Smile
Post 24 Jan 2014, 11:28
revolution

revolution
Hehe, yep. tom is correct. And even if I declare myself as being something how would you know if it is true?

Description: I could be anything. Don't simply believe what I say I am.
Filesize: 105.8 KB
Viewed: 3659 Time(s)

chatroomfun.jpg

Post 24 Jan 2014, 11:48
typedef

typedef
sleepsleep wrote:
till today, i keep on wondering what is conscious,
what the initial stuff that happened that cause me to perceive i self,
even the moment now, i type, what is the cause of this event,

conscious seems like an idea, something that formed after some complex chain reaction, maybe.

am still far away to realize all these.

Your initial start was because you wanted everyone else here to know what's going on in your head.

If you don't understand something that makes you then.... I don't know.

Anyway, consciousness is a state of being in any being. Being meaning a living thing. From a sperm whale to a tiny single cell, they all have consciousness.

So there are 2 known states of a being.

1. Conscious
2. Unconscious
2a. Faint or passing out
2b. Seizure
2c. Comma
2d. Period (The grand demise)
Post 24 Jan 2014, 15:52
YONG

YONG
tom tobias wrote:
If push comes to shove, I will argue that revolution is a male individual.
Thanks. I just learned one more idiom. Razz
Post 25 Jan 2014, 06:22
tthsqe

tthsqe
Do you know the idiom for idioms, i.e. 'as it were'?
Ex:
If push comes to shove, as it were, I'd take his word for it.
Post 25 Jan 2014, 14:31
MHajduk

MHajduk
[...]

Last edited by MHajduk on 27 Jan 2014, 14:21; edited 1 time in total
Post 25 Jan 2014, 17:30
typedef

typedef
OMG. I just watched a good movie.

A Beautiful Mind based on this story : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Forbes_Nash,_Jr.

Although they missed some steps.
Post 26 Jan 2014, 18:52
YONG

YONG
tthsqe wrote:
Do you know the idiom for idioms, i.e. 'as it were'?
Yeah, something similar to "so to speak".
Post 27 Jan 2014, 06:05
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i like his presentation
Graham Hancock, Exploring Consciousness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7PUssV9oNo
Post 01 Mar 2014, 22:50

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: