flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Aluminium Electrolytic Capacitors - SMD

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
hi,
i am trying to purchase substitute capacitors for this broken nvidia geforce 8500gt 256mb 128bit ddr2

i snap the below picture,

the information from capacitor is,
Code:
FZ73 --+
1500   | five units
6.3V --+

FZ71 --+
470    | two units
16V  --+

checking my element14 website, i found the following, are they suitable,

http://my.element14.com/nichicon/ucz1c471mcl1gs/capacitor-alum-elec-470uf-16v-20/dp/1894482

http://my.element14.com/panasonic/eeetp1c471ap/capacitor-electrolytic-16v-470uf/dp/1751947

btw,
is something like below repairable?

damaged on gold connectors pins or card interface?
Post 19 Nov 2013, 01:52
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I don't know if the caps are suitable. You would also need to check the ESR and other properties to be sure. If you can find the same make/model it would be the best chance for compatibility. But generally speaking the value and voltage rating is often enough to get a working replacement.

The gold fingers can be easily cleaned. Using a standard pencil eraser is probably a good place to start. Then some non-corrosive cleaner (like IPA) can get rid of any remaining contaminants.
Post 19 Nov 2013, 02:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JohnFound

JohnFound
At first you need 1500uF capacitance at 6.3V;
Then, FZ series capacitors are "high temperature", "ultra low ESR".

This one should be good enough.
Post 19 Nov 2013, 07:37
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
thanks revolution & JohnFound,

i was thinking of buying a cheaper version, not sure if there got others faults on that old graphic card,

btw, since ESR is not written on that capacitors, how could one know about if let say the ESR information of such capacitor is not available on google?
Post 19 Nov 2013, 20:40
revolution

revolution
You won't find component specs on google. The best place to look is the manufacturers website, and sometimes the agents website (element14, digikey, mouser etc.).
Post 19 Nov 2013, 23:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
thanks,,
here another one which i need your guys help,

some KZG bad caps on ibm thinkcentre, around 8 units in total,

i found the manufacturer specification here,
http://kyxk.net/bbsanc.php?path=/groups/comp.faq/ComputerMarket/Experience/M.1134750544.v0&ap=553

what i confuse is the Rated Ripple Current, i search element14, the highest i could see is 6A, 1.19A, 850mA, 750mA, 670mA, 480mA, 310mA

http://tinyurl.com/kqdabaa

not sure which one is more suitable.
Post 22 Nov 2013, 01:15
revolution

revolution
I'm quite certain you can buy the exact same replacement parts. Just don't rely solely on element14. There are other suppliers around.

Usually the only time you need to look for alternatives is when the part is out of production and stock holdings have all been sold.
Post 22 Nov 2013, 01:22
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
i got 2 questions,

first, it is better and wise to use original caps as replacement? since the original might got quality issue that caused them to blow or etc issues.

second, it is better and wise to use third-party caps as replacement? since they might got better quality and better in long term.
Post 22 Nov 2013, 11:19
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
friends,
i saw this on digikey,
maybe more suitable except the height is 20 mm,

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/EEU-FR0J152L/P14363-ND/2433497

the ripple current for this panasonic caps is 1.56A, i guess around the 1,540 mA according to the KZG sheet above.. please let me know if i am wrong.
Post 23 Nov 2013, 13:12
revolution

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
i got 2 questions,

first, it is better and wise to use original caps as replacement? since the original might got quality issue that caused them to blow or etc issues.

second, it is better and wise to use third-party caps as replacement? since they might got better quality and better in long term.
Actually they are really the same question. But there is no answer to it except: "maybe". Without more information we just don't know if an alternative would be better or not. You might end up in a worse situation then before. You might end up with a much better solution. We can't know until someone tries it and does extensive testing.
Post 23 Nov 2013, 14:38
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
thanks revolution,
i was thinking if there are sort of ways to decide if to purchase original or change to third-party,

since i am really new to these caps changing stuffs, idk what really the factors that caused a capacitor to be a good capacitor...

since they wrote their V and uF on the clothes they wear, i guess that is the most important factors..

but ESR, ripple current, impedance, and etc, i got no idea what they are, and how important that values, if we adjust those values by using third-party caps.
Post 23 Nov 2013, 20:49
revolution

revolution
I would suggest that if you are not sure if your replacement will fit the requirement then instead just buy the original.

Also, you need to realise that the board might still not work after replacing the caps. The caps may have gone faulty because some other part of the circuit is driving them incorrectly. Similarly to when a fuse blows, we must look into why the fuse blew before we go ahead and replace the fuse.

Post number 11111. I sure have been a spammy spammer.
Post 24 Nov 2013, 13:29
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
hi revolution,
thanks for the info,

yeah, i am aware that replacing caps might not solve the issue and bring the board alive,

the why the fuse blew is knowledge that i want to learn,

btw, congratulation on your 31th posts!!
i feel very fortunate to have you responded in my threads, thanks for advices, information & sharing, much appreciate,

thank you,
ps: if there is a [ +1 thank you ] button somewhere, i would certainly sure that you would receives more than 11111 thanks.
Post 26 Nov 2013, 02:14

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: