flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > i gonna open a hackerspace

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
wish me luck, and more luck,

i rented half a shop lot with a friend, maybe still got some issues, but i hope i could realize the below idea, but still, it depends on luck.

one of the idea inside my mind is, set up a hackerspace,

the main objectives:
a) profitable (so i/we could survive in long run)

b) to raise human perspective on the value of knowledge.

c) to bring and realize cool ideas, cool technologies, cool methods, cool lifestyle, philosophies to public.

d) to share the idea, members helping members, only people who help others deserved to get help from others.

and all these are not free, because free is equal to abused by uncivilized barbarians.
and i see no reason why i should get abused.

so, it will operates as a normal computer shop (selling hardware / software / repair ) computers or related products.

i roughly calculated the basic expenses, should be around USD 500 / month.

the problem here is, how should i blend this business idea into hackerspaces, since most of them are free and probably funded by .... idk.

how should i charge and how i should i let them understand, members helping members is the only way if they want to join?

my slogan would probably be,
- changing your life by becoming a changer first
- smart people will get beaten by idiots if they don't start to help each others.
(maybe YONG could help correct my english)

since knowledge is everywhere, they could get it from internet, free,
i guess the role of hackerspaces is main to motivate them to learn and share.

btw, YONG, should i put "s" for hackerspaces or just hackerspace ?
Post 14 Oct 2013, 10:20
matefkr

matefkr
well.. hackerspaces can mean cheap innovators. connected to last notion.

well. do u have sex with this friend of yours?

well. wish u luck. U should upload a video about progress regarding something to mention.

Members helping other members is a good concept.

well i dont know. i was thinking about selfsufficient colony.. because as is.. it can provide profit.. such as food production.. little animals used if at all and energy from sunlight wich needed for plants and so on. Idea it provide sustained development or at least some stuff for it. Of course.. most of the smart ones only drive development in ccurrent society. the dumb ones are either manipulating others in was to keep them at a social position, or dont do much at all for development.

computers, sell things.. computers need to be bought and used for something. they need to be built or designed, it is straightforward that the demand should be kept up for this to sustain, as long as money would be the way of self preservation. Still there is demand i think.. so well. but u should know, the internet was made and expanded to civilians in some aspects.. the idea? get some data.. for what? i dont know. .. of coruse in the same time the internet can also be used as a library or just unified communication network overall.

so my advise would be if profits.. lets drive towards real self-sufficiency. of course the members helping members concepts can be used to fuel development.. and so on.
but of course with better management then right now, to consider all possible areas by the top level manager.
I also suggest making bad like things.. from materials wich can withstand catastrophs of sorts.. look at this ball where humans are the inside and they roll down a hill for example.
Post 14 Oct 2013, 10:58
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i agree with what you mentioned about selfsufficient colony,
and i could see it is so hard to form such colony without mutual understanding, since the value people perceive on certain things are totally flaw.

maybe it is time smart one takes control and deploy a mutual understanding framework for future.

idk how hard things would be in coming future months, but i prepare a sum of money already for 12 months basic expenses.

i could see other hackerspaces doing some sort of membership fees... per year / month...
Post 14 Oct 2013, 11:35
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous
[ Post removed by author. ]

Last edited by HaHaAnonymous on 28 Feb 2015, 19:44; edited 1 time in total
Post 14 Oct 2013, 14:53
matefkr

matefkr
[quote="sleepsleep"]i agree with what you mentioned about selfsufficient colony,
and i could see it is so hard to form such colony without mutual understanding, since the value people perceive on certain things are totally flaw.

maybe it is time smart one takes control and deploy a mutual understanding framework for future.

idk how hard things would be in coming future months, but i prepare a sum of money already for 12 months basic expenses.

i could see other hackerspaces doing some sort of membership fees... per year / month...[/quote]

well.
Post 14 Oct 2013, 16:17
typedef

typedef
^Quote fail too...
Post 14 Oct 2013, 17:05
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
sleepless night, and it is 10:50 AM now.

it just seems, this free hackerspace concept hardly combined into commercial,
the local expectation, the value of devalued knowledge, skills, ideas, etc

added value equal to processed knowledge. Wink

people been making lots of sacrifice, in terms of time, money and more for free or cheap output, bsd, linux, open sources software and etc, and probably they live in a way poor, pay check to pay check, no luxury, etc

something is wrong here.... Rolling Eyes
Post 15 Oct 2013, 03:35
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
sleepsleep: Perhaps you focus too much on the money. Being rich or poor doesn't matter, just be happy.

Everyone on this board has contributed free stuff with no expectation of payment. But we have all been helped by that free stuff from others in innumerable ways that far outweigh any monetary return for our own efforts.

Money is just a tool. It shouldn't be a target else you will just get frustrated about never having enough.
Post 15 Oct 2013, 04:01
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

YONG
sleepsleep wrote:
my slogan would probably be,
- changing your life by becoming a changer first
- smart people will get beaten by idiots if they don't start to help each others.
(maybe YONG could help correct my english)
1. Change your life by changing your mindset first - being rich or poor doesn't matter, just be happy.
2. Smart fellows, if they don't bother to help each other, will eventually get exploited by idiots.

sleepsleep wrote:
btw, YONG, should i put "s" for hackerspaces or just hackerspace ?
No "s", I would say.

sleepsleep wrote:
wish me luck, and more luck
Good luck. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Wink
Post 15 Oct 2013, 05:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dogman

dogman
beer, twinkies, coffee, keyboards.

pay for the beer and twinkies and coffee. computing is free.

you would do ok

and 2 hours free hackerspace time with each new computer sold, something like that.

hackerspace

Last edited by dogman on 15 Oct 2013, 16:56; edited 1 time in total
Post 15 Oct 2013, 16:52
dogman

dogman
Quote:
sleepsleep: Perhaps you focus too much on the money. Being rich or poor doesn't matter, just be happy.

Money can't buy happiness but it can put a nice downpayment on it.

It's hard to be happy when you're lying face down in the gutter on a cold winter day. A nice apartment and a warm stove helps. It's nice to be idealistic but you also have to pay the bills.

You will probably not be able to support yourself on a hackerspace at least not at first. You still need a job and to make some investment. If things go well, quit your job. If not you can still fund your hobby. Mostly jobs are so you can have hobbies, food, etc.

Post 15 Oct 2013, 16:54
matefkr

matefkr
sorry off topic.
Post 15 Oct 2013, 19:45
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
revolution wrote:

yes, i am focus on making it profitable,
instead of happy,,,,i prefer peace of mind, no need to worry about rental, loan, petrol, tax, food, car, etc,

and all those peace of mind requires $$ in 2013.

revolution wrote:

Everyone on this board has contributed free stuff with no expectation of payment.

agree

revolution wrote:

Everyone... with no expectation of payment.

idk, but i guess, somewhere deep inside, beside honour & recognition in community, they too hope for cash, paypal, bitcoin, etc.
of course, i agree moneytary are not their primary factor to produce free stuffs.

revolution wrote:

Money is just a tool. It shouldn't be a target else you will just get frustrated about never having enough.

agree, it is tool, and it is having this tool that i could probably get some or more peace of mind.
there are some fear inside myself, i am financial stable currently, with my current lifestyle, cost of living, etc, life is peaceful,

but doing free stuff for others, helping others, commit new shop monthly rental, renovation and etc,,, might blow my income out of proportion,

i am quite timid in one sense, but with all the courages and luck you guys gave me, i will survive. =)
Post 15 Oct 2013, 23:20
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
thanks YONG,
i get it, hackerspace =)

YONG wrote:

Smart fellows, if they don't bother to help each other, will eventually get exploited by idiots.

will print this out, and display it.

YONG wrote:

Good luck. I will keep my fingers crossed.

thanks YONG, i hope one day we could drink coffee somewhere.
Post 15 Oct 2013, 23:24
kalambong

kalambong
sleepsleep wrote:
it just seems, this free hackerspace concept hardly combined into commercial
Hackerspace can only survive with a strong backing of a profitable commercial entity.

In your case you need to put your things in order.

You need to build up your commercial (for profit) entity, get it onto a firm footing first, and only then you start tinkering with the hackspace concept.

You do need to know that it does take time for birds of the same feather to flock --- and in order to attract people with similar mindset to your joint, you should spice up your commercial offerings --- something that only hackers do that others (computer seller) do not ...

Something like offering the buyers a chance to enjoy special mod for the hardware/software/firmware you sold them, for example.

Once your reputation grow (oh, that guy is the only one in town can do that for you) people with similar interests will start frequenting your joint ... and when that happen, you can, privately, or through printed newsletter that you put on your shop counter, announce a "special event" once a while... and those "special events" are the precursors of your full blown hackerspace project.

Hope this helps !
Post 25 Oct 2013, 12:54
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
kalambong wrote:

Hackerspace can only survive with a strong backing of a profitable commercial entity.

agree,
doing good requires lots of $$ and barbarians will loot you all the way,
and having a shop name which include the word "hacker" will scare lots of people here,
they would get the idea, would this guy put some keylog in my laptop after format, hack my bank account and so on..

the word "hacker" is not very well explain and define here, in my place.
hacker == bad guy, and that is basic picture inside most people mind here.

i like your idea that lead to "special event", i think, that is the best choice in my situation now, =)

kalambong wrote:

you should spice up your commercial offerings --- something that only hackers do that others (computer seller) do not ...

agree,

maybe like joining microsoft office 365 programs, google for local business initiatives and so on,

still thinking about company name, should make it without the word "hacker",
peeking on the yellowpages right now, see how other countries owner named their shop =) Laughing
Post 25 Oct 2013, 15:56
matefkr

matefkr
well. not sure what country u are from.
u want english name, then make sure the locals like english people. if no like english people, then u no put english name perhaps.
Post 26 Oct 2013, 17:18
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
visit to yellowpages really worth it,
i let myself try to figure out which companies website i clicked and reason out why i click them,

the name should be something simple, already inside people mind,
a simple english word, it doesn't has to show eliteness, superior, or etc

the requirement is , familiar word, something that people deal all day without realize, eg. 404.
Post 26 Oct 2013, 19:57
YONG

YONG
How about "Unplugged!"? Rolling Eyes

The domain name "unplugged.com" is still available.

Wink
Post 27 Oct 2013, 06:51
matefkr

matefkr
um. it seems a little bit backward, to have just Hackerspaces. it seems like it is something smart if there is a good framework, and should be done a similar thing in a good system. but then it should be more specific not?

something like computer workshop or such.
a lab-- hackerspace (as i am reading its a lab.. open lab of sort). doesnt seem so security thight depending on the implementaiton. like information security or such. it seems outright dumb, even if u have collaborated to sell these ideas the ideas worth much more then money could buy in a corrupt system (at least some of the ideas).

Seriously, if u got the resoucrces.. and motivation, and help from friend, maybe u can make something like a pc workshop.. where u can mod pc-s customize them to be more powerfull for instance. then u might make money.. or repair pc-s.

then as soon as u can, u can make an efficient sorta automized food production system or such. i dont see how anyone would be realy hurt by a food production system. big companies are working around genetically engineered food, they can still sell their seeds, or go for energy perhaps (biomass energy if it makes a difference or stuff).
Post 27 Oct 2013, 10:26

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: