flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Feedback > user's computer info

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
how about adding optional entry to personal profile about computer that is user using. It helps when someone posts bug report you don't have to ask him about his computer/configuration.
Post 11 May 2004, 18:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
That is a very good point
processor type / OS / service packs / maybe even FASM version, but I have no idea, how to update that last one.
Don't know if amount of RAM and HDD space is that important, but it might help to know about how much (1MB or 120GB) is the HDD or the type of RAM.
Post 13 May 2004, 23:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
Another thing is that under General the first subject should be WHERE TO START! and there would be critical information to those of new to FASM, because all new-user questions are scattered around forum and of course new users can't find them so easily and post again their usual questions. The FAQ should be the first place to be transferred from there on.
Post 13 May 2004, 23:15
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
comrade

comrade
this could be in the signature, but i guess having it on the lefthand column just under Location would make it a lot easier Smile
OS/platform can be detected by forum software itself, using User-Agent string from HTTP requests

Post 14 May 2004, 00:54
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
ShortCoder

ShortCoder
comrade wrote:
this could be in the signature, but i guess having it on the lefthand column just under Location would make it a lot easier Smile
OS/platform can be detected by forum software itself, using User-Agent string from HTTP requests

Yes, but it is easy enough to make whatever User-Agent string you want so I wouldn't say that is a definitive test. I could have my User-Agent string say that I am using PhotonOS with Slinko browser version 5.8 using telnet easily;) So could anybody else.
Post 14 May 2004, 07:36
comrade

comrade
most don't do that

Post 14 May 2004, 12:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
And to those who do it - it is your OWN fault, that you don't get the help you need:P
Post 14 May 2004, 12:34
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
ShortCoder wrote:
Yes, but it is easy enough to make whatever User-Agent string you want ...

But for what purpose? The idea is to ease bugtracking-supporting.

I like comrade's suggestion, because I access the board from different hardware/software combinations all the day.
Post 14 May 2004, 12:41
ShortCoder

ShortCoder
pelaillo wrote:
ShortCoder wrote:
Yes, but it is easy enough to make whatever User-Agent string you want ...

But for what purpose? The idea is to ease bugtracking-supporting.

I like comrade's suggestion, because I access the board from different hardware/software combinations all the day.

The purpose would be to mask what OS and browser you were using. I agree that it could be useful in tracking down bugs based on system but, at the same time, could be used maliciously (If someone knows EXACTLY which OS you are using and EXACTLY which browser they can practically look up that information planning for an attack). I don't know the motives of people but I do know that some people aren't so nice as you might like to think they would be. Regardless, I think this should be an optional thing (per each user) if it is indeed chosen to be implemented publicly-visible like that.
Post 15 May 2004, 10:40
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
ShortCoder,
For an attacker is easier to figure out your hw/sw than to the forum agent.

The only way to protect yourself from attacks is to take care of the software/configuration.
Post 15 May 2004, 14:37
ShortCoder

ShortCoder
pelaillo wrote:
ShortCoder,
For an attacker is easier to figure out your hw/sw than to the forum agent.

The only way to protect yourself from attacks is to take care of the software/configuration.

Well as to the forums software and admins having my useragent, I don't mind that. By merely hosting this fine webforum they have earned at least that. If you visit a webpage, they get your userinfo---and I'm fine with that! ...because obviously whichever page I am viewing is providing me with some sort of service, be it informational, entertainment, business, etc... What I am not fine with is for whichever random person might be viewing threads (read they don't even have to be a member but could be) harvesting this information for ill usage later on. I realize there is a very legit usage for this but also there is a very illigit one lurking in the background that should stay in the background. If such a setting is optional (and configurable via user prefs) whether one wishes to publicly display this information, I am fine with that.

I also realize that, yes while anyone wishing ill on you can try other methods to try to find out your OS/browser/etc (and therefore look for specific bugs/vulnerabilities to that specific combination) just flat-out displaying that information right there for all to see is practically giving them that and making their job that much easier.

Thank God you're not advocating display of IP addresses as well because I've seen some forums that display the IP addresses of each poster along with browser and OS they are using. Gee--talk about giving a would-be cracker EVERYTHING he needs right there in one short package! IMO it's not safe and it's not smart. If anything it will just encourage people to use proxies and spoof their user agents.
Post 15 May 2004, 14:58
coconut

coconut
privalov, have you given any thought to this feature?
Post 15 May 2004, 14:59
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
Maybe when I've got some more time (next month, if everything goes well).
Post 15 May 2004, 16:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: