flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Second Reality by Future Crew source code released (Github)

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
flaith

flaith
Just released to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the demo: https://github.com/mtuomi/SecondReality
Very Happy
(Thx to Raybarg in Purebasic forum for the info)

Post 02 Aug 2013, 08:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
When I woke up this morning I found in my e-mail box a message with this link already. Thanks to all of you that let me know! Smile

This was my favorite demo in the DOS days, and it may as well be my favorite demo of all the time.

Moreover, this source code release also directed me to this interesting article:
http://ar.to/2010/01/dissecting-the-unlicense
Post 02 Aug 2013, 09:28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ACP

ACP
Great news indeed Very Happy This is one of best demos ever including even other platforms like Commodore, Amiga or Atari IMHO.

I wonder if Raspberry Pi will revive demon scene feelings. Probably with OpenGLES onboard nobody will use ARM and GPU assembly language but still it has some potential due its limitations.
Post 02 Aug 2013, 13:48
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
ACP wrote:
I wonder if Raspberry Pi will revive demon scene feelings.
Somehow I doubt it. The "wow" factor has long since gone. We (as a society) are awash with flashy graphics everywhere and have come to to expect such things to be easy and attach much less value to them.

There are still lots of ways a neophyte programmer can strut their stuff. Just that these ways are more mundane and boring but ultimately more useful in today's world of computer usage.
Post 02 Aug 2013, 18:26
uart777

uart777
True, graphics are not as impressive as they were in the 80s-90s (had a Commodore64. Favorite games: International Karate, Shinobi, Dragon's Lair).

Are Graphics Important?

As far as I'm concerned, language is #1. Second is having a good library with memory routines, text operations, math functions (tthsqe's specialty), sorting algorithms, dynamic array structures, linked lists, binary trees, file I/O, timing, parsing and much more that is not graphical. Older "artistic programmers" realize the importance of these things that serve as the building blocks for everything else.

Without graphics, though, how would you a draw character to a console? How do we even test string functions? ("If string.equal(a,b), blink.led()"? is how I started). What about numbers? Even on systems that can draw text, there are other variables to take into consideration: Does it support different font sizes/styles (for any resolution)? Arbitrary locations? Or append text to output stream? Monospace (code) and/or proportional (reading books)? Etc. To eliminate this confusion, my ARM PL110 Examples (FONT.INC>draw.text) features raw portable graphics (any linear VGA/frame buffer), versatile and customizable for any embedded systems. Hobbyist OS creators will appreciate that graphics+fonts are predefined and they can concentrate on the internals.

"strut their stuff" - A funny way of putting it Smile Honestly, a lot of us who come online to submit code, algorithms and tutorials are just excited about the opportunity to share our ideas.
Post 05 Aug 2013, 09:01
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
uart777 wrote:
"strut their stuff" - A funny way of putting it Smile
The old demo scene was all about showy graphics and sound with very little practical content to be found. That old scene was all about strutting their stuff and very little else.

Fortunately things have changed and people are more open and free with code. Focus has shifted towards providing useful solutions to specific needs.

Pretty graphics are mostly for branding. The public today are more informed and understand better that a pretty application is not necessarily the most useful or easy to use application.
Post 05 Aug 2013, 09:36
uart777

uart777
Just downloaded. I remember these old graphics demos, they are excellent quality! Run in QEMU.
Post 05 Aug 2013, 12:58
flaith

flaith
I still like the good old demos from the French group 'FTA' on the Apple IIGS.
Programming in ASM 65C816 (2.8Mhz).
Check it out on http://www.freetoolsassociation.com/ Very Happy

Post 07 Aug 2013, 02:40

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: