flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > How would you describe Microsoft Windows?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
"Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Can Linux be described similarly?
Post 31 Mar 2013, 16:27
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DOS386

DOS386
revolution wrote:
Can Linux be described similarly?

a) Linux: A 64-bit addon to a collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit community who cant stand 1 bit of efficiency

b) a clone of Windaube that neglects being a clone of Windaube

(consider bloat, system requirements, GUI "design", file I/O "design", API "design", ...)
Post 31 Mar 2013, 16:41
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Windows: Jack of all trades - master of none. (i.e. Feature bloat.) It often happens to software that has been around for a while. Authors really need to work at reducing the scope of their software. The fear is always that people will migrate to the other software if we don't add such-n-such.

This is definitely not the same as saying, "We are going to do what we do better." Better doesn't mean more - more means less somewhere else. This is because of limited resources (developer, system and user resources).

So, software grows and fractures into multiple market shares. Then recombines, or migrates - and the process starts again. Rarely, are features truly trimmed or removed completely.

Post 31 Mar 2013, 17:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous
[ Post removed by author. ]

Last edited by HaHaAnonymous on 28 Feb 2015, 21:08; edited 1 time in total
Post 31 Mar 2013, 18:21
Bob++

Bob++
DOS386, do you don't like linux?
Post 31 Mar 2013, 19:15
ProphetOfDoom

ProphetOfDoom
bitRAKE wrote:
Windows: Jack of all trades - master of none.

Hmm it's interesting you say that, cos I was thinking the exact same thing about Linux just the other day. I use Linux in a home recording studio and it was an absolute b**** to set up. Vanilla Linux kernels are simply incapable of hard real-time behaviour (as are most distros). You need to make several modifications to both the kernel and various config files. It seems really odd to me because Windows could do real-time back in 1998. It makes it seem like the kernel and distros are designed only for the most general use-cases. Android has inherited the same disability - latency of 40ms at best. Trying to do anything out of the ordinary on Linux seems to lead to hassle.

Linux is still my favourite OS though, I like the whole free-as-in-freedom thing (there's an awesome book about Richard Stallman called Free As in Freedom - major page-turner, read it in two days it was really engaging). I still won't call it GNU/Linux tho cos that's just cuckoo Razz plus Linux is just technically better IMO. I just feel 'at home' with it. Even if you do spend longer troubleshooting I still say the benefits outweigh the time spent. The Cinnamon desktop environment is very pleasant to work with.

I keep a Windows 7 install on my laptop in case I ever sell it, and so I can use my printer which doesn't get on well with Ubuntu. Microsoft is killing Windows with all that app store rubbish I hope it goes away soon.

As for API comparisons, Windows does lose out there. A GUI "Hello world" program for gtk+ is only a few lines in C. Look at the Windows API equivalent. Registering a window class? Wtf even IS a window class? BeginPaint? PAINTSTRUCT?! Did the adolescent monkey who "designed" all that not even suspect that he should be HIDING all the manifestations of his diseased mind? Razz

Fond regards,
Me
Post 02 Apr 2013, 04:58
TmX

TmX
ProphetOfDoom wrote:

As for API comparisons, Windows does lose out there. A GUI "Hello world" program for gtk+ is only a few lines in C. Look at the Windows API equivalent. Registering a window class? Wtf even IS a window class? BeginPaint? PAINTSTRUCT?! Did the adolescent monkey who "designed" all that not even suspect that he should be HIDING all the manifestations of his diseased mind? Razz

Hello world in:
Win32 API: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bb384843.aspx
GTK: https://developer.gnome.org/gtk-tutorial/2.90/c39.html
Xlib: http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Window_creation/X11#Xlib
XCB: http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Window_creation/X11#XCB

Yes you're right. The Win32 API version is not really a pleasant to read Laughing
Post 02 Apr 2013, 10:46
revolution

revolution
Have you tried doing a GUI "Hello World!" in DOS? Or CP/M?
Post 02 Apr 2013, 10:58
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
ms windows,
eat meat, vege, dog, cat, snake eater
believe in one god

osx,
eat only lab meat, organic vege and apple fruit
believe in one god too

linux,
eat customized food, unprocessed meat and vege,
believe many god

bsd
eat standardize food, they order set lunch, dinner and breakfast, no add ons, come in set and package
believe many good, less than linux
Post 02 Apr 2013, 15:42
malpolud

malpolud
sleepsleep wrote:
osx,
eat only lab meat, organic vege and apple fruit
believe in one god too

You forgot to mention: buy food that is insanely expensive Wink

Post 02 Apr 2013, 15:48
revolution

revolution
malpolud wrote:
You forgot to mention: buy food that is insanely expensive Wink
I thought it said exactly that:
sleepsleep wrote:
... lab meat, organic vege ...
Strangely, even though "organic" food has no more, and no less, nutrients than "normal" food, people still like to believe they are getting more nutrients from eating less "organic" food. At the very least many of those people will benefit from eating less regardless of the flawed reasoning they use to achieve that goal. Twisted Evil
Post 02 Apr 2013, 15:54
AsmGuru62

AsmGuru62
A common mistake thinking that organic food is a "dupe".
Take chicken and egg as an example:

1. Chickens grown in lab conditions -- no sun (no vitamin D for them),
artificially "spiked" food, etc.

2. Chickens are grown in a free run farm. Under the sun and eating
what they ate for thousands of years, grass, worms, etc -- what planet provides.

Now, take the meat & eggs from both cases and compare them scientifically (has been done a lot of times).
The research like this shows that free run is way better in balanced nutrition.
And caged guys are not so good -- nutritional values are out of wack.
And balance in nature is very important -- some nutrient more or less and we have a sickness, like allergies, etc.
Post 02 Apr 2013, 16:33
revolution

revolution
AsmGuru62 wrote:
The research like this shows that free run is way better in balanced nutrition.
And caged guys are not so good -- nutritional values are out of wack.
Cool. Linky?

Although I'm not sure that "way" or "wack" are scientific terms. Wink
Post 02 Apr 2013, 16:44
malpolud

malpolud
Wow. I am a bit shocked finding out that somebody could believe that artificial food could be better than organic.

Let's take cows and how feeding them with dead cows influenced spreading BSE - mad cows disease. There are many other examples of how improving nature harms us.

Luckily I live in a place where most of food is homegrown, meat and vegs Smile
Post 02 Apr 2013, 17:12
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
define:organic food
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_food
Quote:

Organic foods are foods that are produced using methods of organic farming -- that do not involve modern synthetic inputs such as synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers. Organic foods are also not processed using irradiation, industrial solvents, or chemical food additives.[1] The organic farming movement arose in the 1940s in response to the industrialization of agriculture known as the Green Revolution.[2] Organic food production is a heavily regulated industry, distinct from private gardening. Currently, the European Union, the United States, Canada, Japan and many other countries require producers to obtain special certification in order to market food as organic within their borders. In the context of these regulations, organic food is food produced in a way that complies with organic standards set by national governments and international organizations.

and they are not cheap Laughing

vege food aint cheap too, we are what we eat, maybe, so choose wisely!

i hope one day, maybe i only eat fruits, drink water, than i can survive and live very healthy, and after all,

if we got a large huge mushroom cloud now, maybe we dont have to eat and breath anymore, exists as spirit, soul or non-exists, or wake up from matrix, and you ask,

what is these all about.

but people dont understand,

a question will still a question as long as you havent solve it, it remains a question eternally, even you go to hell or heaven or whatever matrix new dimension, it is still a question, an unsolved question.

it will plagues you forever eternally.
Post 03 Apr 2013, 11:41
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
revolution wrote:
Strangely, even though "organic" food has no more, and no less, nutrients than "normal" food, people still like to believe they are getting more nutrients from eating less "organic" food. At the very least many of those people will benefit from eating less regardless of the flawed reasoning they use to achieve that goal. Twisted Evil
Are you telling me that you have links to research studies carried out by a multi-billion $ industry to support its sub-standard product? As an example, it's easy to taste the difference between fish that were wild, and those that were fed ground-up chicken pellets. It is easy to understand the need for mass-market food, but to defend its equality to a fresh, cared for commodity is just silly. Anything which shunts bio-diversity has long-term costs not accounted for by corporate models.

Post 04 Apr 2013, 20:28
revolution

revolution
Hmm, many here seem to be mistakenly conflating quality and/or taste with nutrient content. If something tastes different that is not an objective measure of either its quality, its healthiness or its nutrient content.

It is common for many people to assume that nature has a perfect balance and anything artificial is automatically worse. But that is not true. What is true is that some things can be improved, and some things can be worsened, by human interaction, but there is no blanket rule that all human interaction makes things worse. We need to judge everything on a case-by-case basis.

Just because something is "organicly grown" will not automatically make it better ... or worse. In some cases it might actually be better, but one has to show it is better and not merely state it is better. "Organicly grown" could also mean worse, many plants won't respond well to natural surroundings in some areas and need assistance to flourish. The point being an objective measure is not easy to get, and if one does get it then it is often ignored because they didn't use the magic word "organic".
Post 05 Apr 2013, 01:35
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
is that genetic modified food better than natural food?
idk,

is genetic modified human through chemtrail will be better for all?
idk,

is geo engineered mars a good idea?
idk,

how bout geo engineered rains, lightning, cloud, HAARP?
idk,

fast grown hormone chicken injection, genetic modified chicken with 8 wings
idk,

better is kinda subjective, fast to market, easy to grown, auto immune to diseases, shaped for best fit packaging,

among the better attributes, then we deal with what most important, but then that is subjective too, each of us hold differently what is important 'better'

no wonder we human are screwed so badly,

but how is that we allow patented gmf and their seeds?
enforce gmf to mass market?
no label for gmf?

like i said earlier, the nature of truth is concealed, and questions remain questions until they got solved,
Post 05 Apr 2013, 02:58
matefkr

matefkr
ge engineered mars is hellofa stupid dumb very much yes.. of course its dumb i crap myself so dumb it is.
with the thinking of xyz, you can conclude: most advancement is first gives tools for the controllers and for the maggots (i say secrete agents are maggots. this is now their definition).
There is a slow trnansition (evolution.. oh how smart they can call names). wich means that the thinking might not transition at all... xyz. work in kindergarten perhaps but not at all.. do nothing... about it here.. something wich they want to ridicule the most about conspiracy theorists: "tinfoilhat" ALL CREATE TRANSMITTERS.. AND TEST YOUR TINFOILHAT if the tinfoilhat indeed protects from radio... ther you go.. all become tinfoilhat conspoiracy theorists. better yet insulate your small room for comfort..) WOOOO. and test your room being ungood for antenna: here: one layerheat resistant.. one layer gap to look for inbetween shit.. inner most layer is shielding against radio.. all around. on the outside: magnetic detector.. any abnormal magnetic activity to be detected.. in case they wanna go strong.
Post 05 Apr 2013, 11:33
matefkr

matefkr
yo computros might be the week link.. so interface your computer in a wise way. (mirrors or optics not reflective of electromagnetic shit.
Post 05 Apr 2013, 11:36

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: