flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Imogen 128bpp image processor...

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Fellow coder is looking for people that want to help write pluggins. He has a nice series of tutorial videos on YouTube, too. Thought I post here in case anyone is interested...

It's a good project idea for x86 coders, imho.

...yes, I realize getting x86 coders together on a project is like herding cats. The pluggin interface is so light-weight anyone should be able to keep sufficiently distant from any structural requirements. Very Happy

Post 21 Apr 2013, 13:08
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
128bpp sounds insane Smile - that's a full 32bit float for each of the RGBA channels, or is it structured differently?

I guess efficient memory management becomes at least as important as SSE/AVX-optimizing the image operations... Smile
Post 22 Apr 2013, 19:39
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
He claims the complexity of convolutions will be slower than memory - doubt it, but will we see. OpenEXR and HDRI images use 128bpp and greater. Digital composition was the necessity that birthed ILM.

I haven't played with the CLR C++ interface before. Not sure of the finesse required to interop from FASM. I need to take apart one of the plugin DLLs and have a look.
Post 22 Apr 2013, 23:24
f0dder

f0dder
Oh, I wasn't thinking about being memory constrained bandwidth-wise, but that the amount of memory required at this color depth (and resolutions you probably want to go along with it) are going to be high - especially if you want undo/redo support.
Post 23 Apr 2013, 16:38
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Undo support will probably be "save to disk", or maybe a single step. A preview of operations on a selection of image could reduce the need.
Post 24 Apr 2013, 02:54
DOS386

DOS386
> Imogen 128bpp image processor...

You don't need more than 16 bits per colour channel.

OVERKILL: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html (mostly audio, also a bit eye) Very Happy

Title: Hello World program compiles to 100 KB !!!

Post 28 Apr 2013, 14:47
f0dder

f0dder
DOS386: that article is good, but you're comparing audio to video, and customer-release format to intermediary production format.
Post 28 Apr 2013, 20:50
DOS386

DOS386
f0dder wrote:
comparing audio to video, and customer-release format to intermediary production format.

Indeed (for images):

customer-release format: 8 bppc

intermediary production format: 16 bppc (or 32 bppc if you badly have to perform 1'000'000's of edits ...)
Post 29 Apr 2013, 05:49

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: