flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > using RAW ramdisk (no filesystem) ?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
hi guys,
is that possible to use RAW ramdisk, no filesystem?

eg, after my application start,
i create a raw ramdisk, maybe 10MB only, to store scripts, hta application and those unencrypted stuffs,

then i init my application from there, at least make it harder than plain text for people to copy?

so the ramdisk drive doesn't shows up in my computer,

any advice?
Post 19 Feb 2013, 10:37
HaHaAnonymous

HaHaAnonymous
[ Post removed by author. ]

Last edited by HaHaAnonymous on 28 Feb 2015, 21:23; edited 1 time in total
Post 19 Feb 2013, 10:45
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i was thinking like writing as if writing to memory,
and using third-party tools like imdisk to mount that virtual raw partition for a drive (no filesystem) then using it.

at least, normal person will have trouble to copy it as if copy from FAT32 or NTFS drive.
Post 19 Feb 2013, 10:53
f0dder

f0dder
What you're asking doesn't really make any sense. How would you launch anything without a filesystem?

You'd need to hook a whole big boatload of API functions to be able to even attempt doing this - and at that point, there's really no reason to even use a raw ramdisk, you might as well be dealing with a plain old memory block.

If this is your best idea, give up trying to prevent people from snooping around Smile
Post 19 Feb 2013, 23:34
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
f0dder wrote:

How would you launch anything without a filesystem?

idk, maybe that is possible, i mean like memory block? i guess, but idk,

f0dder wrote:

If this is your best idea, give up trying to prevent people from snooping around

well, i guess this is the best i could think of now,
because filesystem allow people to copy & paste, (easily)

i was thinking bout using truecrypt, open the encrypted file from program, read & write to it, what you think?
Post 20 Feb 2013, 06:29
f0dder

f0dder
sleepsleep wrote:
i was thinking bout using truecrypt, open the encrypted file from program, read & write to it, what you think?

It sounds overkill unless you have a very good reason for it. And it still mounts as a drive letter.

What is it you're trying to protect against snooping, and why?

Post 20 Feb 2013, 17:16
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
trying to protect a HTA application that even notepad can open,

i coded a sock server to handle xmlhttp request, so HTA can interface third party hardware through socket,

any dll calling could be made from HTA,
GUI would be in javascript or vbscript or jscript and simple HTML or jquery.

then openbsd nginx would deal with database access, using xmlhttp too.

i want to protect it because i am thinking bout selling it,,,at least make it little bit hard to just copy and paste.
Post 20 Feb 2013, 19:49
comrade

comrade
They will figure it out...
Post 22 Feb 2013, 10:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
comrade wrote:
They will figure it out...
+1.

The only way you have any kind of chance to succeed in obfuscating your code is by keeping it entirely clientside. And even then, please do remember that reverse engineers have been able to duplicate functionality whether it was locked away in dongles or kept server-side (without any server hacking, mind you). It's only a matter of time and interest.

If you're doing it for fun, by all means go on with the "raw ramdisk" approach, it'll probably be fun.

If you're doing it for business reasons, do some light protection/obfuscation e.g., run javascript through Googles Closure compiler - something you should already be doing, do a few other things that you won't waste too much time doing but will keep the least-skilled from ripping you off... that way you also won't become an interesting target for the really skilled guys. Once you've done that minimal amount of work, which you'll be over and done with in no time, focus on providing the unique value that'll interest the honest people in paying for your product.

Post 22 Feb 2013, 14:12

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: