flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > $99 Parallella supercomputer appears on Kickstarter

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
mmix

mmix
Hi, this is my first post, want to show you parallella.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone

Quote:

The Parallella project is being launched by Adapteva, a semiconductor startup company founded in 2008. The core development team consists of Andreas Olofsson, Roman Trogan, and Yaniv Sapir, each with between 10 and 20 years of industry experience. The team has a strong reputation of executing on aggressive goals on a shoe string budget. Our latest Epiphany-IV processor was designed in a leading edge 28nm process and started sampling in July, demonstrating 50 GFLOPS/Watt. To put this perspective, consider that the Epiphany energy efficiency specs are within striking distance of the 2018 goals set by DARPA for the high profile Exascale supercomputing project.
Post 16 Oct 2012, 12:44
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
thumbs up,

imagine the day everybody got a supercomputer at home, wondering what the world changing lifestyle would come...

any idea what normal users, home users could come up with massive parallel computing power?
Post 16 Oct 2012, 14:57
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
sleepsleep wrote:
imagine the day everybody got a supercomputer at home, wondering what the world changing lifestyle would come...
We already have that. The definition of supercomputer changes over time to increasingly higher performance to keep up with technology. The average computer now, if taken back ~20 years, would be considered a supercomputer. So, you already have one. I hope you are using for more than just youtube and pron. Razz
Post 16 Oct 2012, 22:56
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
l_inc

l_inc
Just watched the second video from the linked page. "The answer is 42 !!!" is kinda symbolizing by itself, but being a matrix multiplication result it makes me think, there might be a "lockitron" somewhere...
Post 16 Oct 2012, 23:23
uart777

uart777
Interesting. "We're told: Don't try to think, don't try to innovate and make it better". We must always believe that there is a better way that we haven't discovered yet. Never discourage people from thinking, this idea hinders the evolution of technology
Post 17 Oct 2012, 05:30
hopcode

hopcode
one should provide an iron-stomach to survive the punch while pronouncing those cacophonies:
ADAPT-eva, PARA-LL-E-LL-A. in spanish would be something like
"adauftéfa" and "pàrra-jè-ja" !
nonenthless i read docs for one hour. confusing goals, and promising to much after prossible investors.
the idea sounds anyways interesting and simple. cpu+acceelerator.

@revolution, dont you find ARM, as cpu there, interesting ?
Cheers,

Post 17 Oct 2012, 10:15
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
revolution wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:
We already have that. The definition of supercomputer changes over time to increasingly higher performance to keep up with technology. The average computer now, if taken back ~20 years, would be considered a supercomputer. So, you already have one. I hope you are using for more than just youtube and pron. Razz

Laughing
yeah, definitely more than youpron Smile Laughing

i think for general people, it is like extending the way of communication.
of course there is a limit how fast we could communicate, how fast we could make decision,

so maybe super multi parallel computing only benefit directly to gamers? perhaps Question
Post 17 Oct 2012, 10:54
revolution

revolution
hopcode wrote:
@revolution, dont you find ARM, as cpu there, interesting ?
Sure, but there is a lot more to this than meets the eye. For me the interconnection is going to be the most interesting portion. If that is done well then it could be good. If done badly and is a huge bottleneck then not so good. Ultra-highly parallel tasks tend to be quite rare so inter-CPU communication and data bandwidth will be of paramount importance.
Post 17 Oct 2012, 11:26
hopcode

hopcode
yes, its'all in the arbitration hardware and in the network interconnections,
mesh 2 mesh. i see the implementation in Epiphany very simple/efficient. because linear (where to quote an example, on the contrary,
i have lot of difficulty to imagine what happens in a bulldozer with its modules, or in a MIC, wher i think one can only illude himself that a compiler can solve the problem on so self-bound hardware).

i imagine that a compiler here can generate easily optimized code for the network.
then the fact that cpu and network operates at the same freq, see 6.1.5,
http://www.adapteva.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/epiphany_arch_reference_3.12.10.03.pdf
gives lot of space for technological improvements, and gives stable
advantages/performances to non-FP-code too.

it seems to me they have resolved the problem as exactly in the same way one would resolve it in software. dividing the matter in sub-routines.
and the sub-routine are not leaf here, but interconnected for awareness by dispatching general code (e/c/xMesh), and to be more greedy on the same deep computation.

Post 17 Oct 2012, 14:04
revolution

revolution
hopcode wrote:
i imagine that a compiler here can generate easily optimized code for the network.
I wouldn't be so sure about that:
Donald Knuth wrote:
The Itanium approach...was supposed to be so terrific—until it turned out that the wished-for compilers were basically impossible to write.
Trying to rely upon compilers to solve any difficulties is probably a poor path to follow.
Post 17 Oct 2012, 14:18
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
It's quite impressive, but I think it's too bad none of these mini computers supports the use of real storage media.
Why do they only support SD cards and no SATA interface for instance? That's really the only thing that's missing. It has decent memory, enough USB connections for a keyboard and a hub, great video capabilities, an Ethernet connection and it's minuscule.

I'd totally use one exclusively if it had the ability to connect to a 2.5"/3.5" disk.

EDIT: seeing their survey results, this seems to be one of the features people miss most:
Quote:

5.) What feature is missing on the Parallella board?

More RAM 42.50%
PCIe 11.90%
HDD 9.10%
More performance (with more power, no free lunch!) 13.70%
Other (View all) 16.40%

(other: USB 3.0, SSD, SATA, ADC)

Perhaps one day... Smile
Post 18 Oct 2012, 11:34
mmix

mmix
Quote:

More evidence that the Epiphany multicore processor is a proper CPU

We are running about a day behind schedule in regards to updates this week, but things are moving forward quickly with the Parallella hardware platform.

We have now documented two more test cases to show that the Epiphany multicore processor is much more than just a floating point coprocessor. The Epiphany processor was designed to be an accelerator, but it's definitely NOT a GPU. It runs ANSI-C code like a regular CPU, but shouldn't be confused with powerful x86 processors. In a nutshell, the Epiphany multicore processor is really a new type of animal with its own set of features.

The following video shows a simple demo running on a Parallella prototype board with an Epiphany-III processor chip sitting on an FMC daughter card connected directly to an ARM-A9 SOC sitting on the carrier card. The final Parallella board will have all the components integrated on a single small board, but the basic system design will remain.(more on the Parallella board design tomorrow!) The example shows how work can be offloaded from an ARM A9 CPU to run more effectively in parallel on Epiphany processor.

The second example shows the results from running the open source CoreMark® benchmark from EEMBC® on the 28nm Epiphany-IV processor chip (EMEK4 eval kit). Amazingly, the Epiphany architecture reaches performance levels on par with server class microprocessors once all 64-cores are can work together, despite consuming less than 2 Watts at the chip level. Here is the full white paper.
http://www.adapteva.com/white-papers/more-evidence-that-the-epiphany-multicore-processor-is-a-proper-cpu/

Post 18 Oct 2012, 12:01
mmix

mmix
ATM,

3,209 Backers

$557,332 pledged of $750,000 goal

Post 25 Oct 2012, 21:42
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
That's great! It's up 100,000$ compared to last week IIRC.
Post 26 Oct 2012, 06:13
hopcode

hopcode
hi mmix,
do you like the thing ? why ?

Post 26 Oct 2012, 11:38
mmix

mmix
hi hopcode,
i like new type of computer, old thing isn't innovative.
Post 26 Oct 2012, 11:52
mmix

mmix
update your pledge! :D

ATM,

3,874 Backers

$707,017 pledged of $750,000 goal
Post 26 Oct 2012, 20:41
mmix

mmix
Got funded! :D
Post 27 Oct 2012, 01:37
hopcode

hopcode
i am very glad for it, for the linearity of that architecture.
do i go too far if i dare saying it is a new frontier ?
Cheers,

mmix, you have a PM from me.

Post 27 Oct 2012, 04:04

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: