flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Keyless Entry Using Your Phone

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
TmX

TmX
Say hello to Lockitron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1L3o88GKew

Kinda cool.
I think I'll buy 1 one 2, and then install it at my house or office.
And of course, hopefully my phone is not out of battery, or power failure is not happened when I'm going through the doors.

Hehe..
Post 06 Oct 2012, 07:18
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
.. and it will likely be easier to pick than a normal keyed lock.

I don't think that electronic locks are there yet. Too many unknowns and too little time to mature. Plus the problem of the failure mode, due to things like loss of power, faulty circuitry/connection, DoS attacks, etc.; will it fail open or closed?
Post 06 Oct 2012, 08:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JohnFound

JohnFound
As a rule, the door locks are powered by batteries. They need very little power, so it is good solution.
But I am not sure this lock will be safe enough. The security is a big issue for such a devices. If it uses Internet for communication, it is probably vulnerable.
Post 06 Oct 2012, 08:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
TmX

TmX
JohnFound wrote:
The security is a big issue for such a devices. If it uses Internet for communication, it is probably vulnerable.

If i'm not mistaken, is stated in the video that this device uses the same protocol used by banks, so it should be relatively secure.

Anyway, I think I'll put this on my office door, not for security reason, but for coolness factors:
- I don't need to touch the door. It will automatically unlocked every time I go through it.
- Every time people try to open my door, I will be notified.
- If people want to get into my office room, and I'm somewhere else, I can unlock them remotely.

Hehe Razz
Post 06 Oct 2012, 15:31
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
TmX wrote:
If i'm not mistaken, is stated in the video that this device uses the same protocol used by banks, so it should be relatively secure.
Don't be fooled by fancy protocol names. It is all about how it is used, not what is used. I would wait to see some proper testing of the system(s) before going crazy and installing them anywhere.
Post 07 Oct 2012, 00:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
l_inc

l_inc
LOL. Actually, every native Russian speaker will know right after the first sentence of the video how trustworthy the thing is. Am I right, JohnFound?
Post 07 Oct 2012, 01:05
JohnFound

JohnFound
l_inc wrote:
LOL. Actually, every native Russian speaker will know right after the first sentence of the video how trustworthy the thing is. Am I right, JohnFound?

Laughing I got it now. It is really funny. Lockitron sounds as "lochotron" (лохотрон) - hard for translation Russian word, something like "fraud" but with some shade of meaning. Smile

Post 07 Oct 2012, 02:02
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
TmX

TmX
revolution wrote:
TmX wrote:
Don't be fooled by fancy protocol names. It is all about how it is used, not what is used. I would wait to see some proper testing of the system(s) before going crazy and installing them anywhere.

Sure. Some proper testings are required.
Until then, I consider this thing as a toy.

BTW, it's Arduino based, so I think it's not that hard to build such thing yourself.
Post 07 Oct 2012, 10:24

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: