flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > my first 64bit CPU will roxxx!

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
edfed

edfed
i can't wait no longer my laptop I7 3612QM 16GB RAM 256GB SSD 1TB HDD geforce 650M 1920*1080p 17" bluray usb3 with win7 to arrive. Wink
Post 13 Sep 2012, 23:00
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
Why those specs on a laptop instead of a normal workstation? Sounds like something that won't be super portable (battery wise, and weight-wise since it's a 17"), more expensive than desktop counterparts, etc. Just curious, *working* mobility has always been an important factor for my laptops.

Also, remember to have a 100% automated and working backup plan for the SSD. They die unexpectedly and without warning, even the enterprise ones.
Post 13 Sep 2012, 23:29
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
one awesome i7 lappy,
glad you got it edfed,!

16GB ddr3 ram is awesome!!
Post 14 Sep 2012, 03:50
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
A 17" laptop sounds awful. I used to have a 15" and it was awful. Heavy to transport and awkward to see the whole screen in a confined space (like in an aeroplane seat). My current laptop is 11.6" and much lighter and easier to deal with. I don't use it for heavy computations so I don't need a power snarfing CPU. For writing code it is about 1000x faster than it needs to be, but trying to find a slower CPU is not possible these days, the minimum speed is already very fast.

BTW: Be careful about the cooling. With a big hungry CPU and GPU you will likely find the fan will need frequent replacing and also that the speed will throttle due to overheating even when the fan is running perfectly. In the confined space of a laptop getting heat out can be a major problem.
Post 14 Sep 2012, 03:59
r22

r22
Portable workstations like that are great!
A screen you can actually see, a huge SSD with a backup/data HDD, and enough RAM and CPU to have a few virtual machines running (web server, db server, dev/client environment).

QQ it's heavy/bulky, that's what you get when you want to do actual work and not just wave around something small/thin/trendy.
Post 14 Sep 2012, 13:42
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
typedef

typedef
edfed wrote:
i can't wait no longer my laptop I7 3612QM 16GB RAM 256GB SSD 1TB HDD geforce 650M 1920*1080p 17" bluray usb3 with win7 to arrive. Wink

Can I buy it from you Razz

Don't mind these haters. They simply can't afford one Very Happy
Post 14 Sep 2012, 20:59
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
17" could be very thin nowadays,

maybe less than 2 kilo? idk,

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptop/samsung_series_7_chronos_17inch.aspx
2.8 kg

imagine you can load virtualbox, multiple OS run concurrently, phew!!
battery, idk, all laptop battery sucks, i need one that could run 24 hours Smile

they should recycle the heat and light and put electricity generator inside laptop. better for people who want to off grid.

17" good to view lots of code Smile
Post 14 Sep 2012, 23:56
edfed

edfed
yep, it can view a lot of code, but for now, the problem is... how to configure the harddrives to have the best performances.

i want to put os in the hdd, and datas like music, movies, pictures (not enclined to be edited that much) in the ssd.

the hdd is 1TB, then, it can be enough for the moment, but when i will play with a lot of codes, with a lot of files and db, it will be just enough for system.

thing is that win7 suxx a lot, i just took it for tests and gaming.
i will put ubuntu tomorrow on a 300GB partition, and maybe reinstall 7 on another partition, cause i am affraid 7 is close to kill some sectors in the ssd after just some hours running. Smile

all in all, it is true that it will not really be a laptop, but a portable workstation.
the main reason is i am a biker, and i don't want to miss lan parties just cause i can't carry my pc. and other reasons, more or less importants, like forgeting the problem of electric spagghetis behind the desk, the absence of temptation to open it everyday (and risk to do a mistake like solder something that shouldn't...) etc... it is true that this 17" is really huge, and i can't imagine work long with it on my legs. Laughing
Post 19 Sep 2012, 21:06
f0dder

f0dder
edfed wrote:
i want to put os in the hdd, and datas like music, movies, pictures (not enclined to be edited that much) in the ssd.
I hope you swapped the two by accident, because that's would be utterly stupid. You'll want to use the SSD for your OS and programs, and possibly some of your data (the kind that has highly random I/O).

Photos, music and large data files with linear access go very well on a HDD.

Post 20 Sep 2012, 19:28
asmhack

asmhack
f0dder wrote:
edfed wrote:
I hope you swapped the two by accident, because that's would be utterly stupid. You'll want to use the SSD for your OS and programs, and possibly some of your data (the kind that has highly random I/O).

Photos, music and large data files with linear access go very well on a HDD.

you gain more ssd lifetime over data access 'speed'.? maybe.
Post 20 Sep 2012, 22:41
f0dder

f0dder
asmhack wrote:
you gain more ssd lifetime over data access 'speed'.? maybe.
The SSD failures I've seen & heard about hasn't been due to memory cells that wear out, but "well, I've just shit myself" (either persistant firmware fuckups like the SandForce controllers were known for, or... dunno, fried electronics?) - I don't think you're going to wear out the cells unless you're either purposefully trying to do so, or have really insane I/O going on.

But those other crashes? They do happen. Even my Intel X25-E (SLC-based enterprise SSD) died out of nowhere. Remember your backups.

Post 21 Sep 2012, 18:30
revolution

revolution
Indeed. SSDs are just not there yet. I prefer to wait an extra second or two and be sure that I will actually get my data back.
Post 22 Sep 2012, 00:48
f0dder

f0dder
Harddrives die as well, revolution - I prefer the extra speed SSDs give, since I need backups anyway Smile

I wish the fried-electronics and panicky-firmware things would be solved, though. In theory, SSDs should degrade a lot more gracefully than mechanical drives.
Post 22 Sep 2012, 10:39
revolution

revolution
f0dder wrote:
Harddrives die as well, revolution
I am not denying that, but they seem to be at least an order of magnitude more reliable. And considerably cheaper. And hold more data.
f0dder wrote:
I prefer the extra speed SSDs give, since I need backups anyway
So you aim more towards the "hot & crazy" end of the line? Although it seems there is more crazy than hot in current SSDs.

I wonder of there is an overall time saving? One can save perhaps minutes each day with an SSD but then suddenly lose many days while waiting for a drive to replace the dead & crazy SSD. Not forgetting the extra monetary cost also.
f0dder wrote:
In theory, SSDs should degrade a lot more gracefully than mechanical drives.
Aha. But the empirical evidence does not support that theory.
Post 22 Sep 2012, 11:27
JohnFound

JohnFound
In theory , the hard drives, as mechanical devices should be less reliable than the fully solid state SSDs.
Because of the friction.
But, there is no friction in the HDDs anymore. They use air bearings for the main drive shaft, the heads fly under the disks. The only ball-bearing remaining is the one on the shaft of the head moving motor. But the rotating speeds there are not so big, so the wearing is very small.
Actually the modern HDDs are very, very reliable devices, after 56 years of evolution.
Maybe after 40 more years, SSD will reach this reliability as well. Very Happy
Post 22 Sep 2012, 12:00
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
From my personal experience, even though SSD is not very reliable, the comfort it gives is such that I would not really want to switch back to HDD. It is not even about the saved time, but just simply about how comfortable it becomes to work even on modern operating systems when you have SSD under the hood.
And I store all my important data on external HDDs - the ones that have proven their reliability over the years. From my experience, HDD either fails quite quickly (within a few first years) or lasts almost indefinitely (like the 420 MB one from my first PC, which still works perfectly after 17 years of usage).
Post 22 Sep 2012, 12:10
f0dder

f0dder
revolution wrote:
So you aim more towards the "hot & crazy" end of the line? Although it seems there is more crazy than hot in current SSDs.
For SSDs yes, for girls no so much anymore Wink

As Tomasz says, for "normal end-users", you probably aren't saving a lot of time, but it's just a lot more pleasing experience... while you might not save a lot of wall-clock time, you save on annoyance and stress. And for some specific workloads, you can save some wall-clock time and a lot of stress (I hope I can convince my boss I need a SSD for my work laptop. I'm mainly doing CQ5 work, and 8 gigs of ram and a SSD would cut down massively on some of the frustrations developing for that system Wink).

revolution wrote:
f0dder wrote:
In theory, SSDs should degrade a lot more gracefully than mechanical drives.
Aha. But the empirical evidence does not support that theory.
Indeed - and as mentioned, I hope that will be resolved. But the SSD problems don't seem to be the memory cells wearing out (which should happen gracefully), but rather "something else".

JohnFound wrote:
But, there is no friction in the HDDs anymore. They use air bearings for the main drive shaft, the heads fly under the disks.
You still have the risk of head crashes, though. Does happen every now and then, and the actuator arms sometimes get stuck as well. Been a couple of years since I've had it happen, though.

JohnFound wrote:
The only ball-bearing remaining is the one on the shaft of the head moving motor. But the rotating speeds there are not so big, so the wearing is very small.
Perhaps it is. I've heard that, for 24/7 use systems, lubricants can dry out (or whatever), leading to stuck drives if you eventually do a power-down?

I've had more issues with harddrives than with SSDs, but to be fair I've owned a lot more HDDs than SSDs... and usually a failing HDD gives some warning before it's Game Over. The SSDs have died all of a sudden.

Post 22 Sep 2012, 12:42
edfed

edfed
and now, i finally have a very good internet bandwidth, and i can test it because this pc is really fast

cool, really cool!!!!

the question is, but what can i do with all this power now??????? please help!!!! Laughing
Post 11 Oct 2012, 22:22

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: