flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > The stale state of PC

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
kalambong

kalambong
The URL is at http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120905VL203.html

It is about a guy who's trying a new approach in PC software distribution. But that's not the main point.

What really hit home are the comments he made about the PC vendors, and he is right.

What the PC vendors have given us, since the 1980's, are essentially the same old thing - a fat and clumsy metal box as desktop PC and slimmer box as laptop.

While the innards (the CPUs, the chipsets, the GPUs) may have changed, the outside remains essentially stagnated.

Apple's success isn't by co-incident. Apple is successful not because it is better. Apple is successful because it offers something else, something other than that big and ugly metal box !!

Lemme quote that guy ---

Quote:
"If you look at the current PC market situation, OEM sales are flat and there has been a lack of optimism over the past several years. Some vendors have exited the market, while others like Dell and Hewlett Packard (HP) are downplaying the personal computing portion of their business. This is shocking because many of these companies are the innovators that built up the industry from its infancy."

Quote:
"On the other hand, the trend is not surprising if you look at historical sales growth, which was once exponential and then became linear, but is now flat or on the verge of decline. In addition, margins are approaching 0% for hardware sales and it seems that vendors make their money on ancillary areas such as services."

Quote:
"The problem in the market is commoditization. There is generally a lack of innovation on the part of the vendors, who have left it to Intel, Microsoft and the ODMs to advance the industry. Once upon a time this didn't matter because computers were slower and users always looked to the latest models for more horsepower, more storage capacity and more pixels in the display. However, the traditional focus on increased speed or better hardware specifications is no longer vital for users, and without differentiation, vendors increasingly compete on price, leaving them to face diminishing returns over the past 10 years."

Quote:
"The exception has been Apple, which has seen its computing resurgence due to its ability to differentiate. But what if Apple lowers its prices and the price umbrella that other PC vendors have been working under goes away. Or what if Microsoft decides that OEMs are irrelevant and decides to design and market PC devices itself; and we have already seen that shoe drop. This could be a huge change in the industry, where your biggest supplier is also your competitor."

"But apart from Apple, PC vendors are in denial."

Quote:
"Just look at what is going on with PC vendors. There is a lack of profit, a lack of innovation and their customers are bored. These vendors think they are in the hardware industry, but they need to realize it is not hardware they need to sell, but solutions. It sounds cliche, but if you look at Apple and what it is doing, you can see that companies can be profitable and differentiated, by delivering systems that are relevant to consumers."

Quote:
"Apple has been rewarded with high margins and high customer satisfaction. Other OEMs see this and think that if they develop hardware that looks like the Mac Air, customers are going to be happy; but they are kidding themselves."

Quote:
"The key to differentiation for these OEMs is to look for innovation rather than standardization, and they need to understand that it is through software that customers can take advantage of the hardware they provide. To make an analogy, you can't use a PC without good software any more than you can use a good car without gasoline. But PC vendors seem to be solely focusing on hardware designs. Everything else is the customer's problem."

Quote:
"And the industry also needs to recognize that when it comes to stagnation, it's not only in hardware. There is also stagnation in the development community. Sure there is custom development for the enterprise, but nobody sees that in the mass market and it certainly doesn't inspire anyone to buy a PC."

Quote:
"When I talk about cultivating a relationship between software developers and PC hardware, I am not speaking about developing for something like Metro. I am speaking about developing software specifically to take advantage of the hardware features of PCs. System OEMs have basically abandoned their relationship with developers and left it all to Microsoft."

Quote:
"There needs to be a whole new category of software that takes advantage of what the PC has to offer. For example, OEMs have recently been focusing on the trend of cloud computing, but that focuses on the network, rather than on the computing device. Whole new categories of software need to be developed that take advantage of the incredible lack of latency a PC has, rather than facilitating things through a cloud. Hardware makers need to enable software that use every bit of storage and manipulate every pixel on the screen. The only category that comes close at this point is gaming programs that do simulation."

Quote:
"There is potential with visualization programs, simulation programs, etc, that provide immediate and rapid interaction between a PC user and the device. Stock traders are another example. They need to manipulate enormous amounts of information - visually not numerically - and a PC can do that locally. The user simply downloads huge chunks from a database and then manipulates it all locally."

Quote:
"If new and exciting software is developed that can take advantage of the strong suits of PC, meaning they are immediate and can access all the processing power, it will drive users to seek better systems that can best run these programs. That is what used to drive the market."
Post 09 Sep 2012, 03:35
typedef

typedef
Don't worry my friend. Soon we'll have an implantable computer chip that will enhance the brain's processing speed and calculations. Though I feel bad for the future generations because Math and Physics questions in Schools won't be "solve for X" anymore. The future Math exercise will be like:
find the equation used to generate this sine wave ("ding_dong.wav"), in 1micro second, in class.
Post 09 Sep 2012, 05:51
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
kalambong wrote:

the outside remains essentially stagnated.

i always choose to buy the standard ATX casing,
many OEM offers mini, slim or different kind of casing but requires unique shape power supply.

if the board is gone, you can't buy standard motherboard and replace because the back holes area are totally different and most of the time, they don't fit.

i imagine the day,

where we got a new kinda of pc,
we can stack up as much cpu as we like,

like putting lots of mini cpu, embedded cpu and they will just work together.
Post 09 Sep 2012, 08:38
kalambong

kalambong
sleepsleep wrote:
i imagine the day,

How about CPU the comes in the formfactor of PCMCIA card?

http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=14565
Post 09 Sep 2012, 23:51
kalambong

kalambong
typedef wrote:
Don't worry my friend. Soon we'll have an implantable computer chip that will enhance the brain's processing speed and calculations. Though I feel bad for the future generations because Math and Physics questions in Schools won't be "solve for X" anymore. The future Math exercise will be like:
find the equation used to generate this sine wave ("ding_dong.wav"), in 1micro second, in class.

If that's the case, then they will have hot-pluggable accessories that can boost the processing speed

But come back to the stale state of PC - it's sheer laziness on the part of the PC ecosystem that had given all of us that ugly boxen since the 1980's.

I guess humans are lazy. Once we got a formfactor that works we just stop innovating.

Same things with cars - metal box sitting on four wheels

Same thing with planes - metal tube with wings

Same thing with books, panels, buildings, and so on

If our human civilization is to become great, we must break out of this mundane mentality - good enough is never good enough and we must encourage more destructive innovations to occur
Post 09 Sep 2012, 23:56
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Function >>> form

I don't care what my PC looks like as long as it performs its task without error.
Post 10 Sep 2012, 00:08
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
typedef

typedef
kalambong wrote:
I guess humans are lazy. Once we got a formfactor that works we just stop innovating.
Same things with cars - metal box sitting on four wheels

Same thing with planes - metal tube with wings

Same thing with books, panels, buildings, and so on

@kalambong I agree with what you said, but also consider this.
revolution wrote:
Function >>> form

What really matters is the functionality not the looks. Do not judge a book by its cover. However if all the books are the same, paper inside and hard/soft cover outside, then judgement will indeed be present. But do you read the covers or what's written in the book?
Post 10 Sep 2012, 01:44
JohnFound

JohnFound
It is the standards that makes the computers look the same. And it is more good than bad.
BTW, there are many non-standard shaped computers recently. With mini-nano-pico-ITX form factors you can get very small PC.

There is another solution as well - DIY computer case.
Post 10 Sep 2012, 04:34
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
typedef

typedef
Imagine having a gaming rig cooled by water. You could spend nights playing games and not worry about overheating it.

But the electricity bills.
Post 10 Sep 2012, 06:45
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
kalambong wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:
i imagine the day,

How about CPU the comes in the formfactor of PCMCIA card?

http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=14565

yeah, read that on slashdot too,
and that is very awesome

that is human revolution,
Post 10 Sep 2012, 16:12
kalambong

kalambong
revolution wrote:
Function >>> form

Function > Form - This argument remains valid so long as there is no one sees the need to take a big leap forward

If there was no Linus Torvalds there would never be a "Linux" since nobody saw the need to start a new interpretation based on a proven OS (Unix)

I still remember, the year was 1991.

Several years before that, people were using DOS, OS/2, Windows 3.1, *nix, and were feeling very contented

It's all because of that crazy guy from Finland who posted that crazy message on Usenet on one October day, a disruptive innovation started to happen.

The same "Function > Form" argument can be applied to anything we use today, from computer to the house we live in, to the appliances we use, to the everyday routine that we do.

Have you ever wonder how come you still are doing the same thing you did 10 years ago?

If you never ask that, fine. You are content with what you are doing with your life.

But if you do, ask more. Dig deeper. Find out the reason why you are still doing the same-old-routine you did, like 10 years or 20 years ago.

Even the recipes that you use - it may have passed down from your great-great-grandmother - and if you are satisfied with that, fine also, keep on using it.

But if you are the adventurous type, you may like to experiment, and change some ingredients - may add some new ingredient, or alter the portions of some of them, etc ...

Go ahead, try it out --- who knows what kind of outcome it might be?

Maybe the new recipe will turn out really yucky. But even if it turns out yucky, you _still_ learn something.

But who knows? Maybe that new version of your great-great-grandmother's recipe turn out to be "better" !!

Talk about recipe, I remember a story told by my friend

He said, since he was a kid, he witnessed the way his mom baked meatloaf.

Halfway into the baking, his mom took out the meatloaf, cut it in half, and then, put the 2 half-length meatloaf back into the oven.

So now that he's all grown up, he cooks his meatloaf the way his mother did.

Until one day his daughter asked him why.

Yeah, "Why?"

So he went and ask his mom the same question: "Why?"

His mom also didn't know why. She learned it from her mom - my friend's grandmother.

So my friend went to his grandmother and ask "Why?"

Turns out that that his grandmother, back when she was doing all the cooking - like 50 years ago or so - didn't have that long-bake-pan.

So, she had to cut the meatloaf in half, and then put them back into the oven.

See ... this "Function > Form" mentality could be practical.

But it also can become so routine that we stop to ask "Why?"

And when we stop to ask question, we stop progressing.

Me? I never stop asking question, even when I was a little boy, I asked so many questions that my teacher actually ordered me to sit down and keep my mouth shut.

Did that keep my mouth shut? LOL !! I sure hope not Laughing

Anyway, sorry for this long post, and sorry for the many days of delay in reply.

Thanks for reading !
Post 11 Sep 2012, 10:14
AsmGuru62

AsmGuru62
Interesting read (nice writing, btw!) however it is hard to believe that if Torvald was not there, then no one else would
have had the idea of an alternative OS.
It would have been named differently, but I am sure it would exist.
It would have been a different timeline, just like new Star Trek.
Post 11 Sep 2012, 12:37
typedef

typedef
AsmGuru62 wrote:
just like new Star Trek.

Aaaaaaaah!

I see who you are now. lol
Post 11 Sep 2012, 17:40
Alphonso

Alphonso
typedef wrote:
Don't worry my friend. Soon we'll have an implantable computer chip that will enhance the brain's processing speed and calculations.
Maybe take over instead. Idk if that is a good idea, I'm sure my spelling has become worse due to auto 'spelling checkers' on the OS. Perhaps the more reliant we become on computers the less we can do for ourselves.

They do seem to be pushing towards a smaller form factor, maybe in a decade or two people will be reminiscing about the old days and that big box that had stuck on their desk for computing. Smile
Post 12 Sep 2012, 05:48
revolution

revolution
I remember the days when computers filled rooms. Those were real computers. Not like the ridiculous things you get now with OSes written by someone else, and big companies deciding for you what you can and cannot do. You young whipper-snappers don't know what a real computer is. Pfft.

Oh, and, get off my lawn you pesky kids!

Smile
Post 12 Sep 2012, 06:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Alphonso

Alphonso
lol, giving your age away there Rev Very Happy

Well back then you didn't have so many bits to worry about, the CPU of today really has come quite along way and a lot more complex.

Would you give an example of what the big companies have decided that you can or can not do?
Post 12 Sep 2012, 06:18
revolution

revolution
Alphonso wrote:
lol, giving your age away there Rev Very Happy
Yep, I'm older than 18.
Alphonso wrote:
Would you give an example of what the big companies have decided [w]hat you can or can not do?
Apple iAnything. MS Win8. Amazon Kindle. Google Android. US mobile phone networks.
Post 12 Sep 2012, 06:39
revolution

revolution
And we can add Sony to the list:

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/28551-latest-vita-firmware-adds-new-drama

Big Brother is already here, you just didn't notice it yet.
Post 24 Sep 2012, 07:11

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: