flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Do you keep all the codes you've written?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
TmX

TmX
I think it's pretty common for people who work in software houses to keep all the codes they have written while working at previous companies before.

Their rationale is: reusability. You don't need to write things from zero. Just modify it to suit your need.

Some people say that this is bad. As long as you work for a company, all the codes you've written become their property. The other people say as long as it's not prohibited by the contract, then it's fine.

I keep all of my works, not because I'm going to rebrand it, but for snippet reference. Things like custom GUI component, HTTP service, are very common, and I don't feel to rewrite it again and again.

Honestly I'm still not clear how to deal with this problem. Maybe it is governed by local law, or a certain company ethics?
Post 07 Sep 2012, 13:30
MHajduk

MHajduk
No, not all codes but the most of them. Some pieces of code seem to me too obsolete or naive, so I remove them from the electronic devices and even burn the physical printouts of the listings in my oven.

The fact is that we can't be slaves of what we did in the past, some programming habits may be wrong and harmful for our inventiveness. Mother Nature in her infinite wisdom also doesn't allow us to remember everything. Mechanism of forgetting is a natural and healthy way to stay creative. Wink
Post 07 Sep 2012, 13:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TmX

TmX
MHajduk wrote:

The fact is that we can't be slaves of what we did in the past, some programming habits may be wrong and harmful for our inventiveness.

I think you're right. Sometimes I prefer to rewrite instead of merely copy-pasting. When I rewrite, I think how to design my code in better way.
Post 07 Sep 2012, 14:02

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: