flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Linux users: 1% & superiority complex

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eduardo

Eduardo
Sorry if a seemed a weirdo. Replaying PeExecutable high at night let my mind unstable. Nothing against him.
I installed all the updates up to august 2014 after a fresh instalation of sp3 iso. In qemu.
Atom dual core with HTT, was running some heavy tasks.
Post 06 Aug 2015, 15:26
typedef

typedef
revolution

Quote:
It should never be the sole domain of the equipment maker to determine the MAC address

Quote:
At the most it can be the default with provision to override when required.

You're contradicting yourself.

Quote:
I can't tell our customers to go digging into their OS and start changing settings and whatnot

What kind of customers are your customers who call to have their MAC address changed?

Wink Also, one can tell what a company does by looking at its customer.
Post 09 Aug 2015, 00:29
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
typedef: If I need to clone a MAC address, say 00:11:22:33:44:55, I can't. The manufacturers MAC will always be the outgoing MAC. So MS have made it so that it is the sole domain of the equipment maker to determine the MAC address. It can only be changed when the LA bit is set, but no Ethernet card comes with this bit set, therefore we are always stuck with the manufacturers MAC. We can't clone a MAC because default MACs never have the LA bit set. Does that make sense? I seem to be having trouble explaining this for some reason.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter what my customers are doing or why, it is just part of the way things are connected and is a requirement in their industry. I can't change the rules. And Win7 has made it impossible to comply without doing some low level system changes. But note that in XP this issue never arises, the MACs can be freely changed. Same code, different OS ---> different outcome.
Post 09 Aug 2015, 01:25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
typedef

typedef
revolution
Quote:
If I need to clone a MAC address

Why? If it's a local address then why would you want to change it? I can change mine too but I don't have any reason to do so.

Are you trying to break into someone else's network perhaps? You still have steps to take before reaching that point btw.

Quote:
So MS have made it so that it is the sole domain of the equipment maker to determine the MAC address

Who else better than the manufacturer whose identifiable information it contained within the MAC address?

Assuming you know the Windows OS very well and that you are a developer, why not make a driver to change the address? Or better yet find already made tools online and quit complaining.
Post 09 Aug 2015, 01:47
revolution

revolution
typedef: All online tools have the same problem. And to make a driver it needs to be signed. Anyhow, it was in response to your question "What desktop OS doesn't let you have full control?", so I have done enough to show that Win7 does not let the user have full control.
Post 09 Aug 2015, 01:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tyler

Tyler
Can you change the init system with Windows? (For Win-centric people who may not use the same terminology, an init system is the first userspace process run by the kernel and the associated configuration system for controlling what that process does/starts.) You can with Gentoo. Gentoo is, I think, a very valuable learning experience. It gets old compiling everything, but the system they have in place to control build options and dependencies is the best I've ever seen on Linux. Don't want systemd (the new POS supersolution being pushed on Linux users now)? Oh, well just add "-systemd" to your USE flags and all packages that can be configured to not depend on systemd will be configured so and all packages that invariably depend on it won't be installed. Want all your packages to be compiled with SSE4.2? Just add the USE flag. Want any packages that has a compile option for threads to be built with threads enabled? Yep, there's a USE flag for that. Anyway, you get the idea. It's pretty nice.

My problem with Windows is just how difficult it was to install libraries and get them to work. It can't get any easier than:

Code:
$ sudo emerge boost
$ g++ main.cpp -lboost_?    

Well, that, and how it inevitably gets unbearably slow. There's no excuse for this. I boot Gentoo without an SSD in 15 seconds and I'm immediately able to start doing stuff. On the same computer, with Windows, I wait one minute to login, then another before anything becomes responsive. And I'm not the type to install random shit from all over the internet. My software collection is well curated, but that still doesn't fix the problem.

Superiority complexes are pretty rampant in software people in general (and probably in other technical fields, but I doubt it's as bad). If it's not OS, it's language. If it's not language, it's level of development (i.e. osdev vs native app vs web app vs ...) and so on. We're (that is to say, myself included, oftentimes) a bunch of autists self absorbed in our interests and with no value of other's interests. It wasn't until it hit me that there were other things I could have done with the last 6 years of my life that I realized that it's all subjective and people should just do what they expect will make them happy.
Post 09 Aug 2015, 04:10
PeExecutable

PeExecutable
If your windows startup is slow can be because your disks are slow, fragmented or the registry is fragmented or it could be that you have deleted the prefetch directory, it can also be an imbalance between prefetch and superfetch (you can adjust it in the registry).

The problem with some windows users is that they use the default settings, you really have to customize it to make it faster. For example, do you have a hundred icons on the desktop, it becomes very apparent that windows needs to load 100 icons from disk before the desktop becomes active. Do you have sounds enabled, then it needs to load those too. Do your superfetched programs rely in huge libraries, then it needs to load those huge libraries too. etc. It's not windows that is slow, windows actually loads very quickly.

What seems fast on linux may actually just be a delayed load, which isn't making linux faster, it just skips some of what it doesn't need.

You may also want to switch off services you don't use. Approximately all windows programs now come with automatic update, and when they all want to run at the same time, you're having more performance impact there. Make sure everything is switched off, and then take it from there. Also be aware that when some program want to auto update itself, it just may want to create a restore point too, and that takes time to complete. It doesn't necessarily tell you about it because restore points can be created programmatically through the API. If you turn off restore points, the API will fail for those programs and speed is saved. You can turn on restore points when you need it, create a restore point, then turn it off again afterwards.

There is a ton of features that you can turn off in the group policy editor. Have to remember that windows ships in a state that is set to fit most people, and I can guarantee you that you don't need even half of that. You may also want to uninstall unwanted features in windows.

Some people will tell you to keep windows on a small partition, perhaps 40 GB, but I actually recommend having windows on a huge partition. I've found (based on experience) that windows "slide" more smoothly over the time on a huge partition, I don't know why, it just seems to like huge partitions better.
Post 09 Aug 2015, 10:13
typedef

typedef
revolution wrote:
typedef: All online tools have the same problem. And to make a driver it needs to be signed. Anyhow, it was in response to your question "What desktop OS doesn't let you have full control?", so I have done enough to show that Win7 does not let the user have full control.

But you can run unsigned drivers still. Confused You know how to do that.

Anyway, apples vs oranges this topic is.
Post 09 Aug 2015, 11:59
revolution

revolution
I can't tell my customers to run unsigned drivers. They would run away screaming things about hackers and malware.. For me personally I can do it, yes. But I'm not the one that needs to change my MAC.
Post 09 Aug 2015, 13:25
typedef

typedef
revolution wrote:
But I'm not the one that needs to change my MAC.

But you wanted to clone a Mac address a few posts ago Confused

revolution wrote:
I can't tell my customers to run unsigned drivers. They would run away screaming things about hackers and malware.

But if they know about hackers and malware taking advantage of unsigned driver loading then they wouldn't be calling you.

Your story isn't adding up sir.
Post 09 Aug 2015, 18:02
revolution

revolution
typedef: Are you trying to say that I am just a WTF and that Win7 can change MAC addresses without any issue for everyone? You still didn't answer my query above about what I am doing wrong. I am still willing to learn my error and fix it. Can you help me?
Post 10 Aug 2015, 02:55
typedef

typedef
revolution wrote:
typedef: Are you trying to say that I am just a WTF and that Win7 can change MAC addresses without any issue for everyone? You still didn't answer my query above about what I am doing wrong. I am still willing to learn my error and fix it. Can you help me?

What error? And what is it that you are doing?

Give me your computer information. OS and hardware (motherboard, bios name and version, and your LAN/WiFi adapter).
Post 10 Aug 2015, 03:18
revolution

revolution
It is not just my machine. A simple google search shows lots of people running MAC changer programs and finding nothing happens unless they set the LA bit. So is everyone doing-it-wrong?
Post 10 Aug 2015, 03:58
typedef

typedef
A simple search also shows otherwise. But why would you not want to use the MAC address locally anyway? I think there are things to be worried about than changing a MAC address.
Post 10 Aug 2015, 12:35
revolution

revolution
Setting the LA bit is fine for all apps, but that can't be used to clone an existing MAC because existing MACs don't have the LA bit set. Hence the problem. Do you have solution for me?
Post 10 Aug 2015, 13:35
typedef

typedef
revolution wrote:
Setting the LA bit is fine for all apps, but that can't be used to clone an existing MAC because existing MACs don't have the LA bit set. Hence the problem. Do you have solution for me?

Yes. Stop worrying about MAC addresses and enjoy life... or drink cyanide. Smile
Post 10 Aug 2015, 19:02
shoorick

shoorick
as a linux user last years, I can say definitely: Linux users are much smarter in usage of Linux than other... Razz
Post 11 Aug 2015, 14:20
MHajduk

MHajduk
shoorick wrote:
as a linux user last years, I can say definitely: Linux users are much smarter in usage of Linux than other... Razz
+1 Smile
Post 11 Aug 2015, 15:49
typedef

typedef
shoorick wrote:

Just like pilots are much smarter at flying planes than bus drivers.
Post 12 Aug 2015, 09:29

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: