flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > FAT12 editing for free (sort of)

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Madis731

Madis731
I've been searching for an honest & free solution to editing floppy files, just to test some hobby OSs.

I've found a partial solution:
1) http://wiki.osdev.org/Fat_imgen - can extract and insert files (dirs NOT supported)
2) http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/ - can delete Wink files/dirs by searching for the first occurrance and deleting 32 bytes from that location (while adding space to the end of the list of course)

Has anyone gotten hands on a better set of tools?

Post 12 Jul 2012, 13:48
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Pretty much all alternative FOSS OSs (read *BSD and GNU/Linux distros) have a read-write support for FAT*.
Post 12 Jul 2012, 17:21
Madis731

Madis731
So, extending your answer, the tool for Windows might be VirtualBox (or any other virtualizer) with some small Linux on it, mounted with FAT12 image (in writable mode).
Post 12 Jul 2012, 19:54
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Feryno

Feryno
I'm using total commander and img plugin
http://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm
it is IMG(2) 1.6 plugin
Post 13 Jul 2012, 09:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
Unfortunately WinImage (IMG works out of the box) and Total Commander (with IMG(2)) are both shareware, but until today I didn't know that Total Commander had such a powerful plug-in capability Smile
Post 13 Jul 2012, 10:21
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Madis731, I'm confused. I thought you needed the source code for some project.

If that's not the case then why would you need it? Either you're a DOS/Windows user and you have build-in support for FAT* or you're a *nix user and you have access to "native" open-source drivers. Both of which fully support FAT*.
Post 13 Jul 2012, 11:22
Madis731

Madis731
What I need is a tool to make changes to a 1.38MB floppy image. 7-zip for example can open it, but its read-only. I don't have a floppy drive and even if I had, it would require me to write the image to floppy, make changes and pull the raw data back into an image (lets call it a workaround).

I would like to use the 1.38MB image as a simple read-writable archive, a folder etc.

Actually I have the "source code" Smile I've been using it for a while now to build my own images. Straight from FASM to bootable floppy image. It'd just take more effort to make a tool that later also modifies the image.
Post 13 Jul 2012, 14:35
Dex4u

Dex4u
I have written code that writes a floppy image to a USB fob, you can then use it as if you had a floppy drive.
Post 13 Jul 2012, 18:54
Madis731

Madis731
Yes, that is one solution, I've tried it myself. Read/writing USB can be a lot faster. Basically (I used HxD for this):
1) .IMG => USB
2) modify files
3) USB => .IMG
I just wish to lose steps 1 & 3 Smile

Depending on the complexity of the task, this one might be quicker than Fat_imgen (which is command line-based).

But if I just need to update a file in the IMG I can just use Fat_imget script, which then makes the job from assembling to starting a VM just one click.
Post 13 Jul 2012, 19:13

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: