flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Firefox 12 takes the wrong path (IMO)

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Steve: I wanted to note that v12 of Firefox is out. [...] And what they did with v12, Leo, is they are - they've engineered around the user account control popup in Windows. They've got a process that they're able to start.

[...]

Leo: That doesn't seem like a good idea.

Steve: Well, unfortunately, this is - they're trying to get - and I agree with you. And I brought up that point last week because you'd hope that the bad guys can't somehow...

Leo: If there's a way to do that, we don't really want to publicize that.

Steve: So, but the problem is what - and we've talked about this before, where we know Mozilla is trying to go where Google has gone with transparent updates so that it's just continually keeping itself current and fixing problems on the fly without requiring any user interaction. So this, so v12, which is now out, is - it's not quite to automatic seamless updates. But they have now avoided the user account control so that they, presumably with proper protection, are able to update without providing you - without putting that dialogue in your face. And with 13, which is now in beta, they've finished that, or they will when it comes out of beta.
I don't understand why they feel the need to bypass the OS with a privileged process. The user has decided to receive warnings so respect the user's preferences, don't go doing your own thing. FF, you are an app, not a driver. Leave my OS alone. You have no business requiring administrator privileges for anything. Especially since you are connecting to the Internet all the time. I wholly agree with Leo "That doesn't seem like a good idea."

Perhaps I can also mention that I think automatic updates is a bad idea. Yet another path for malware and hackers to give me bad things. And when combined with having admin privilege to install itself ... ugh, no thanks, I will not be going there.
Post 10 May 2012, 03:56
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
typedef

typedef
This will easily be exploited trust me. I'm going to post this on my hacking forums too.

Just inject a thread in that process and it'll log all the keys and send them over the net. It'll do all the work.

+1 For Mozilla.
Post 10 May 2012, 05:28
YONG

YONG
Should I need to worry about that? I am using FF12 right now! Shocked
Post 10 May 2012, 06:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Stephen

Stephen
revolution wrote:
Perhaps I can also mention that I think automatic updates is a bad idea. Yet another path for malware and hackers to give me bad things. And when combined with having admin privilege to install itself ... ugh, no thanks, I will not be going there.

Dam, last night, Microsoft just auto updated Media player ver 10 on my 32 bit machine with Media player ver 11 64 bit. Then I had to verify my OS with Microsoft, download the 32 bit ver, manually install it, verify my OS again. As soon as I'm done and try to shut down it's trying to auto update me again with the 64 bit ver. Auto update sucks.

I'm not even letting them see the hardware on my render farm computers, who knows what they will update or what hardware they will decide they don't like...

Post 10 May 2012, 07:03
typedef

typedef
YONG wrote:

It's part of the game. Get Chrome sir.
Post 10 May 2012, 13:56
TmX

TmX
typedef wrote:
YONG wrote:

or elinks Very Happy
Post 10 May 2012, 15:57
r22

r22
Public software has to cater to the public. The public, hates clicking popups, warnings, and verifications.

If IE6 had auto-update Microsoft IE9 would be king of the market share right now. Also, there would be hundreds of thousands less bot net infected computers.

Anti-Virus and Fire-Wall are for dealing with threats; regular software just has to cater to its users (be easy to use and seamlessly update/improve itself).
Post 10 May 2012, 19:34
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Enko

Enko
When I load my firefox, it says, "sorry, the update couldn't be...... there is another instance of firefox...." Even if its on clean reboot.
Post 10 May 2012, 20:07
typedef

typedef
^^butt-hurt are you ? Make sure you're not a bot.... just saying
Post 10 May 2012, 23:45
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
r22 wrote:
Public software has to cater to the public. The public, hates clicking popups, warnings, and verifications.
Maybe true, but the public has the option of turning off the UAC if they wish to. It should not be the job of FF to override the users choice. Auto-updates has the same problem, some remote programmer should not have the right to update code in another persons machine at their whim. FF has no idea how or what people do with their machines and updating things at FF's whim could break any number of things.
Post 11 May 2012, 03:58
YONG

YONG
TmX wrote:
typedef wrote:
YONG wrote:

or elinks Very Happy
But I like FF. The pronunciation of "Chrome" sounds ugly to me! Wink Alright, I'll give Chrome a try!
Post 11 May 2012, 05:08
typedef

typedef
Actually get COMODO Dragon. Fast and secure.
http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php
Post 11 May 2012, 05:41
Enko

Enko
YONG wrote:

But I like FF. The pronunciation of "Chrome" sounds ugly to me! Wink [size=2]Alright, I'll give Chrome a try!

How do you pronunce?

K-ROM? (kroʊm).

or

CH-ROM? (tʃroʊm) (Like Chicago, Church)?
Post 11 May 2012, 13:47
typedef

typedef
Chrome as Chrome....the metal
Post 11 May 2012, 14:45
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Post 11 May 2012, 15:45
JohnFound

JohnFound
I am posting this from QtWeb browser.
It is WebKit based with Qt interface. It really seems to be "lightweight" - it uses 40MB where Firefox eats 100MB.
I am searching for FF replacement since version 4. Actually I don't like Chrome and in fact don't trust google, so it is not an option.
Post 11 May 2012, 20:10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
bubach

bubach
I support the Nordic countries, in this case Norway - so Opera browser 100% for me! Actually it's not half bad! Smile

EDIT, I have also noticed that the adblock plugin for Opera successfully block many things that break with adblock in FF. Like our local web-tv solutions used here in Sweden. If i wanted to watch a program in FF with adblock, nothing would play. Opera successfully blocks the ads and let me stream the video! Very Happy
Post 11 May 2012, 20:24
YONG

YONG
Enko wrote:
YONG wrote:

But I like FF. The pronunciation of "Chrome" sounds ugly to me! Wink [size=2]Alright, I'll give Chrome a try!

How do you pronunce?

K-ROM? (kroʊm).

or

CH-ROM? (tʃroʊm) (Like Chicago, Church)?
It sounds like "Clone", meaning that it is just a COPY of something else! Wink
Post 12 May 2012, 04:28
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
been using firefox before it starts jumping version number insanely,,,

even flash nowadays got feature to auto update,

idk how long i will stick with firefox, noscript, flashblock, ghostery,
Post 12 May 2012, 18:56
JohnFound

JohnFound
BTW, in Bulgaria, Chrome sounds like "hrom". One of the meanings of this word, besides the metal is "crippled" with synonym "lame" . Very Happy
dictionary wrote:
ХРОМ
1 (куц) lame, crippled, limping.
2 хим. chromium, chrome.
Post 12 May 2012, 19:41
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: