flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > what is happening to games?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
AsmGuru62 wrote:
Does all this apply only to multiplayer games?
No.
AsmGuru62 wrote:
What about simple First Person adventure/shooting games on PC (not any ??? Box)?
Do they also have same issues?
Yes. There also with many of the latest games. The games companies seem to think it is perfectly okay to spy on you.
Post 12 Mar 2013, 14:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ACP

ACP
revolution wrote:
Yes. There also with many of the latest games. The games companies seem to think it is perfectly okay to spy on you.

While some games in fact contain some even very advance form of protection against cheating in order to defend virtual world economy that translates to real world revenue stream, others are probably more interested in getting users data and personal info since this could be another, even more interesting, income stream.
Post 12 Mar 2013, 15:44
malpolud

malpolud
ACP wrote:
Considering data storage solution (not only capacity but also access time) available to home computer users at that time those games were probably bigger than today 1,x Gb patch. And I'm still playing Impossible Mission on C64 emulator while I doubt I'll be playing some games from PS3 era after 20 years and marvel at gameplay and crossing of technical boundaries.

Yes and no. For instance: downloading 4 GB of data - size of an average game (on a regular, common network connection) takes lets say over an hour. 20 years ago instead of downloading stuff from the internet one was listening to the radio - there were some geek programs late at night. Games, and misc stuff were broadcasted directly between the rants, could be recorded on tapes and run on computers that supported that data storage. A game could be transmitted this way in a couple of minutes.

Beautiful, simple times. I wish my youth could happen in the 80s Wink

Post 12 Mar 2013, 20:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ACP

ACP
malpolud wrote:

Yes and no. For instance: downloading 4 GB of data - size of an average game (on a regular, common network connection) takes lets say over an hour. 20 years ago instead of downloading stuff from the internet one was listening to the radio - there were some geek programs late at night. Games, and misc stuff were broadcasted directly between the rants, could be recorded on tapes and run on computers that supported that data storage. A game could be transmitted this way in a couple of minutes.

Beautiful, simple times. I wish my youth could happen in the 80s Wink

Yes, I can tell from your description you have never done it probably yourself. It took many repeated attempts to save and to load the program and obviously not everything could be broadcast due to... size constrains or copyrights. It wasn't that simple as it sounds at all, and the quality of tapes and radio signal were different from place to place. While all turbo systems were based on some form of compression and/or higher pulse ratio missing one bit could result in bad load and auto-correction CRCs weren't used. On the other hand you are right: those were great times when passion driven people were creating new industry. Today it is just business much just like any other industry.
Post 12 Mar 2013, 22:13
malpolud

malpolud
Well, actually I know the pain of tape storage, my first computer was Atari 65xe, incredible machine. I still have it and never get rid of it!

And hey! It's not just business, there are still people driven by passion, for example here, on this board Smile
Post 13 Mar 2013, 19:30
ACP

ACP
malpolud wrote:
Well, actually I know the pain of tape storage, my first computer was Atari 65xe, incredible machine. I still have it and never get rid of it!

And hey! It's not just business, there are still people driven by passion, for example here, on this board Smile

All those 6502 based machines were cool and still are Smile And you are right fortunately there are still places like this board when not only passion but assembly language are welcome Wink
Post 13 Mar 2013, 20:32

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: