flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > what is happening to games?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
tthsqe

tthsqe
So I just got the new game BF3 (physical disk from the store) and in order to start playing I have to:

1. Download the program Origin
2. Install the game through Origin
3. To start teh game I had to go to a website that informed me I must download a 4.5 GB update to start playing

I am currently waiting for the download...
Post 13 Apr 2012, 02:35
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Take it back to the shop for a refund.

Tell the game company that this sort of nonsense is not going to be accepted.
Post 13 Apr 2012, 04:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
With Steam, Origin and co and the paranoia of the software industry (among others) regarding intellectual property, I bet *all* applications will only be available online in a few years time and they'll do away with physical media altogether.
Post 13 Apr 2012, 06:22
revolution

revolution
The game companies can only do this if the people accept it and keep buying.

Just stop buying all the games that need an always on connection and soon enough the game companies will have to change their policies to improve sales.

I haven't bought a game for many many years now because I refuse to comply with all this latest nonsense.
Post 13 Apr 2012, 06:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
typedef

typedef
revolution wrote:
The game companies can only do this if the people accept it and keep buying.

Just stop buying all the games that need an always on connection and soon enough the game companies will have to change their policies to improve sales.

I haven't bought a game for many many years now because I refuse to comply with all this latest nonsense.

Hahah, you are a winner. Very Happy

Clap clap
Post 13 Apr 2012, 06:37
revolution

revolution
It seems people are already doing the right thing.

US video game sales drop 25 percent in March
Post 13 Apr 2012, 08:27
edfed

edfed
lol.

i think the world would be quite different if it happened to the first pong or space invader game. happily, this kind of non sense feature is more a temporary try.
if it gives good results for games companies, the next step would be to give your credit card number + your blood group prior to register to a social network, where you will be able to win credits in order to activate your game.

facebook powa man, big brother is in all of us, but wake up only when we have money & powaaaaa!

be carefull then, to don't let your own big brother wake up. Smile

just consider one thing: the only cool thing with video games is to code it. not to play it (pure non-creative time waste).
Post 13 Apr 2012, 17:44
rugxulo

rugxulo
This is no huge surprise. Indeed rumors are that "next gen" consoles (currently in the works) may tie games to the specific machine/account exclusively. There have already been rumors that Sony and MS want to "kill" used games, as it loses profits for them (but that would hurt GameStop et al.). Who knows. (Didn't DivX do the same? Didn't that die a quick death? This was circa when DVD was first introduced, 1999? Why do we keep repeating the same unpopular mistakes?)

Yes, it's frustrating, and yes I hate games that do that. It's bad enough when an OS upgrade breaks a game or when the damn CD drive has to run at full speed just because they wouldn't let you "fully" install the damn thing due to DRM, but being so hostile to used gaming is very annoying. I sympathize with their heavy development costs these days, but I'm not sure this is the best solution. In particular, networks are wonky, and I wouldn't trust any bandwidth to support all these heavy downloads in the future, at least not without increasing infrastructure (and thus end user) costs.

I guess we should all support places like Good Old Games, which is completely DRM free. (The fact that they host lots of old classic DOS games impresses me too, heh.)

Wii U (next Wii) is supposedly due out near Christmas this year. And Sony PS4 (AMD64 + AMD/ATI gfx ??) is already in the works, as is XBox 720, and they pretty much all want to get a "head start" on the competition. I was always frustrated that they jumped the gun by abandoning the "old" XBox 1, but at least its successor had a long life so far (despite some hardware problems). PS3 was too expensive and had some problems, but at least they finally tweaked it and lowered the price to be reasonable. Wii was just cheap as hell and crossed over to the casual (non-hardcore) gamers, which is why it was so popular (despite being slightly underpowered).

P.S. I'm not much of a gamer (and much much less than in previous years, even), but it's still vaguely interesting. Though I can't say I want to buy any of the new machines, esp. not with all these weird changes (hardware, software, etc). I swear game makers more or less only exist to sell proprietary hardware. The fact that specific games only run on a certain machine really makes them annoying for historical archiving and future replayability. So it's hard to care, honestly, after you've had a bunch of consoles break, be discontinued, and nothing else can run the games. Meh. It's almost? just a waste of time buying something that will just die in a few years anyways. (Vanity of vanities!) Razz
Post 14 Apr 2012, 00:15
Inagawa

Inagawa
I would advise you guys to look at this video. It is precisely about this kind of thing (the commentary, the video itself is only a background) of being screwed-over by the game companies. But there is a shimmer of hope
Post 14 Apr 2012, 00:22
tthsqe

tthsqe
It is now even worse. I was actually thinking the new simcity 5 might be fun until I read this
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130305/14551022206/launch-day-punishment-simcitys-online-only-drm-locking-purchasers-out-servers-purchases.shtml
I am glad to say that that BF3 purchase was the last game I will ever buy.
Post 07 Mar 2013, 01:28
edfed

edfed
starcraftII is a mess too.

each days, you should download updates prior to play, and the loading time is really long.

but that's because gamers want a fast update cycle, with fast developped fancy textures etc.. then, developpers will not waste too much time in texture generation algorithms and will prefer make them from megabytes (if not giga) of bitmaps.

soon, HOST will be available, i think it will be worse than wings of liberty.
Post 07 Mar 2013, 10:56
revolution

revolution
At least it is accelerating the development of GPU cards, so that the other non-gamers can now get good computation hardware at a reasonable prices.
Post 07 Mar 2013, 11:07
edfed

edfed
revolution wrote:
At least it is accelerating the development of GPU cards, so that the other non-gamers can now get good computation hardware at a reasonable prices.

well spoted! Smile Wink
Post 07 Mar 2013, 11:19
typedef

typedef
PC Gamers are fucked. If you get the console version all you have to do is insert the disk and play.
Post 09 Mar 2013, 08:18
ACP

ACP
typedef wrote:
PC Gamers are fucked. If you get the console version all you have to do is insert the disk and play.

And then you have option to download 1.8Gb update... Unfortunately we live in world of constant updates & upgrades.
Post 09 Mar 2013, 11:34
revolution

revolution
Can you just say no to receiving the updates and play the original?

The idea of *requiring* an always-on Internet connection for single players games is also ludicrous. DRM is a bad thing IMO. Never buy a game with DRM. Ever. Just don't do it. Buy something else. Don't let the game companies spy on you. Don't let them control you and restrict your options.
Post 09 Mar 2013, 11:42
ACP

ACP
revolution wrote:
Can you just say no to receiving the updates and play the original?

Yes you can but eventually you will have to download it anyway. And I stopped counting games on PS3 that during startup says that OS needs to upgraded as well and to play a game for very first time you need to wait 40 minutes. This is ridiculous.
Post 09 Mar 2013, 11:47
malpolud

malpolud
we are no longer in 1986 Sad

games are a bit bigger than a couple kBs
Post 11 Mar 2013, 17:38
ACP

ACP
malpolud wrote:
we are no longer in 1986 Sad

games are a bit bigger than a couple kBs

Considering data storage solution (not only capacity but also access time) available to home computer users at that time those games were probably bigger than today 1,x Gb patch. And I'm still playing Impossible Mission on C64 emulator while I doubt I'll be playing some games from PS3 era after 20 years and marvel at gameplay and crossing of technical boundaries.
Post 11 Mar 2013, 22:08
AsmGuru62

AsmGuru62
Does all this apply only to multiplayer games?
What about simple First Person adventure/shooting games on PC (not any ??? Box)?
Do they also have same issues?
I want to get an Ultimate Pack for Serious Sam.
Post 12 Mar 2013, 12:47

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: