flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Windows VISTA sucks

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
TmX

TmX
Coty wrote:

Linux was meant to be ran on IBM based i386 computers, not everything under the sun... witch is a big reason for all of it's bloat.

Well you can hack the kernel and remove those bloats, if you wish Very Happy
Anyway my laptop is dual boot: Win 7 64 and Arch Linux 64. I'm using Linux-ck, not the vanilla/mainline kernel.

Feels great, I must say. Now Windows feels a bit slow, maybe too much services running.
Post 23 Feb 2012, 16:58
adroit

adroit
Coty wrote:
^ Yeah, that is because it is because it "requires" 1GB of RAM, it will run on 256MB though, I've done it on an old HP with a celeron. It didn't run to bad after you waited 11 minuets for it to come up, and if you didn't mind only being able to do really small tasks and try not to multitask to much...

It kind of evaded that 7 needs that much RAM. From 256kb to 1gb.

Post 23 Feb 2012, 19:14
typedef

typedef
Windows VISTA have so many "security" services running. Those services also depend on other services or apps and some are not pre-loaded yet and perhaps that is why it needs that much RAM just to process a mouse click.

Let's face it, everything you do has to go through some security check, yes even a mouse click to the windows start ball/button.

If M$ abandons XP SP3, they should release the source code.
Post 23 Feb 2012, 19:55
adroit

adroit
Quote:

If M$ abandons XP SP3, they should release the source code.

That would be really great, but I dont think windows will ever release it. They wouldn't even release then source for notepad, and almost any and everyone can make one.

That little security feature has its pros and cons
Post 23 Feb 2012, 20:07
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Coty wrote:
even most linux distros are getting power hungry today to... In fact windows 7 is even faster than linux
[...]
Even Linus Torvalds agrees linux is becoming bloated and needs to be re-written.

While the Linux kernel has been *ridiculously* bloated for many years now, it's not the main reason for most of the distros' high memory footprints, slow response times or high disk space usage.
Remove the huge desktop environments (GNOME and KDE) that come with most distros and install something (anything) else, or just choose a minimalist system and install everything yourself and you've removed most sources of trouble.

The most important thing to remember here is this: proprietary systems such as Windows give you little to no choice, while FOSS systems allow you to customize everything down to the boot chain software if you want to...

Coty wrote:
but then again linux is a bunch of bloat due to it's ability to run on about any arcutecture

Portability has nothing to do with bloat, since it's all different conf files and build-time "if defined" statements...
Some *BSD systems support as many architectures as the Linux kernel and they're not bloated at all.

Coty wrote:
Linux was meant to be ran on IBM based i386 computers, not everything under the sun... witch is a big reason for all of it's bloat.

Hmm, actually most of the bloat in kernel space comes from a shitload of drivers for every Wintel hardware out there from crappy software modems, to cheap inkjet printers with no PS support, to webcams and other random "U"SB hardware that need a million quirks to work properly. The life of all users - Windows users and others alike - would be much easier if "standardization" could be found in the dictionary of technology manufacturers.
Post 23 Feb 2012, 21:27
typedef

typedef
ManOfSteel wrote:
Wintel

LOL. Everyday I learn something new.

So is this like a derogatory name for the two?
Post 24 Feb 2012, 00:55
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Post 24 Feb 2012, 07:33
typedef

typedef
So I finally switched back to Windows XP Pro SP3 but I have to boot with my BIOS' SATA interface support set to "compatibility" mode else the default setting "AHCI" makes XP BSOD.

I'll download the drivers later but I'm just happy I got over(or maybe under) VISTA.
Post 24 Feb 2012, 19:29
typedef

typedef
Post 25 Feb 2012, 03:46
Coty

Coty
^ I believe M$ should offer a free legal upgrade to windows XP pro for any machine that was shipped with windows vista. Really what do they have to lose, they've made plenty enough money from it.
Post 25 Feb 2012, 18:54
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Coty wrote:
I believe M$ should offer a free legal upgrade to windows XP pro for any machine that was shipped with windows vista.

And what will this do to the sales of 7, and soon, 8?
They wouldn't even do that with a Vista-to-7 upgrade. And they'd love nothing more than killing XP for good. Expect more backward-incompatibility in future versions.

Coty wrote:
Really what do they have to lose, they've made plenty enough money from it.

It's nevah enough! For starters, their profits for last year were only 23 billion bucks and they still don't own your computer.
Post 25 Feb 2012, 21:21
typedef

typedef
ManOfSteel wrote:
It's nevah enough! For starters, their profits for last year were only 23 billion bucks and they still don't own your computer.

haha. What happens if they do?
Post 25 Feb 2012, 23:15
typedef

typedef
Coty wrote:
^ I believe M$ should offer a free legal upgrade to windows XP pro for any machine that was shipped with windows vista. Really what do they have to lose, they've made plenty enough money from it.

While XP has been the backbone of M$'s OS success, I don't think they would do that.

I was so shocked to see other people too on the net that switched back to XP form VISTA without even touching 7.

I have to say XP is the best OS M$ has made(at least IMO)
Post 25 Feb 2012, 23:24
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
typedef wrote:

Not much, they're just one step closer to owning your ass. One step at a time. One step at a time.
Post 26 Feb 2012, 09:41
typedef

typedef
ManOfSteel wrote:
typedef wrote:

Not much, they're just one step closer to owning your ass. One step at a time. One step at a time.

Well, they'll be in for a treat if they want to play it that way.

They should ask Sony and the Pentagon... they'll tell them the story.
Post 26 Feb 2012, 19:38

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: