flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > For the sci-fi peeps

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
tripledot

tripledot
Ridley Scott's "Prometheus". It's killing me, I simply can't wait. Anyone else excited about this one? It could well be the sci-fi film of the year. Hell, the decade.

But it could also ruin the mystique that helped make Alien such a timeless classic. Anyone remember the "space jockey"? The 25 foot tall fossilised alien skeleton, fused to the control chain of the crashed derelict? Ridley would now have us believe that what we saw in Alien was not the fossilised remains of a living creature, but some sort of bio-mechanical space suit. And rumour has it that what was inside the suit was actually humanoid.

I don't dislike the idea of the space jockey race having created us in their image, but part of what made the fossilised dude so terrifying was his bizarre appearance and the idea that he may have been grown out of the chair with the express purpose of piloting the ship.
Post 12 Feb 2012, 12:19
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I find that it might be a good idea not to get your expectations too high. Maybe it would be better to lower your expectations and then if the movie is really as awesome as you currently expect then you will remember it fondly. But coming in to a movie with high expectations and having the movie not quite meet them leaves you going away feeling disappointed. I suspect that high expectations is why the sequels of many movies just cannot seem to match the impact or enjoyment of the original.
Post 12 Feb 2012, 12:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tripledot

tripledot
With you all the way. But I can't help myself!
Post 12 Feb 2012, 12:32
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
tripledot wrote:
But it could also ruin the mystique that helped make Alien such a timeless classic. Anyone remember the "space jockey"? The 25 foot tall fossilised alien skeleton, fused to the control chain of the crashed derelict? Ridley would now have us believe that what we saw in Alien was not the fossilised remains of a living creature, but some sort of bio-mechanical space suit. And rumour has it that what was inside the suit was actually humanoid.
Certainly it would ruin some of the original mystery, which was great because it prompted imagination. Once everything is explained, the original thrill is gone, and your imagination becomes constrained to some mundane ideas. I want to have everything explained when I watch the science documentary, but in the movies like "Alien" I prefer to have freedom of interpretation, that's what makes them good.
Post 12 Feb 2012, 13:49
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
IMO, as long as it's not cheesy and superficial like most 2000s/2010s sci-fi movies and has a general atmosphere similar to the Alien movies (especially the first three), then it'll probably be good.
Post 12 Feb 2012, 17:13
Picnic

Picnic
Prometheus in Greek mythology stole fire from Zeus and gave it to mortals. A fascinating story.

tripledot i can not hide my excitement also. I try hard to stay as uninformed as possible, and simply go to the movies when time comes. Smile
Post 15 Feb 2012, 20:50
bubach

bubach
I can't wait - but I had no idea until now that it was so connected to the Alien movies. I'll have to re-watch them, becasue it was like 10-15 years since I saw it.

Have anyone here seen the movie Pandorum from 2009? I ask because not that many people I know have even heard about it, and it's worth a watch IMO. Certainly better than many other recent scifi movies I've seen.
Post 18 Feb 2012, 18:32
Picnic

Picnic
bubach wrote:
Have anyone here seen the movie Pandorum from 2009? I ask because not that many people I know have even heard about it, and it's worth a watch IMO. Certainly better than many other recent scifi movies I've seen.

Yes, twice i've mentioned it here. It's hard to find relevant good alien type films.
Post 18 Feb 2012, 19:18
AsmGuru62

AsmGuru62
"Pandorum" was not bad at all.
Post 19 Feb 2012, 12:45

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: