flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > ARM vs. Intel

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
xleelz

Location: In Google Code Server... waiting for someone to download me
xleelz

Post 13 Jan 2012, 01:47
typedef

typedef
of course, Intel .

Intel has always been the people's traditional way of computing.
Post 13 Jan 2012, 01:50
Coty

Coty
I'm with PPC Laughing

ARM is faster than x86s, consumes less power, doesn't have you jumping through hoops to use 32bit processing, doesn't have years of "backwards compatibility" holding it down, hardware is embedded into it like it's timers and input controllers, thus saving you from deciding what uses what.

x86 has years of "backwards compatibility", thus it runs "any" program from the 80+ even though that old stuff can't detect our new disks or anything like that.

==========================================================================

So this thing has an atom, piece of shit, 900Mhz Celeron benchmarks faster than a 1.66Ghz Atom! Plus a 900Mhz ARM CPU is faster than a 900Mhz Celeron!

Post 13 Jan 2012, 03:09
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote
typedef

typedef
Well, those integrated circuits are shitty.....IMO

And yeah, who doesn't love backwards compatibility ?

Hmmmmm ?
Post 13 Jan 2012, 04:54
malpolud

malpolud
typedef wrote:

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Different purposes for both.
Post 13 Jan 2012, 08:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Quote:
With FreeBSD/ARM, you can enjoy the silence from running your (embedded) computer. There's even a song of that name, "Enjoy The Silence", by Depeche Mode:

All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here in my ARMs
Words are very unnecessary
They can only do harm

Smile

--8<--

typedef wrote:

Backwards compatibility with what?
Post 13 Jan 2012, 10:06
Coty

Coty
typedef wrote:

Why? Because you don't like Intels shoddy excuse for integrated circuts? (ie: intel atom) I've seen great games on my ipod touch at only 800Mhz with it's HD display, that are much better than many non integrated shINTEL PC at the same price.

typedef wrote:

Hmmmmm ?

Backwards compatibility that no one uses? Win 2000, XP, vista and 7 don't even make use of this backwards compatibility, win XP has a built in emulator, so going from 16bit > 32bit > 64bit is useless! I can't even install DOS on my laptop if I wanted to even though it has backwards compatibility in it's chip, DOS has no fucking clue what SATA or half the other hardware in my PC is. And who, EVER other than geeks uses anything older than what came on there computer?

Backwards compatibility does nothing but waste uneeded power to run the emu circuits, even on my PC unless I boot it up, then in under a second, were in 32bit PM . Rolling Eyes

Post 13 Jan 2012, 16:20
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote
typedef

typedef
Coty
You are blasting Intel yet your box has a "Intel-Inside" sticker.

Laughing
Post 13 Jan 2012, 17:01
Coty

Coty
If they made good ARM laptops Instead of puny tablets, with that good for nothing Android. I'd have one in a heart beat. (Hey apple, hey apple, hint hint)

And my "box" is a PowerMac G3, only my laptop and netbook have intel.

Post 13 Jan 2012, 17:06
typedef

typedef
Then Intel wins after all Very Happy
Post 13 Jan 2012, 19:05
Coty

Coty
Your logic is faulty, I fail to see how you could possibly get that. Other than I have 2 intel PCs, which I would not have to buy if manufactures would make a real computer using an ARM processor instead of "innovating" 30 year old tech.

Infact, my next computer might just be an ARM, then I'll get rid of these lousy machines: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/27/apple-testing-an-arm-a5-powered-macbook-air/

Post 13 Jan 2012, 19:44
typedef

typedef
Well, you still paid for it though.

They don't care about what you think. They are in for business. And neither do I as I just bruwz the Internetz and yuz it for Lulz. Or maybe school perhapz.
Post 13 Jan 2012, 20:00
Dex4u

Dex4u
Its simple, you take two cpu's and OS's one much better than the other, but the one thats not as good is USA, so the USA one rules the world, the good one dies.
Thats how the story goes you see it all the time.
But wait! theres more, in this case instead of dieing, it licensed the better design to USA Co and others, the power that be though this is USA technology and left it alone.
And now the better design is kicking the Americans ass.
But the story does not end there, the USA will in time buy ARM and thinks will be back to normal.
Post 13 Jan 2012, 20:30
xleelz

Location: In Google Code Server... waiting for someone to download me
xleelz
Most people won't even touch computers other than getting on the internet or taking pictures... No one really cares HOW they work so Intel and MS can make as many crappy things as they want, because they know people will accept it...
Post 13 Jan 2012, 23:26
DOS386

DOS386
> Well, those integrated circuits are shitty.....IMO

Lack of reliable timing support inside the CPU is SHITTY ... on Intel Sad

> And yeah, who doesn't love backwards compatibility ?

BC AKA LC sucks Sad
Post 14 Jan 2012, 02:46
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
No one will win. It is not a race. Different markets require different solutions. Backwards compatibility (legacy support) is a very important "feature" of x86 and is perhaps the one most prominent thing that keeps it alive. Even ARM is now moving to 64bit and will have to deal with the legacy support baggage forever onwards. But emulators are slow and expecting ARM (or any other architecture) to compete while running x86 code is just not going to happen any time soon. The same goes in reverse, expecting x86 (or any other architecture) to compete while running ARM code is just not going to happen any time soon.
Post 15 Jan 2012, 08:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
malpolud

malpolud
Sorry to say that, but childish argues "which one is better, an apple or an orange" are sooo lame Wink
Post 15 Jan 2012, 20:22
edfed

edfed
maybe a new cpu family can be planned.
something that takes the better of everything on the market, and unify it in a sort of international standard for computation.
with sub parts relative to each speciality of microprocessing.
dsp, microcontroler, risc, cisc, etc.. are part of the same thing, compute and can be standardized now.
Post 15 Jan 2012, 20:43
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
edfed: Reminds me of this: http://xkcd.com/927/
Post 15 Jan 2012, 21:03
Artlav

Artlav
Interestingly, i always found the non-x86 chips-powered HW slower than the similar-rated x86 chips powered ones.

I have a MIPS64 laptop that runs at 800Mhz, and it's summarily about as fast as the 366Mhz Celeron system. Lots more ram, but slower I/O and the GPU is a joke even compared to a cheap AGP board from the 90s.

I also have a phone, a pda and a tablet with ARM CPUs at 416Mhz, 600Mhz and 1Ghz respectively, and all are much weaker when compared to PCs half or quarter their stats.

At least it's partially a problem of peripheral controllers and overburdened CPUs by lack of thereof, and the systems might not exactly be comparable.

So, what are the examples of ARM-based systems being better than a comparable x86 system?
Is there an existing ARM system, say a laptop or nettop, that would be on par or better than an x86 system with similar features?
Post 16 Jan 2012, 04:15

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: